Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer hacked

• Please log in to reply

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

The computer was bought second hand in Malaysia about 5 years ago, where I stayed over 20 years. With it came only some leaflets, user guide and cord.
Also ram was removed and replaced with a smaller one, which I didn't notice until much later, have replaced it some time ago.
I've got the laptop cooler now and wondering if you could give me some advice of how to update Windows without computer freezing, since I've tried twice unsuccsesfully before and turned updates off for the moment. Most important is to find a way to make sure that I'm not being tracked on the internet.
Thanks for your help.

Edited by janji, 13 February 2015 - 08:45 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Put the laptop on the cooler and then run speedfan.  What temps are you seeing?  

Your updates may work now if the cooler tray keeps the temps down.  I would try them and also the boot-time scan again.

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Here is the reading, the computer has been running for about an hour or so.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedFan.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I am afraid it is not helping.  Make sure you have the cooler tray turned so the air flow is up then adjust the pc so that the air vents on the bottom are getting more air.  What make and model is the PC?

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

The model is:

Compaq Presario CQ42-203AU Notebook PC

The fans don't match up exactly with the vents.

Yesterday the computer didn't seem to overheat.

Edited by janji, 13 February 2015 - 09:17 AM.

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Should I update some of the drivers, I've used their diagnostic tool, this is the recommendation.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_1.png

Edited by janji, 13 February 2015 - 09:29 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Drivers won't make any difference.  

Can you feel the fan from the laptop?  I assume it blows out the vent in the left back.  If it sucks there and blows out the bottom then you need to turn the cooler tray over.

I found a youtube video on disassembling your laptop.

As I said before it is major surgery.  The part you need to get to shows up at 4:50 just before the end of the video.

I did a screen shot.

The arrow is pointing to the interface between the fan and the heatsink.  This is where the dust collects.  I can't tell if it is possible to remove the fan without taking the heatsink off.  If you have to remove the heatsink/heatpipe assembly (the copper pipe) then you need to clean off the old thermal paste and apply new.  I always use Arctic Silver 5.  Amazon US has a kit with cleaner which I use. 

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams with ArctiClean 60 ML Combo Kit

I assume you can get it over there too.  Compaqs are known for the thermal pads drying out so if you go to the trouble of disassembling it you should replace the thermal paste.

If you do the disassembly then use a digital camera and take pictures showing which screws went where.  A piece of masking tape is nice to have.  You lay it down with the sticky up and then stick the screws to it as you remove them so they stay in order.  You can even make notes on the masking tape.

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Thanks for that, I checked out the video and bookmarked it, hope can get away with it for a while.

Turned of my computer for a while, turned cooler upside down, worked on laptop for an hour or so and temps have remained around 58- 60 C, also can feel fan now.
Is that ok to attempt installing the updates?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If the temps don't jump up when it starts working hard that should work OK.

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
From mobile right now,
Windows seemed to update successfully, then welcome screen froze and I had to exit manually.
When computer turned on home screen froze.
After that I tried safe mode, welcome screen worked fine but all I had then was a screen which said "safe mode" on all four corners of the screen.
Do you know what I can do to solve this problem?
Thanks, sorry for trouble.

Advertisements

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I don't think it overheated, there was no warning that it did, nor did it feel very hot, but can't say for sure.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Try going in to Safe Mode and selecting last known good or go to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.  If you get a prompt then you can type:

rstrui.exe

and hit Enter.  That should take you to System Restore.  Choose a restore point from before the update.

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi,
There is no option of last good ...
When I go to Safe Mode with command prompt, it loads the drivers, welcome screen appears, then command prompt, after that screen freezes too.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Do you have a Repair Your Computer option?

janji

janji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
No, only -Safe Mode with networking,
-Safe Mode
- Safe Mode with command prompt.
usually there are more options but not this time.