Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen Problem

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

The following information is provided courtesy of Tech Ztruker, take a look and see what you think; I would suggest you backup your data before doing anything else. That way if something goes... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

My default browser is already set to Chrome, and I never use IE. Windows Update already wasn't working before I had installed Chrome (which I only installed because of the slow FF before).

I did the steps as above, but Windows Update still isn't working. :(

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Couple of things for you to do if you will, download and then run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, this to see if it suggests anything that may resolve the present issue and I am not suggesting that you do upgrade to Windows 7.

Post an updated Speccy url for us as well please.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and it says everything is fine to upgrade to Windows 7

Updated Speccy url: http://speccy.pirifo...nHjvrxuxpsAV0sK

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and it says everything is fine to upgrade to Windows 7

That is a good sign at least.

Speccy is now not showing any Vista updates having ever been installed which is odd  :headscratch:

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests.

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to:  http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/default.asp

Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information  :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to here

All testing software can be removed as and when you see fit btw  :)

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

OK, here is the url: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25800356

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

There are multiple AV**/security software entries and Trusteer is still detected by PCP, most odd as in your reply #9 29 May 2015 you post that Trusteer had been removed and no more crashes had occurred since, the removal of the multiple AVs was suggested in my reply #30 dated 14 June 2015 and you advised in your reply #32 on 16 June 2015  "I did the steps as above, but Windows Update still isn't working.  :( " the dates below suggests that Avira may have been uninstalled and then reinstalled while the other security softwares appear to have not been uninstalled as suggested, with the exception of Trusteer any one of the other security softwares could be blocking the Windows updates.

** ESET is not listed in the Speccy logs else that would also have been suggested for removal.

Avira Antivirus
(15.0.11.574) Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 6/16/15   Avira
(1.1.39.17987) Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 6/15/15

McAfee SiteAdvisor
(3.7.228) McAfee, Inc. 5/21/15

Trusteer Endpoint Protection
(3.5.1412.176) Trusteer 5/9/15

ESET Online Scanner v3   5/5/15 typeantispyware.gif ESET Online Scanner v3   5/5/15 typeantivirus.gif

I would suggest that you try the following, create a new restore point,removal all of the above entries, run CCleaner (free) to make sure that all traces of each are gone, download/install MSE and then try to update the computer, if still no joy try the Fix WU Utility v 1.0 tool from here, please disregard any other product or service that may be offered there and as always be sure to create a new restore point before running Fix WU.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi, thanks for all the help. :) As in my reply #9 29 May 2015, I didn't uninstall Trusteer Rapport; I only disabled it. This seems to have stopped the BSOD as mentioned before

Oh I misunderstood about the McAfee SiteAdvisor. I thought that was just a plugin so I only disabled it before. I have now uninstalled it.

ESET was installed during the malware cleanup topic before (the topic that referred me to here). I thought it was removed during the cleanup process but obviously it was still there. Just for your information if useful, Windows Update already didn't work before I installed ESET. I have uninstalled ESET now anyway.

Last time, I did reinstall Avira, but I have now uninstalled it again.

I installed MSE but the definitions would not update. I kept getting an error 0x8007042c. Do you think this could perhaps be related to the Windows Update problem? Avira was updating fine before.

I have now installed Avast instead.

After all of this, Windows Update is still not working :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thank you for the update utcol2  :thumbsup:

The error code 0x8007042c commonly refers to problems with Windows Firewall, Speccy shows that Windows Firewall is running, it may be but at the same time it may not be and Speccy could only be detecting the softwares presence.

Please see steps two and three here only to see if they help, if not I will provide the steps for carrying out a clean boot. 

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

When I started my laptop today, I encountered a problem. It was unable to load fully, even safe mode. So I was forced to restore to before I installed Avast. When it finished restoring, it seemed there were some problems, as Avira, McAfee SiteAdvisor and ESET files and processes remained, even though the restore point was created after I had uninstalled them. FF was also corrupted.

I tried restoring to an earlier restore point, but I had the same problems.

I reinstalled FF, then manually uninstalled leftover Avira, ESET and McAfee files. Then I installed Avast again.

As for Windows Firewall, it says it is currently running

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Most odd the computer behaving as you describe, have you tried updating Windows since you did the above.

Advertisements

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yes, it still doesn't work

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not sure how much time and effort you want to put into this but if me I would only be happy knowing that any computer in my care was fully updated and secure, the following that I suggest will produce a log of all software on your computer including product keys and installed updates etc, the information is for your eyes only and all that I ask is that you let us know what it reports regarding Windows updates, Belarc Advisor

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks, I'm OK to continue with trying to fix this problem. :) What information do you need from the log? I had a look, and it appears I only have updates installed until around 2012. Should I start manually installing the missing updates in the meantime?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome  :)

Yes do try installing the updates manually please :thumbsup:  (try installing them one at a time to begin with if you will). 

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Just a quick update: I am currently installing the updates manually. There are a lot of them, so when I've finished installing them all, I'll let you know. :)