Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screens, many 'seems to be caused by ... ntoskrnl.exe'.

blue screen bsod

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Temps and voltage are ok  :thumbsup:

The cause of the latest crash is cmudaxp.sys which is related to your ASUS Xonar audio device, disable this in the Device Manager and see if the crashes stop.

Let me know if I shouldn't double-post even with new information like a dump file.

Good call, If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box.

Please note that I may not be around until Sunday am UK time as I have family commitments to take care of, my apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Advertisements

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Thanks.  I thought it'd be something like that.  I played Metal Gear Solid V for hours after that crash and had no problems.  It seems to happen now only when I try to use Reaper, and if I use Reaper for about twnety minutes or a half-hour, it happens every time.  Something I've just thought of is perhaps ASIO4ALL is still running on my PC (carried over from before I bought this sound card), and perhaps it's interfering with the Xonar drivers.  I'll try to look into that.  Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Caution: We do not recommend downloading asio4all.exe from "EXE download" sites. These sites distribute EXE files that are unapproved by the official asio4all.exe file developer, and can often be bundled with virus-infected or other malicious files. If you require a copy of asio4all.exe, it is recommended that you obtain it directly from Windows Software Developer.

The above is one such warning that I found, uninstall ASIO4ALL asap and see how things go.

NB: You should decide if and when you need any updates.

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I've uninstalled it via RevoUninstaller.  Haven't tested Reaper again yet as I've been looking into cmudaxp.sys (and the Xonar in general) and ASIO4All.  Doesn't seem that it has any well known connexion with the Xonar and crashes.  But the Xonar's caused people some trouble.  I may try uninstalling everything audio-related and using the Xonar disc to install the original drivers, as per one person's experience.  But how would I do that and know it was thorough?

Somewhat related, what can I do about background programmes/services?  I'd love to increase the overall speed, especially of booting.  It takes about ten minutes before the machine is usable, and since I built it that was the case.  It was never the case with my old machine, which I had for years before selling it and building this.  It ran as if it were still the first day of purchase.  I just needed more power for games, 3D modelling, and audio software.  I say 'somewhat related' because things I tell my PC not to start at boot just start anyway, similar to my uninstalling of the other audio drivers that just come back whenever they wish to do.  It just seems I need some trick to make Windows do any thing advanced, because (un)ticking the obvious boxes just gets over-ridden.

Thanks again, sir.  You've been a proper help.

protoolnut

protoolnut

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I've uninstalled it via RevoUninstaller.  Haven't tested Reaper again yet as I've been looking into cmudaxp.sys (and the Xonar in general) and ASIO4All.  Doesn't seem that it has any well known connexion with the Xonar and crashes.  But the Xonar's caused people some trouble.  I may try uninstalling everything audio-related and using the Xonar disc to install the original drivers, as per one person's experience.  But how would I do that and know it was thorough?

Somewhat related, what can I do about background programmes/services?  I'd love to increase the overall speed, especially of booting.  It takes about ten minutes before the machine is usable, and since I built it that was the case.  It was never the case with my old machine, which I had for years before selling it and building this.  It ran as if it were still the first day of purchase.  I just needed more power for games, 3D modelling, and audio software.  I say 'somewhat related' because things I tell my PC not to start at boot just start anyway, similar to my uninstalling of the other audio drivers that just come back whenever they wish to do.  It just seems I need some trick to make Windows do any thing advanced, because (un)ticking the obvious boxes just gets over-ridden.

Hi there, I have been having BSOD issues as well, they are awful and so hard to troubleshoot, so I really hope you get them fixed soon. I thought I might help you with your computer booting issue. Depending on computer and hard drive, booting can take some time, although 10 minutes seems a bit overkill, so you might want to look at how many apps you have loading up with windows. It used to take my computer a good 2 minutes to be ready because I was running on a slow 5400 RPM mechanical hard drive. I have since most recently upgraded to an SSD drive and now my computer boots in 10 seconds ready to go. My old drive was so slow that I couldn't even login right away otherwise cause windows to crash. But now I can login right away and use my comp. SSD drives are more expensive yes, but they have come down in price, consider an HD upgrade. Good luck

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Hi there, I have been having BSOD issues as well, they are awful and so hard to troubleshoot, so I really hope you get them fixed soon. I thought I might help you with your computer booting issue. Depending on computer and hard drive, booting can take some time, although 10 minutes seems a bit overkill, so you might want to look at how many apps you have loading up with windows. It used to take my computer a good 2 minutes to be ready because I was running on a slow 5400 RPM mechanical hard drive. I have since most recently upgraded to an SSD drive and now my computer boots in 10 seconds ready to go. My old drive was so slow that I couldn't even login right away otherwise cause windows to crash. But now I can login right away and use my comp. SSD drives are more expensive yes, but they have come down in price, consider an HD upgrade. Good luck

Thanks.  I know about the SSDs but I don't have the money for one now, and besides that I'm sure there's a way to make it much faster with the current hardware.  There's some settings I must be missing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

If Reaper is only the evaluation version uninstall it, if the paid for version make a note of the licence key number first then uninstall it and test.

Regarding the boot times, there is nothing wrong with the actual specs of the present HDD as a data only storage device, 7200rpm and 64MB of cache is fine for that, you would however have benefited from installing Windows on its own partition on the drive rather than having data stored on the same partition, by default Windows allocates the drive letter C: to the drive/partition that has Windows on it so you can imagine how much quicker Windows would boot from its own 250GB partition rather than having to scan more than 2TB of storage space.

I do have a canned text for helping speed up boot times and will pass it on in due course but for now just disable the following scheduled tasks and see how things go with Reaper and ASIO4All uninstalled.

10.9.15 10:01;: GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-95435350-4265177964-2103988519-1001UA
10.9.15 10:02;: update-sys
10.9.15 10:22;: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
10.9.15 10:35;: Adobe Flash Player Updater
10.9.15 13:15;: update-S-1-5-21-95435350-4265177964-2103988519-1001
11.9.15 02:00;: AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0-Endloser_Winter-Erik
11.9.15 08:01;: GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-95435350-4265177964-2103988519-1001Core
11.9.15 09:22;: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
16.9.15 12:05;: RealUpgradeScheduledTaskS-1-5-21-95435350-4265177964-2103988519-1001
Adobe Acrobat Update Task
CCleanerSkipUAC
RealUpgradeLogonTaskS-1-5-21-95435350-4265177964-2103988519-1001
SidebarExecute

You are welcome btw  :)

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Brilliant, I'll have a look at disabling these tasks in a bit.

I can still partition my drive that way, can I not? 

I don't really see the point in uninstalling Reaper (which does have a licence) because crashes only seem to occur now when it's actually running, and it seems to take a fair twenty minutes or so for that to happen as well.  I work mostly with MIDI so it's possible that audio wouldn't even cause the crash.

What I have done is I've uninstalled all traces of Asus's Xonar files and replaced them with these:
http://maxedtech.com...nified-drivers/

Apparently they're modded drivers that are unanimously favoured by anyone that's used them.  They've stopped some systems crashing during certain tasks as well, according to some people on forums.  I'm about to start up Reaper now and have a shower, see will it crash.  Some of these Xonar-related crashes occurred even when Reaper was open but the PC was idle.

EDIT:  Been running Reaper since half-one in UK time (when I initially wrote this message; not sure what GTG will do with the time stamp following this edit) with no trouble, actively using it for several hours.  I've my browser open with a fair thirty tab, and just now Skype and Slack.  I'd absolutely love some answers to my questions about speeding up boot time and reducing background programmes, but I'm feeling good about the blue screen problem.  Think we may have it sorted.  Can't thank you enough.

Though if you recall, when I first ran MemTest (not MemTest86 or 86+) it was giving me errors constantly.  Then I tested the ticks individually for hours and when I put back both of them they were each in the slot the other had been in and there were no more errors.  Each test was many many hours.  And one of the blue screens was 'memory management'.  Any idea about that?

Edited by For the love of sod., 13 September 2015 - 08:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

It is important that we deal with only one thing at a time so as to avoid any confusion or mishaps  :thumbsup:

As the computer appears stable with your present settings I suggest that you manually create a new restore point.

Let us know how things go with your present set up and the scheduled tasks disabled, if still ok we can look  at your other questions, I will mention though that if you want to put Windows on its own partition you would need to back up your data on the drive to another source such as an external HDD, this will allow for a full format of the drive and a fresh installation of 7 on its own partition, you then copy your data back to the data only partition on the drive.

The memory management may not have been caused by a physical problem with your Ram but a driver or Windows problem, again if needs be we can take a look at your Ram should it still be required.

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Ah sure they don't make it easy now, do they...

1.  No more blue screens, which is fantastic.  However, since switching to the UNi Xonar drivers, Reaper no longer seems to be capable of loading up 32-bit VSTs.  It used to implement something called bridging to do it, something to do with communications between 32-bit and 64-bit applications.  Now it just tells me the effect couldn't be loaded but my configurations will remain intact.  I've contacted the person that made the UNi drivers, and he seems fairly good at addressing this sort of thing, but if you know any thing I'd appreciate it.

2.  More pressing problem that I'm worried was resultant of the new driver installation and that the driver developer mayn't know about, is the Metal Gear Solid V now crashes with approximately the same frequency as I was getting blue screens.  It's done it the two times I've tried to play, the first time after about five minutes and this time after maybe a half-hour.  The second time produced an error message, and to my knowledge the first did not.  The error message simply said the following files may be helpful, but I didn't see these files in the specified locations:
  C:\Users\Erik\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7BBE.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
  C:\Users\Erik\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBC86.tmp.appcompat.txt
  C:\Users\Erik\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCA7C.tmp.WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

3.  I don't actually know how to find these tasks and disable them.  I'd assumed I could do it in MSconfig in the Services tab, but I don't see the exact same names there, so to be safe I've not touched any of it.

4.  Maybe I don't need to increase my boot speed.  However, is it possible just to make a 250GB partition of the 1TB I have free, install Windows fresh there, make the system allow me to multi-boot (I have it set to dual-boot Windows in normal and safe mode, as I've been locked out of safe mode in the past), then boot from the 250GB partition to make sure it works perfectly, then remove Windows from the partition it's currently installed on?  That sounds potentially simple enough, if it would work.  Otherwise I'll probably just forget it until I've built my next machine.

Cheers.

EDIT:  Played MGSV again, crashed in thirteen minutes.  Tried using the other audio devices instead but now they provide no sound, even with updated drivers.  Maybe another result of the UNi installation.  It does have something to remove Xonar's drivers, so maybe it has something to keep them from coming back, and perhaps it applies it to all audio devices, likely to prevent the conflicts that were causing my blue screens.

EDIT 2:  Played again, still using the UNi Xonar, lasted nearly an hour before the crash, no error message with any information for any crashes besides the second of the four.  No idea why the error message never came again for the others.
More accurately, the first crash had no message of any kind and I used Alt+F4 to quit, and the audio ran in the background until I killed the process.
The second gave me an error message that listed the files that may be helpful (posted above).
The third and fourth simply told me it had ceased to respond and asked did I wish to debug it using Visual Studio, or simply kill it.

Edited by For the love of sod., 13 September 2015 - 06:01 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
 C:\Users\Erik\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7BBE.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
  C:\Users\Erik\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBC86.tmp.appcompat.txt
  C:\Users\Erik\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCA7C.tmp.WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

These are Windows Error Reporting messages which are possibly caused by the modified Xonar drivers, you would be far better to remove all of the audio drivers and start afresh by first installing the basic audio drivers and testing, if ok, create a new restore point, try Reaper and again if ok create a new restore point and repeat the process until you have a stable machine or you clearly identify the problem software/driver, unfortunately installing modified drivers may have only caused you more problems.

4.  Maybe I don't need to increase my boot speed.  However, is it possible just to make a 250GB partition of the 1TB I have free, install Windows fresh there, make the system allow me to multi-boot (I have it set to dual-boot Windows in normal and safe mode, as I've been locked out of safe mode in the past), then boot from the 250GB partition to make sure it works perfectly, then remove Windows from the partition it's currently installed on?  That sounds potentially simple enough, if it would work.  Otherwise I'll probably just forget it until I've built my next machine.

Not as straightforward as that Im afraid, see MS article here, it mentions Vista as being an earlier OS but the principle is the same.

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I thought it'd be another 15-minute session of MGSV but it somehow ran for three hours last night, whereafter I actually had to quit myself.  This morning it blue-screened my system within two minutes of starting the game.  Attaching the new .zip file.

I'll go back to the original drivers, although they were the ones that were causing the blue screens in Reaper, but then, I'd used Reaper for ages before that started to happen so I'm not sure.  I'll try it anyway.  What's the best method to be entirely and permanently rid of these other drivers (RealTek, Nvidia, and UNi)?  I'll google it but in case I don't find any thing conclusive (not the first time I've tried a search like this) before you've responded, I'll have your answer.

Thanks.

EDIT:  Reaper comes bundled with the bridge plug-in, and now in the compatibility options it says it's not installed, so UNi must have mistakenly removed it.  Annoying but at least rectifiable.

Attached Files

Edited by For the love of sod., 14 September 2015 - 08:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

The cause of the latest crash is again cmudaxp.sys which is related to your ASUS Xonar audio device!

Use Revo Uninstaller (free) to clean up any possible remnants of drivers, see here

For the love of sod.

For the love of sod.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Weird thing, for all the UNi drivers installation did, it didn't seem to remove all of the Asus Xonar drivers.  I even had two installations of the Audio Centre.

I already have Revo for years now (and every other programme we've used in this thread excepting I believe one, which is SpeedFan), so I've already looked several times and see no-thing listed that could relate to the Xonar.  So, after discovering that not all the Asus files were gone, I did as suggested on this page and used the driverclean.bat and the Driver Sweeper:
http://maxedtech.com...shooting-guide/

Just finished another two hours of MGSV, after using the driverclean.bat and the Driver Sweeper and restarting.  I haven't installed the Asus drivers again from the disc, as I see no uninstaller for the UNi ones and they would certainly conflict.  The maker of the UNi drivers has responded to my initial comment (with a suggestion that unfortunately I'd already known about and tried) and I've responded to him asking how to uninstall if needed.

I'll let you know should I encounter any more problems.  For now, would you mind explaining how to disable the tasks you had listed?  Thanks.

EDIT:  Got myself another blue screen.  Played MGSV for a fair hour before it happened.  I'll try running the driver cleaning apps again but in safe mode (which was suggested on the UNi site), and then test once more.  I'm not sure how to remove the UNi drivers should I nned to, as he's not responded to me on that yet.

EDIT 2:  I don't like rebooting my PC so I decided I'd just play the game until it blue-screened, but it never did.  It crashed every half-hour or so, but eventually I became curious and kept trying to make it blue-screen by playing the game.  I think I got through about five or six half-hour sessions.  One time it gave me the error message with the files that 'may be helpful' and once again they weren't there.  Same location but perhaps slightly different file names.  Then I restarted in safe mode and ran the two driver cleaners again.  They did find things that were meant to have been removed, and on restarting there was no sound driver of any kind and the volume icon had the red and white X.  I installed the UNi drivers again.  Should we continue to have problems I'll try switching back to the ones on the disc.
Also of note:  after using msconfig to disable startup programmes, by reboot time is more like three or four minutes.  I'd love it to be faster but that's a big improvement (it used to reboot about that fast but not be ready for use for another five minutes or so, presumably during the startup of these now disabled apps).
My BIOS post screen takes about a minute instead of the five seconds it used to take before I'd finished installing all the hardware.  Any idea why?  Enabling fast-boot didn't help.

Attached Files

Edited by For the love of sod., 15 September 2015 - 10:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

As per my reply #26

you would be far better to remove all of the audio drivers and start afresh by first installing the basic audio drivers and testing, if ok, create a new restore point, try Reaper and again if ok create a new restore point and repeat the process until you have a stable machine or you clearly identify the problem software/driver, unfortunately installing modified drivers may have only caused you more problems.

You will find yourself going around in circles if you continue to try anything other than what is suggested here, troubleshooting is a process of elimination that can sometimes be more difficult than others and using modified drivers is only complicating matters I'm afraid  :( please use Windows own or the MBs audio drivers while troubleshooting.

Wdf01000.sys, a Windows driver was identified as the cause of the last crash, this is often associated with graphics driver conflicts, see here, but worth mentioning is that your video card has HD audio output which could also be the culprit.

Let us know once you have stock audio drivers installed and how the computer behaves, we will then need to take a look at your Windows installation as you have more than 30 failed updates and then the virtual memory as the present setting is too high.