Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The wrong Windows

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Hi all,

I recently had to reload Windows onto a computer from a recovery drive, as documented here:

https://www.geekstog...recovery-drive/

The computer now starts up and has some level of functionality but it tells me that the Windows I am using is not licensed.

It appears that there's a W10 Home version licence key on the computer but it has loaded W10 Pro (possibly as a result of the recovery drive being drawn from a different computer).

I've uploaded a screen print of the diagnostic.

I've tried to find the W10 activation key with the cmd prompt but got nothing. Sadly, there's no sticker on the side of the box to tell me either.

Could someone tell me the simplest route to getting my old Windows back?

Thanks in advance

RSP

Attached Thumbnails

• W10.png

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,979 posts

Hi,

Are you sure that the machine was running Windows 10 Pro before? did you purchase a Windows 10 Pro key?

From the other topic I'm not sure if you installed Windows 10 using the installation medium downloaded from Microsoft or using some Recovery medium created from a different machine that shouldn't be used on a different computer!

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Hi,

I can't prove it but I don't think it was running Pro before the recovery, which I think is the source of my problem.

I made the recovery drive from another machine (not an Idea I had but based on information I was led to from here).

Based on your comments, is the right solution to download a recovery medium for W10 Home and rerun the recovery from that?

Regards

RSP