Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELETED (C:) DRIVE! HELP!

bsod c drive win 7

• Please log in to reply

dalelister

dalelister

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Long story short: Get bsod, wipe c drive to remove os, cannot reinstall windows as i dont have "drivers"

My computer is neither new nor old, it has a decent amount of ram and fairly decent specs along with 64bit windows 7 OS and has been getting the dreaded BSOD!!!!!

(BSOD Info: 0x0000007E (0xffffffffc0000006, 0xFFFFFB0002F5AA93, 0xFFFFFBB0055... Dont remember the ending of this code hence the dots ... 0xFFFFFBB005527DB0) Sorry codes are incorrect, tried to remember as much as possible!

After having a look around on youtube and google i came to the conclusion the problem was with a driver that had either been installed or needed to be installed. Im not very tech savvy therefore had no idea what to do! At the time these blue screens were happening i had no alternative means of connecting to the internet other than my phone and couldnt start the computer in safe mode...

When tapping a certain button upon startup (F8 i think) i would be taken to a system repair screen. This screen had several options, for example system repair, boot from back-up, and advanced options. after trying all of these options and non of them working (i had no computer backup) i decided to use the advanced options. I suspect these options were added by the man whom built the computer as the name of the advanced options was very wierd... Anyway!! When i clicked the advanced options it opened up a new page identical to the last with about 12 or so other options. I can remember there being one called "hot fixes" or something along those lines.

Again non of these options seemed to work, i still had a BSOD so i decided i would just give up trying to recover my computer and instead wipe it and re-install windows 7. In these advanced options i have told you so much about, one of the options was a program that sort of reformats your computer, atleast thats what i think its done. It gave me two options, to wipe once or 5.2 us national security of defence wipe. I had no idea what the 5.2 us option was, i presume it wipes your hardrive 6-7 times to remove any traces of your existance, as this isnt what i needed i just chose to wipe once. When i chose to wipe once it gave me options as to what to wipe. This is where i got confused as i wasnt really sure what i should wipe to remove the OS so i just wiped (C:) .....

After this i restarted the computer and a black screen came up saying missing operating system, RESULT! I put in my rather less genuine windows 7 installation disk to run my setup (I have a genuine product key dont worry!) and i keep receiving an error telling me i dont have the required drivers... When i went to browse for drivers i clicked the C: drive and it says that it needs to be reformatted, i selected ok and then it pops up with a window telling me it cant reformat it.

I am completely lost and i am starting to get the idea i may have made this problem worse for myself... Can anybody shed some insight into what ive done, whats wrong and where i can go next? Oh its my first post by the way so sorry if this isnt in the correct place!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Dale.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi dalelister,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! Happy New Year to you, too! :)

What is the make and model of your computer? Was Windows 7 installed on it when you bought it?

Donna :)

dalelister

dalelister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey Donna, thanks for the warm greeting and quick reply!

The computer isnt actually mine, lent to me from a friend. I suspect its a custom built computer as the person who lent it to me has had it completely re-made by somebody who builds them i think....

The tower itself gives no clues... Their isnt a logo or model number inscribed anywhere. The computer did come installed with windows 7 and has the product key sticker along the side and an AMD processor sticker, although nothing else. sorry!

Its almost 2:30am in the UK so im going to get some sleep, ill be checking back in the morning so if you need any further information ill be happy to reply then!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Same question posted here: http://www.pchelpfor...drive-help.html

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Thank you ztrucker. :)

Hi dalelister,

If this is a custom built computer, what I had in mind won't work. Usually custom built computers do not have hidden recovery partitions which is what I was hoping to provide instructions for so you could restore to factory settings.

Beings that you are not tech savvy as you pointed out in your first post, I think it is best if you do the right thing and contact the owner who lent it to you. He may have the OS disc that was used when the system was built for him.

One of the other tech members may have an idea. I'll leave this topic open for them.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

Donna :(

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

A quick  Internet search, reveals that as well as the topic here at G2G, the same topic has been posted at PC help, bleeping computer and I also found one a wiki....

All seem to have received various answers and suggestions, and therefore I do not wish to muddy the waters by making specific recommendations here at G2G

However:

Wiping the c drive was not necessarily a very sound move, and neither is posting the same topic at multiple help forums....... nevertheless let's move on. 

Some thoughts that may help:

1 Inform the owner of the computer that it appears to have been broken...... he or she may have the Windows 7 installation disc that you may need, or otherwise have some helpful suggestions.

2 It is worth checking that  the BIOS has not been incorrectly set with regard to AHCI or Pata ( IDE) if applicable or RAID...

3 check that all the back ups of important stuff, are all fully working and comprehensive (docs spread sheets , videos, photos music, drivers, product serial keys, downloaded executables etc. ( including the key for Windows itself) and anything else that is important  and  with several copies kept on different media and with at least one copy kept safe offsite on removable media.

4 If you are not familiar with the computer and its operation it would be worthwhile considering consulting a local competent computer technician and ask them to give you a quotation for all the work that you need doing....as this may be the quickest method of restoring the computer to a working state.

Regards

paws