Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Still trying to download new version of Ubuntu. It ran for four hours yesterday before I finally gave up. I only had 74%. The little bar is closed on Wednesdays so I'll have to wait for another day. I'm sitting on the sidewalk right now.

Thanks,

Bry

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Tropical storms only happen in late summer, so you hole up someplace safe. And I get seasick too!

I need about five hours to download Ubuntu. I'll have to plan my time. I'll be back to you when I have it downloaded.

Thank you...

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

take all the time you need, there's no rush. :spoton:

:popcorn:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Option two worked perfectly. Now need to redownload Ubuntu, think I'll have five hours to drink beer on Wed.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not 100% sure because i don't use windows often so can't remember but won't the download continue from where it left off, that way you won't need to start downloading from the beginning again, if not then it might be worth looking into trying a different browser that will do this or adding a file download manager that can auto resume a download.

no recommendations for a download manager because i've never used one myself but i'd install firefox and use that to do the download which i'm pretty sure can and does auto resume a download so you can download a bit every day until you have it downloaded.

in firefox just click on the download arrow and click on show all downloads, a window opens where you can see the ubuntu download which will say cancelled underneath it and to the right you will see a continue arrow, just click on it and then it will continue the download from where it left off i believe.

sorry that was incorrect but did find a way to download a bit every time instead of using a download manager using the firefox web browser, but it's a bit more complicated and involves moving the .part file every time you stop the download and then replacing it again after you later start downloading it again.

full instructions here :-  http://www.techsive....wnloads-in.html

so now you should be able to download a bit every day for as long or short a time you want until you have the completed file instead of trying to get it all in 1 long download session.

Edited by terry1966, 13 May 2016 - 08:47 AM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks for this Terry... let me have a look. Slow downloads are a way of life here and to be able to pick up from where I left off would be a real bonus. For various applications.

You buy that boat yet?

Where are you located, anyway? A Brit?

Best,

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes i'm, a brit, i'll never buy a boat even though i have thought about it in years past. :D 

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Me too. Born in Wakefield, up north, James Herriot country. But my parents immigrated to Canada before I could acquire the accent.

Bry 

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Okay. A little bloated from beer, but I have Ubuntu in my download file. I have also downloaded Rufus 2.9. I'll try to sort things out tomorrow (hic!), but specific instructions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i know you have a slow connection and a video might not be the easiest for you to see but here's one that shows the steps to create and then boot the usb flash drive. :-

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Terry. Having an unrelated problem with my computer: Something in the AC is screwing up and I'm not getting a charge nor able to run the computer plugged in. Only had it for four weeks. Hang in with me. Sorry!

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

can you take it back and get a replacement, 4 weeks old i'd definitely see about getting a replacement if it's having hardware problems already.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Closest dealer is 1,000 miles away... live on a boat, Remember :D

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Okay. Think I'm back in business.

I was able to watch the video you provided. Thank you. It's a little confusing and he speaks a little too quickly, but I took a bunch of notes. I guess I need a dedicated, 4GB memory stick. That means a bus ride into the City for me. I'll get back to you.

Sorry. But I can't believe this should be so hard. I guess that's why Bill Gates made all the money: he made it easy!

Anyway, thanks for hanging in for me.

Bry 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i'd buy at least an 8GB stick, just in case you need it for installing some other distro with a bigger iso you might like to test out at a later date.

think you'll find once you have everything you need, flash drive, iso, rufus, etc all ready to go that the process is really a simple one.