Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is slow to load apps and browser

- - - - -

Best Answer memmons9 , 16 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

My computer is functioning much better now.  I think this thread can be closed.  Many thanks to dmccoy and inputs from others for your help.  Till next time.  Thanks again. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

memmons9

memmons9

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

I have a toshiba satellite laptop computer using Windows 10.  I have wifi service from Spectrum which is supposed to be 100 mbps but I regularly test it and its never more than 50 or 60 mpbs.  It takes forever to boot up and when I open a browser (I have MS Edge, IE, Firefox and Chrome seems to be the fastest)  it can take a minute before it comes on the screen.  Web pages take forever to come up.  Apps like MS word, excel, games, etc. take a long time to load.  I have McAfee and malewarebytes installed and they both say I'm safe.  I've used your services before to clean out the junk.  I'm hoping you can help me resolve my issues now.

Advertisements

memmons9

memmons9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Thanks for the post freebooter.  I used puran defrag while in safe mode and I shut off Malwarebytes and Windows Defender and am running only McAfee.  I wasn't sure which was the best to leave running but I figured I could run Malwarebytes occasionally to see what it could find for problem malware that McAfee didn't find.  I still have to figure out how to configure Malwarebytes so it doesn't bootup on startup.  Right now I am quitting Malwarebytes after I reboot (if I remember).  I have noticed a marked improvement loading any of my web browsers, especially after the first load of the morning (I leave my computer on 24/7).  

One odd thing though.  When I followed the directions to run msconfig in run mode and selected boot in safe mode, I checked the box for network and the computer rebooted in safe mode but my network was not available.  I shut off some of my autostartup apps too, so I think that probably helped too.  I'm sure I have junk on this computer that would be great to get rid of that would help too.

Thanks again.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I recommend that you remove McAfee and only use Windows defender for best protection and performance. Also to help clean up you system see the following: Ccleaner can also be used to disable MBAM from starting with Windows.

The integrated Windows antivirus programs are far lighter on resources and do not contain any of the extra junkware, ads, or paid upgrades like other antivirus programs. Most importantly, since it is made by Microsoft as part of the system it doesnt need work-arounds or hooks into your system, so its actually safer and provides better performance than other antivirus programs.

CCleaner

http://filehippo.com...nload_ccleaner/

https://www.howtogee...-9-tips-tricks/

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

In addition to what was said.  I would like to add that Kaspersky has a free antivirus now which can be found here:

https://www.kaspersk.../free-antivirus

Also I do agree with dmccoy that I would also strongly advise to take McAfee off as well.

memmons9

memmons9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Thanks to dmccoy and kiwiprobie for responding.  I downloaded ccleaner and am running it for the 14 day tryout period.  I will probably purchase the license.  As for both of your suggestions to get rid of McAfee, I have had less success.  I had figured out how to shut off Windows Defender and run McAfee. I even shut off Malwarebytes and will run it manually on occasion.  With your suggestions I turned defender back on and tried manually shut off McAfee.  Now defender says I don't have a virus protection and tells me to turn McAfee back on.  I guess I'm doing something wrong.  So right now I have both Defender and McAfee turned on and can't figure out how to follow your directions.

Perhaps some detailed directions would help.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Unless you prefer the free version of ccleaner is probably all you need.

To remove McAfee see th following link and download the removal tool. Once it is removed then Windows Defender should automatically start working.

https://service.mcaf...ate=ud80w9wtj_4

Once it is removed then let us know how it is running or if we need to provide more help.

memmons9

memmons9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I deleted McAfee and you're right.  Defender says everything is fine.  Should I turn Malwarebytes back on and let it run live along with Defender.  Regarding CCleaner.  I downloaded a 14 day trial version.  After 14 days it won't work I'm guessing.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay great. Only run Malwarebytes if you are using the free version along with Windows Defender. The full version is likely to interfere with each other. Yes, if you are using the trial version of Ccleaner then the full version will expire after 14 days but you can continue using the Free version indefinitely. How is your computer running now?

memmons9

memmons9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

The first load of my browser this morning was pretty slow but it has been much better on subsequent loads and transitions to pages are quicker.  Loading apps is faster.  I notice that CCleaner must be running live because each time I get out of the browser, I get a pop-up screen that says that CCleaner has cleaned my Chrome browser of an amount of memory in the several megabyte range.  Should I turn that off or let it continue.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Step 1:
Speccy
Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:
Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

2. (Windows 8 or higher)
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
Copy and Paste the following command, and press ENTER:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
This will copy sfcdetails.txt to your desktop
Upload sfcdetails.txt file

Step 3:
Download Process Explorer to your desktop

• Right Click on the procexp64.exe or procexp.exe and Select Run As Administrator
  • In the View menu click on Select Columns
  • Check Verified Signer, Virus Total on Process Image Tab
  • Select the Process I/O tab and check Reads, Rights and click OK
  • Select Options Menu and Check Verify ImageSignatures, VirusTotal.com > Check Virustotal.com
  • Double Click on the CPU Column to sort by highest CPU usage.
  • (Highest CPU Processes should be at the top once sorted properly)
  • Wait approximately a minute
  • Select Save or Save As from the File menu
  • Save SystemIdleProcess.txt to Desktop
  • Upload file to your reply

Step 4:
Download the enclosed Diag.zip file to your desktop
Uncompress the diag.zip file to your desktop
Right clink on diag.bat and select Run as Administrator
Once it is finished, it will create a SystemDiagnostics folder on your desktop
Compress the folder to a .zip file
Upload to your reply

How to Compress/Uncompress .Zip files

The SystemDiagnostic Folder should contain the following files after running.
    1. Antivirus.txt
    2. ApplicationEventlog.txt
    3. Dxdiag.txt
    4. Msinfo32.nvo
    5. Software.txt
    6. SystemEventlog.txt
    7. SystemInfo.txt
    8. Any Minidumps files that Exist (*.dmp)

Attached Files

• Attached File  Diag.zip   513bytes   419 downloads

Advertisements

memmons9

memmons9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Following your directions: http://speccy.pirifo...4yw8r0iof0PSJIz

Your step 2 is throwing me.  I click on the windows start icon in the bottom left corner but there isn't anywhere to type anything.  I know there is some way to type commands but I can't remember how.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
When you click on the start icon, just start trying and it will start searching

memmons9

memmons9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Okay.  Here is the text file you asked for "SystemIdleProcess.txt".  It didn't save as that title.  It is "Registry.txt".  I have compressed the file and is attached below.  The "SystemDiagnostic.rar" file is also attached.

Attached Files

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I only use the free malwarebytes which is strictly for malware. NO antivirus. It only checks for malware and only runs when you start it.

There is no need for the combined malware and antivirus.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
I was off all weekend and will go over your files later today or evening. However please see the following regarding No Antivirus. It is very important to run one.

Warning! No Antivirus Detected on your computer!

Please follow the steps below:
  • Download one of the Free Antivirus Programs to your Desktop (Read recommendations below)
  • Immediately disconnect the infected machine from the internet
  • Only reconnect to come back to read and reply to your posts
  • Once I have finished cleaning your computer and let you know it is Safe
  • Install the downloaded program
  • Please let me know the program you installed and if was successful
Why it is so Important to have an Antivirus progam installed
If you do not run an antivirus program then you are leaving your computer wide open to all kinds of malware, virus, keyloggers, etc. The antivirus program is the first and best line of offense against these attacks. It provides real-time protection by running in the background to offer the best protection by continuously scanning your system.

It is important to either run the integrated antivirus program included with your operating system or to choose a good reputable program and to keep it updated. The antivirus manufactures update their databases continually to help prevent the latest malware.

Your computer can be infected just from you visiting a websites through advertisers and other vulnarabilities. This happens with alarming frequency these days and theres no good reason not to run an antivirus on Windows or you are leaving yourself wide open for attacks.

Multiple Antiviruses is a Bad Idea
Having more than one antivirus installed and running can cause several issues. Antivirus programs don't play very well with each other because all of them want to control the system and resources. This can slow a system down considerably and cause a variety of issues such as erratic system behavior, Slow system, Freezing and even BSODs that can completely lock the operating system down. Also having more than one antivirus installed can produce false positives and actually provide less protection.

Recommended Antivirus Programs 
  • Windows Defender (Windows 8 and higher)
  • Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7)