Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent Blue Screen Crashes

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 June 2020 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for the additional info   100% confirms that your RAM is good and that the A2 slot is bad   Should you have any problems with the RMA, offer to send the merchant a link t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Three possible causes, drivers, failing storage device and Windows corruption.

See if you are able to force the computer to start in the Windows Recovery Environment (RE) by starting up and shutting down the computer two or three times using the case power button, please note that you need to shut down the computer after the MBs splash screen and just before Windows attempts to load, if successful you should then continue to the Troubleshooting options and then hopefully be able to use a system restore point or Safe Mode etc.  

Advertisements

mcm.himself

mcm.himself

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Okay I managed to start in Windows Recovery Environment. I've attached a photo of my options for system restore points.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo_2020-05-30_12-25-02.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Is the restore point that is dated the 26th of this month before or after you started getting the BSOD problems, if before, select that and see how things go.

mcm.himself

mcm.himself

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

It was before. I selected the 26th, the computer attempted to reboot twice, and both times I received another BSOD that read "inaccessible boot device" both times.

EDIT: My computer won't start up anymore after selecting that restore point, it's consistently giving me "inaccessible boot device."

Edited by mcm.himself, 30 May 2020 - 10:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Looks like Windows could be hosed  :(

Try getting into the Windows RE again, if you are able to, post back and let us know what options are shown to be available.

mcm.himself

mcm.himself

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

After about 6 or 7 attempts I finally got Windows to start up normally. I went ahead and uninstalled Comodo again, I updated Windows Defender and attempted a full system scan again but I'm experiencing the same issues -- my PC freezes a few minutes into the scan. I'm back in Windows RE, it's giving me the option between automatic repair, reinstalling Windows 10, booting in safe mode.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If there is nothing on the drive that you need, reinstall Windows.

mcm.himself

mcm.himself

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Okay, I've reinstalled Windows. While attempting to update my drivers again, I got another BSOD that reads "system service exception." I went into the Minidump folder and attached the only file in there to this post. 

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

What drivers had you installed.

Windows explorer was the process that crashed but no driver is shown to have caused it so it could be hardware.

mcm.himself

mcm.himself

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

So far just the chip set drivers for the MB

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

That was the correct way to go so drivers are definitely ruled out imo.

See if you are able to do the following;

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair tool from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

If unable to do the above we are looking at having to download a Windows 10 ISO and do a full clean install.

mcm.himself

mcm.himself

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Before I move ahead with those, I had actually done a clean install just now. Before submitting my first post to this forum, I had done a complete clean install by downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool, installing it on a USB drive and subsequently using that to reinstall Windows 10 last week. I followed the same process a few hours ago using the same USB drive when you recommended that I reinstall Windows, but I still got that one BSOD afterward when trying to update my drivers. Hope this helps.

Thanks again for your patience in assisting me with this, Phil.  :happy:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I see, when you mentioned that you had the option to reinstall Windows from within the Windows RE it suggested that you had used that option which if not already aware is called a reset as no Windows media on USB or disk is required to be provided by the end user.

Can you do the following for us;

Post a new Speccy url.

Let us know if your RAM is one 16GB stick or two Xs 8GB sticks.

You are welcome btw  :)

mcm.himself

mcm.himself

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Here is the new Speccy URL: http://speccy.pirifo...51vOH7eIECprXw1

It's 2 8 GB sticks of RAM.
I experienced another BSOD just a few minutes ago that read "memory management," unfortunately I had to force shut down my PC because it froze on that screen so there doesn't appear to be a new file in the minidump folder.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The last crash looks to be hardware related, we have two tests to do, one will take a good while and the other one is a lot quicker so we will do that first.

Completely remove the RTX 2060 video card from the PCI-E slot on the MB, hook up your screen to the appropriate video port on the MB, reassemble, test and post back with an update when you are ready.