Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer: Suspected Malware in System [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

I'm sorry, Ryan.

Although I told you that the logs seem clean and we could stop after the last fix, I can't be sure that everything is fine regarding other issues. It is obvious that something is not good.

I don't have anything else to suggest here except from resetting the computer. This will remove your installed programs but there is an option to keep your files. However, since there is always a possibility for anything to go wrong, I recommend you to backup your personal files first.

See here how to cloud reset your computer: Windows 10 Gets a Cloud Reset Feature, Here’s How it Works

Let me know your thoughts.

Advertisements

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Hi DR M,

Will this also remove my licensed Microsoft Office? If so, will I be able to recover it via the cloud reset?

That's the only important program for me at the moment.

Thank you!

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

You have Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016, right? Since it is going to be removed, you will need the license key for that. To get this license key, go to the Microsoft account, Services & subscriptions page and sign in using the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office. You can do that now to be sure that everything is fine. You can also go to that page using your account and just click on the Install button to install the product without needing to enter the key somewhere. 

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Yes, I saw it now. One last silly question: how will I be able to install the licensed Office back? Is it automatically recovered?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Oh, I just saw it on your instruction (last sentence in your previous post). Very sorry. All okay now, I think.

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

How do we begin? Do I just follow the instructions on the website you sent?

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Yes, follow the instructions under the title: How to Cloud Reset Your Windows 10 PC from Settings.

EDIT: There is never a silly question! So keep asking!

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Thank you! Will do. I'll update you once done.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Thank you! Will do. I'll update you once done.

Hopefully that will repair some things. 

Good luck. Looking forward to your next posting.

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Unfortunately, I can't continue after instruction #3.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

OUPS! Your next post came extremely quick!   :bashhead:  :lol:

In that case, we have another problem.

Now, you have to create a bootable media (USB) so you can repair the operating system...

Create installation media for Windows (microsoft.com)

Download Windows 10

You will follow the instructions under the title: Using the tool to create installation media.

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Thank you for this. This will take me longer to get back to you as I need to acquire a blank flash drive. I hope that's okay. I'll let you know once I'm done with this. Thanks so much for everything up to this point. I appreciate your help and effort! You're a virtual superhero, really.

I'll definitely be back.  :wave:

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

I will be waiting for you!

But... please wait to thank me at the end! We are still in the middle of everything!  :)

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Hi, Ryan.

Any progress?

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi DR M,

I haven't started with it yet as I'm still using my device for work. I'm planning to do the reset this weekend so that I can focus on the reset/fix.

I can also do it later at 2pm EST after work. Just curious: will the reset take along time? :))