Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer: Suspected Malware in System [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Yes, these procedures take a long time, sometimes several hours. I would suggest you to prepare the USB drive (create a media creation tool) and have it ready for when you decide to start resetting the PC. 

Advertisements

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

That's noted! I already have the flash drive, but I'm always using my laptop for work during weekdays. I'll do the reset over the weekend. Thank you for your patience.

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Hi DR M,

I'm about to start creating a backup tool for my PC using a USB. However, I found that I need my Windows product key for the installation media. I bought my laptop 5 years ago, and the Windows OS was already built-in upon purchase. What should I do if I don't have the copy of the key? Can I get it somewhere online? Thank you.

- Ryan

Attached Thumbnails

• product key.PNG

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Oh, I got it now via cmd. ^_^ lol

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Since your computer is running with Windows 10, you won't need the key. Actually it is a digital licence, connected with your computer and your Microsoft account.

EDIT: You are "just" going to reset the PC. So for sure, you don't need a key for Windows.

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Hi DR M,

Just one question before I start resetting my PC. After creating the USB media tool. What should I do? I tried resetting my PC, but it says that it still couldn't find the recovery environment. Thank you so much.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Hi, Ryan.

The next thing you have to do is setting the boot order, so the next time you restart, the media tool will be loaded (USB device first).

Here it is a guide to change the boot order: How to Change Computer BIOS Settings: 11 Steps (with Pictures) (wikihow.com)

After that, shut down the computer, insert the media tool and restart. The computer will start from the USB/media tool.

In the first window that will appear, you will select Repair.

Then Troubleshoot > Reset this PC

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Hi again!

My BIOS has a different setup than the one on the link you sent. I don't see the boot device priority. 

EDIT: I'm researching now how to change the boot order in HP Notebook PCs. I saw UEFI settings earlier, but I'm not quite sure what to do. Then, I tried restarting my PC again to check if the USB boot would work. But nothing happened. :( I'm gonna try again.  :)

Edited by rybards, 26 June 2021 - 09:03 AM.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Yes, unfortunately BIOS is not the same in every computer.

Does this help more? Grecian Geek Genius: How to start the computer from CD, DVD, USB (change boot options)

Can you take a picture of the BIOS so I can see what is the case?

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Please see the attached images for the BIOS setup of my laptop.

I was able to create a boot order (USB at first boot) then boot my laptop using it. The Windows Repair screen appeared. Then, there was an option to choose the device to boot. I chose my USB, but it failed as you can see in one of the photos below.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.PNG
  • 2.PNG
  • 3.PNG
  • 4.PNG
  • 5.PNG
  • 6.PNG

Edited by rybards, 26 June 2021 - 10:31 AM.

Advertisements

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

To be honest, I was a bit scared when it didn't work. I thought my laptop was not gonna boot anymore.  :surrender:

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

No. Something is not right from the beginning. 

Can I see what you get before the first screenshot above? The first BIOS screen.

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Do you mean the one with Startup Menu? Nothing comes before it. It was all black. After clicking Esc several times, I saw a small horizontal line blinking at the upper-left corner, then the first screenshot above appeared immediately.

Edited by rybards, 26 June 2021 - 11:21 AM.

rybards

rybards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

This may also help. Please see attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7.PNG

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Choose USB CD/DVD ROM Drive as first boot device.