Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell - Trojan virus - Slow Firefox and Edge browsers; pages don't

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

A few more questions please.

-----------------------------

I recently started getting this message on the fidelity.com website sometimes:

We are Sorry. There was a Technical Issue.

We are currently aware of an issue with some 3rd party browser plugins that are causing issues with access to the Fidelity website. Please try running your browser in incognito mode - or using an alternative browser as we work with the 3rd parties to resolve the issue.

Is there anything I should do about these plugins (attached), or let Fidelity take care of it?

------------------------

When the screen goes to sleep now, the only way to wake it up is to click the mouse. It used to be that pressing any key or moving the mouse would also wake it up. Also, it seems to be a little slower in waking up than it used to.  It’s all certainly workable. I just wanted to make sure it is not an indication of some other issue.

------------------

Why did Windows Security find the Trojan in the scan but didn’t find it in real time and block it?

-------------------

Re your last post, do you mean that I should leave those three installed Killer programs in the screenshot alone?

Attached Thumbnails

• Firefox plugins.JPG

Edited by wayneman50, 14 April 2023 - 04:08 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sorry for the delay.  Our dog ran off and we have been frantically searching for him.  We found him today but not alive.

I don't know what Fidelity is complaining about.  Have you tried with all extensions disabled?  If so then enable them one at a time and see if you can determine which causes the problem.  Remember to close your browser and reopen it each time you make a change)  Does it make a difference when you use a private window (that's what Firefox calls incognito mode)?  Have you tried another browser?  I never use Edge so I never add extensions to it and use it if I have trouble with a website to make sure it's not my browser. 

For the wake from key problem see:

https://www.makeuseo...keyboard-mouse/

No idea why Windows Defender missed it when it happened.  Perhaps it was just a false positive caused by a new set of definitions.

As for the last three programs it's up to you what you do with them.  Easiest is to just leave them since they are currently causing a problem.  If you want to get rid of them then download the latest versions so you can reinstall them without the Internet and then uninstall them and see if that breaks anything.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Sorry for the delay.  Our dog ran off and we have been frantically searching for him.  We found him today but not alive.........So sorry to hear. I've had a dog and two cats, and I was quite sad when each one passed away. I still think about them even though it's been years.

For the wake from key problem see:

https://www.makeuseo...keyboard-mouse/,.........Hmmm. Keyboard is already set to wake and yet it doesn't work.

As for the last three programs it's up to you what you do with them.  Easiest is to just leave them since they are not currently causing a problem.  If you want to get rid of them then download the latest versions so you can reinstall them without the Internet and then uninstall them and see if that breaks anything.

"Easiest is to just leave them since they are currently causing a problem." I think you meant not causing a problem, right?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

For the keyboard, try going into Device Manager, Find Keyboards, click on the arrow in front then right click on the HID keyboard device and uninstall Device (if you have more than one do each one) then reboot.  Windows should reinstall the keyboard.  Then go back and check that the keyboard is set to Wake.  If you still have the problem try unchecking the Wake box and reboot then go back in and check the Wake box.

Also see Fix 3 and 4 on https://www.driverea...eep-windows-10/

Do not do Fix 2.

I fixed the typo.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

The Recycle bin emptied even though setting was for “Delete files in my recycle bin if they have been there over 30 days.” I only deleted them in the last couple days.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like Storage Sense may have a bug.  I would turn it off.

How to Empty Your Recycle Bin on a Schedule on Windows 10 (howtogeek.com)

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Storage Sense was already set to Off.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I thought the 30 day retention option belonged to Storage Sense.  How did you set it if not via Storage Sense?

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

This is how it looked when I first went in.

Attached Thumbnails

• Storage settings.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Don't think the 30 day thing is active until you turn on Storage Sense but can't be sure.  I've never used it since I have plenty of room on my drives.  Any chance you have run Disk Cleanup or perhaps are running low on HD space?

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

No.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Also see Fix 3 and 4 on https://www.driverea...eep-windows-10/

#3 - I don't have a setting "Turn on fast startup (Recommended)"

#4 - I followed the instructions. No help.

I don't want you to bother with this wake up issue any more. It works with the mouse. I'll be happy with that.

If we can figure out the Recycle Bin issue, that would be good.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I got the recycle bin to stop auto deleting my files.

How can I provide some remuneration for your time and knowledge?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Why was it autodeleting your files?

My help is free but if you wish to show your appreciation, please donate to Kwiaht instead of me. It's an Orcas Island environmental organization that I volunteered with: http://www.kwiaht.org/donate.htm
(The name means something like "clean place" in one of the local native-American dialects)

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Why was it autodeleting your files?...I wish I knew. Storage Sense was Off. "Delete files in my recycle bin if they have been there for over" was set to 30 days. The files I deleted were not in the Recycle Bin for 30 days but they were gone. I set "Delete files" to Never, and now the files that are in there have remained for a couple weeks now.

My help is free but if you wish to show your appreciation, please donate to Kwiaht instead of me.......Done.

So what were your goals? I think you were ensuring that my desktop is running at its best, all software is up to date, and as best as we can tell, is free of malware and viruses. Is that correct?