Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Malware infection - help request [Solved]

malware advapi english-trainer.net

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi, Maffu.

I would like some more info about this.

When does it happen? With a browser open or not? If the former is the case, which browser? If the latter is the case, which browser opens?

Advertisements

Maffu

Maffu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I'm using Chrome 64 bit version 108.0.5359.125

Previously it had also occurred in Firefox, when that was my default browser.  After switching to Chrome it stopped for a while then returned.

This happens when I leave my PC idle. Usually for around 10-20 minutes. I had thought that it was only happening when the browser was open, but the incident that drove me to GeeksToGo in the first place actually opened a browser window of its own accord, also in Chrome - so it appears to target the default browser.

I noticed that the last few incidents were 6 days apart. (6th, 12, & 18th of the month) after cleaning/restoring.  I've checked scheduled tasks for anything suspicious but couldn't find anything.

Edited by Maffu, 19 May 2023 - 04:09 AM.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi, Maffu.

It's strange indeed. 

I would start with this:

1. Disable Chrome extensions

See here how. Then, enable one extension at a time to check which causes the issue. I know that you said that this doesn't happen every day, but it's something I would try.

2. Re-install Chrome - Clean install

This is more drastic. You won't have any extensions when you re-install the browser, so it's a good opportunity to check if the issue re-occurs. 

How to do it:

1. Backup your Bookmarks

If your Chrome Bookmarks are important do this first:
Go to this link: http://www.wikihow.c...rks-from-Chrome follow the instructions and Export your Bookmarks from Chrome and save them to your Desktop. Note the instructions can also be used to Import the bookmarks.

2. Get ready - Download Chrome installer

Download Chrome installer and save to install later: https://www.google.c...ktop/index.html https://www.google.c...ktop/index.html

3. Reset Sync (instructions may differ a bit, based on Chrome's version)

• Open Chrome and sign into your account.
  • Open a new tab and type or copy paste chrome://settings/syncSetup
  • Press Enter.
  • Select Sync and Google services.
  • Select Review your synced data.
  • Scroll down the Data from Chrome sync page and select Reset Sync that will clear synced data from Google Server. OK.

4. Completely uninstall Chrome

5. Install Google Chrome

• Install Google Chrome using the installer you have already downloaded.
  • Import your Bookmarks.

Let me know which of the two steps you will try. Go to the second one if the first fails.

Maffu

Maffu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Thanks Dr M.

If the pattern continues as it has so far, the next occurrence should be on Wednesday 24th.

I will disable the extensions and leave my PC idle for a while. And come back to  you then.

Maffu

Maffu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Happened as expected today with all but two extensions disable. (the two that were enabled were security extensions (adblockplus and ironvest))

I'll reinstall Chrome and try again in six days.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi, Maffu.

Yes, go on for a clean install of Chrome. Let me know about the result.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts
It appears that this issue is resolved, and therefore this topic has been marked as such.

If you are the topic starter and still need assistance, please reply back to the thread. Everyone else, please start a new topic by following the instructions here.