Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

onboard ethernet port not responding-lightning hit, adapter added

ethernet board lightning

Best Answer RKinner , 30 May 2023 - 01:46 PM

I always use the top one and then try searching for pieces of it. 8086 indicates it's from intel.  I poked around and it appears to be an intel pro/100 from around 2000.  The last dr... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Dell Inspiron 546, updated to Windows 10 4gb ram

Lightning hit router and killed ethernet port on motherboard.  As a test, I installed a usb wireless adapter and internet service is restored.  I have the following ethernet adapter board: 126890-93N-NK8I.

it has a intel chip but cannot find the driver for it. any suggestions on how to get a generic driver?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Install the board then search for Device Manager and hit Enter then look under Network Adapters.  (Hit the arrow in front of Network Adapters to open it) If you see the ethernet adapter then right click and select Properties and 

then click on the Details tab.  
Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a search engine.  Sometimes you need to drop off the last little bit.  Example:  PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_77211462&REV_0C  Just search for: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168.

If Windows doesn't recognize it as a Network Adapter it should be down under Unknown Devices.

(If you don't see it then View, Show Hidden Devices)

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

thanks for the reply...

it does not show up in network adapters as I now have a temp usb network adapter installed...I would think it would show both.  I then went to other devices and it shows a pci bus..device not connected...I tried removing and re-installing with same results.I selected driver and chose update and it couldn't find a driver.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You will never get Windows to find a driver like that.  Give me the Hardware ID from the device that says it isn't working.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I am attaching a screenshot of device manager because I am not understanding how to get the hardware id when the card I added is not seen..sory for my ignorance...lol 

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You are on the wrong tab.  click on the Details tab.  

Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a search engine.  Sometimes you need to drop off the last little bit.  Example:  PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_77211462&REV_0C  Just search for: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168.
Also I see an Ethernet Adapter under Other Devices.  That may be the one you need a driver for.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

which one would you select?

Attached Thumbnails

• port 2.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

I always use the top one and then try searching for pieces of it.

8086 indicates it's from intel.  I poked around and it appears to be an intel pro/100 from around 2000.  The last driver I can find for it was written for it in 2006 and says it was for Windows XP and 2000.  I did find this site which claims their driver will run on Win 7 & 10

https://www.driverma...1601-driver.htm

Avast scanned the download and claims it's safe but that's all I can tell you.  I don't recommend installing DriverMax which is the second download on the page.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Thanks for the help....my issue is resolved...