Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory upgrade

memory

Best Answer phillpower2 , 03 June 2023 - 04:03 AM

The only time that you will get a noticeable increase in memory speed is when you go from single to dual channel, any other time you either have enough memory for the required use or you don`t, two... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Almar

Almar

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have upgraded the memory in my computer from 16 GB(2x8GB) to 48 GB by adding an extra two 16GB chips.

The memory are both the same type DDR3 1600 Mhz, the bios shows 48GB but windows Task manager performance is only showing 16GB usable and 32 GB hardware reserved.

I thought this upgrade might help speed up my system but all it seems is I have more memory that it won't use.

All help appreciated.

Below is a copy of Task manager performance

Memory

48.0 GB DDR3

Speed: 1600 MHz
Slots used: 4 of 4
Form factor: DIMM
Hardware reserved: 32.0 GB

Available 11.8 GB
Cached 3.6 GB
Committed 5.1/18.3 GB
Paged pool 403 MB
Non-paged pool 222 MB
In use (Compressed) 3.9 GB (3.6 MB)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

The only time that you will get a noticeable increase in memory speed is when you go from single to dual channel, any other time you either have enough memory for the required use or you don`t, two 8GB sticks of matching DDR3 RAM is more than enough for most users and if the same average user increases the RAM to 48GB the speed of the RAM will be the exact same as that of the two matching 8GB sticks but 32GB of RAM will be left doing nothing as it will not get used. 

Short version, unless you do CAD or professional video editing anything more than two 8GB sticks of RAM is a waste of cash.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Almar

Almar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yes I do a lot of CAD work in 2D and 3D so I will have to see if it works when I push them a bit.

Thanks for your answer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You have been given an explanation as to why you will not see an increase in speed but without knowing at least the version of Windows you are using we can do no more I`m afraid.

Almar

Almar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Windows 10 pro

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Reduce the amount of Hardware Reserved RAM, see guides for " how to " here

Always try the easiest suggestions first.