Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield 2 Video Problem

• Please log in to reply

ecurb

ecurb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
On the computer itself there are two folders for NVIDIA. Folder one is version 77.30 and folder two is 77.72. When I ran the NVIDIA install program (thanks to you for providing the link) the installer came back with a warning that it was unable to find any drivers to update. Why is Battlefield 2 telling me to update my drivers?

Advertisements

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
You need to uninstall the old drivers first then install the new ones

ecurb

ecurb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think I understand what happened. On 6/22/05 I started playing Battlefield 2. From excitement and ignorance I installed the new drivers when I without installing the older versions. My question now becomes...

When I browse to uninstall, I see the NVIDIA drivers plus two patches for the old version. In your opinion, do I uninstall those too? And from an older post from Austin 0, he told Vgamer before he/she installs their NVIDIA drivers that they should get Driver Cleaner, remove the driver, then boot into safe mode and run cleaner TWICE each time deleting all it finds. Then reboot and install the new drivers.

Okay, this is great but I have not started up in safe mode before....

Can you tell me what steps to start up in safe mode and give me your advice about the above steps before I begin uninstalling/installing? Thank you in advance for any help.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Uninstall all video drivers, then leave the .exe for the new drivers on your desktop. When you reboot you will be in low res. Run the .exe for the new drivers and reboot

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
1 last thing, sorry for the flame. Its just that I felt bad for you not knowing that you could have gotten a better videocard for the same price as the geforce 6200/x300. I actually made that same mistake before when I bought a geforce 5200. A card that couldn't play Unreal 2k4 at more than 20fps on low settings. Although I had an excuse because my old pc only had a PCI slot.

ecurb

ecurb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was gun-shy that's all. I really appreciate your help. I had a hard time making up my mind about a laptop and went to the gaming only companies first thinking if they built a great system for gaming the rest would be there too. Most of the time the screens were too small or too fuzzy and usually the weight was way up there. It was a hard decision to make and I still keep in touch with Alienware in particular to see if there might be something in the future....

Sony VGN FS500P
15.4" screen
Pentium 770M 2.71 Ghz
2Mb RAM/100Mb HD (5400 rpm)
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200
Hi-Cap battery
Spire case (they rock if you need a case)

Thanks again for helping me solve this problem!

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

IF the game was functioning properly prior to the driver update, you need to roll back your drivers.  Use a driver cleaner utility (available for free on the web) or remove them using control panel (usually sufficient).  Re-install the drivers that were working and you should be fine.  In the 'Add/Remove Programs' component of Control Panel, both of your drivers should be listed as 'NVIDIA drivers' or similar.  The BF2 CD includes the most up to date, fully functional NVIDIA drivers.  Turn on autorun for the ROM device you are playing BF2 from, insert the CD / DVD and a menu will come up.  Move to the 'advanced menu' if need be and select 'install NVIDIA drivers', having removed the old drivers first.

IF the game was not functioning properly prior to the update, those visual defects would indicate that your card doesn't support an aspect of the game.  You may be able to remedy the problem by altering certain video settings in the in game options menu.

View Post

ya clean install all the drivers a new driver update doesn't mean its going to work sometimes u have to role back to older drivers I keep my old driver install files just uncase I need them and u need to maybe look at updating the motherboard and vidiocard bios..........

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
I myself have a good gaming laptop. Its called the Dell 9300 Inspiron. Its got a powerful go6800. You may be able to sell your laptop on ebay and buy one of these puppies for a little more cash.

ecurb

ecurb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay so your Dell trumps my Sony. Can you still help me out with advice? I found the driver updates. Found the cleaner pro. Uninstalled the drivers. Rebooted in safe mode. Ran cleaner pro twice. Started the installation of the new drivers. Error: couldn't locate any drivers compatible with current hardware. Computer started up without the NVIDIA drivers so I went back to Sony's site and downloaded the old ones again.

Just to further my pain levels I started up Battlefield 2 and received the same old and by now tired message that my drivers were not up to date.

What are my options besides the sales bins at ebay? Seriously there must be a way to work around this problem. Thanks again for getting me this far. I know there must be a way to fix this.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
After running cleaner pro and removing your old drivers, boot into windows - does it come up with the 'New Hardware Found' wizard for your Vid card?

When are you getting the 'no compatible drivers' message? When you attempt to install the drivers?

Advertisements

ecurb

ecurb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, I saw the new hardware message pop up on the bottom menu bar. Since the Sony has an automatic updater, I put the computer into safe mode without networking options thinking that would keep the updater out of the way. When I saw the message my heart sort of sank a bit.

When I run the installer for version 77.72 either from the download or from the rom for Battlefield 2, I receive the error message when the wizard runs. The screen cuts to a black image filled with serial images and then the error message appears...

The only thing that has changed from my first post. When I check the HD under NVIDIA there is only 1 folder and the title is for the xp 77.72 release. When I look inside the folder there is an installer program there as well. I still am getting the update drivers message from Battlefield 2... is this just another copy of the program... ?

Are there steps that I missed from the above scenario that I could try? I am not sure how to proceed and any advice would be appreciated. If there any ideas out there I would be really grateful to hear anything. Thanks.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Sorry, I'm a little confused. You've uninstalled all the video drivers that were previously on your system by using control panel and cleaner pro, correct?

If that is so, you shouldn't have any folder in your 'Add / Remove programs' list with NVIDIA Video drivers.

What do you mean when you say the 'Sony has an automatic updater'? Is this the same as the standard windows XP 'new hardware alert' that pops up after you install a video card, sound card or other peripheral device? If so, it should say 'windows will now install drivers for this device' and give you the option to perform an auto installation or to select appropriate drivers, right?

Is it at this stage that you are trying to install the updated video drivers from the BF2 CD?

Sorry - I'm trying to visualise the process which sounds entirely different from that which I see on my desktop when installing new components!!

We'll get there!

Edited by KGH, 22 July 2005 - 12:09 AM.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have the drivers 77.72 installed.

ecurb

ecurb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
On the bottom bar there is a symbol for Vaio updates. I am assuming that's where the message popped up. I may be wrong about that. The screen was pretty small size because the nvidia was removed.

Re: the folder setup that was at the end of the installation. I uninstalled and so forth then started the nvidia installer. At this point the error message appeared and the installer shut down. At that point I tapped the Vaio updater icon at the bottom and went directly to the Sony site where I downloaded the driver and patch that came with the system. The date of the software is 2/2005. I assume that this is the 77.30 folder I saw at first posting. Your comment about getting there gave me hope.

And I saw the last post and wonder if you could tell me how you worked the miracle? If anyone is interested I went to notebook forum and found somebody with a S460 asking about updates and the response was pretty interesting but would only update to 77.62 drivers after working through a bunch of steps. A last resort?

Again I am sorry that I described the steps without clearly stating what I did. I did the full uninstall, clean, install then the installer stopped me. That's when I restarted and went online to download the old drivers from Sony.

Enjoiskateboy

Enjoiskateboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey people i just joined this forum cause i was wondering if my AMD Athlon XP 2800+ would run bf2...the system requirements say it needs to be 1.7 ghz but my processor is supposed to be equivilent to a 2.2 but when i go to dxdiag or device maniger, it says im operating at 1.2 ... this is very out of my knowlage but i was wondering if you guys had a fix or an anwser. thx for the help :tazz: