Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tough Infection: Please Help

• Please log in to reply

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am about to follow your suggestions.

Yes, I am lacking system resources. That is what keeps getting worse and worse, even though I am not downloading any programs that would eat up my memory.

My guess is that it's spyware taking up more and more of my system resources... since it seems I can use some programs less and less without crashing the computer. Spybot for instance, crashes the system now, when once it did not.

Okay, off to do what is suggested.

Edit: did as was suggested, but the virtual memory setting is already set to be managed by the windows system... so there was nothing for me to adjust.

Edit 2: I just went to the Memetest site. I have no idea which of those I am supposed to down load. A suggestion for which would be most appropriate for my system would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by lbr_008, 28 September 2005 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I do not see any spyware on your computer.

Were you able to do the free active scan by panda? That would be a good one to try.

It does not clean up the spyware, but it will tell me if it is there and where it is lurking.

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I started it... and it found 4 cases of spyware. I was never able to finish it though, because my computer would crash before it could complete the scan.

Part of the reason, I believe, is I had to use IE in order to do the scan... and IE tends to get hit with the spyware whenever I get it.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
OK...try to defrag in safe mode.

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
How do I get into safe mode?

Also, when my computer would crash and I would try to reboot it, it would sometimes go into safe mode on it's own. Even when I was operating in safe mode, the computer errors would happen, and the system would crash from low resources.

So I will try to defrag in sage mode... but I think it will still crash.

And about the memtest... I would like to download it, but I don't know which one to download. If you happen to know which is the appropriate one, I will download it and use it.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
You boot into safe mode by lightly tapping F8 when you begin to see the logo.

This is from Keith:

He can use any of the downloads if that's the question, most suitable
is if he has floppy or wants to use CDR

Extended tests and as many passes / runs as he can, maybe overnight

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I tried defragging in safe mode, but it said I needed to run a scan disk first, so I ran a scan disk.

In safe mode, it actually got farther than it did before, getting up to around 50,000 of 1.8 million files (or bytes, not sure which is the right term) to scan.

However, it got interrupted around there and had to start over again... twice it did this, and then the computer crashed.

I rebooted in safe mode and tried to get into my firewall to see if there were any programs I could shut down so that the scan disk could run uninterrupted, but the computer crashed and gave me this message:

Invalid VxD dynamic link call from TEEFER (01) + 000IE560 to device "0028," service 800A.

Your windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows start up program again to correct this program.

So I rebooted in normal mode, and when I went into the firewall, I didn't get this problem again.

I want to do the memtest, but if it will require the windows to be up and running for a long time, most certainly the computer will crash again, due to low resources.

I will try to download the memtest now and see what happens.

Edit: I just downloaded the gzip file, and after I unzipped it, it asked for which application I want to use to open it with... which program am I supposed to use after unzipping it?

Edited by lbr_008, 30 September 2005 - 09:06 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Do you have a program to unzip your files. I use ultimate zip.

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes. I am using Winzip. After I have unzipped it, it then asks what program I want to use to open it with, and it opens a box with all the programs I can use.

I tried Adobe, but it's not a text file.

I tried Winzip, but that just causes it to mess up... so I'm not sure what the next step is supposed to be after unzipping it. I'm not used to being asked to open a program after I have already unzipped it.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
1. Download http://memtest86.com/memt31a.zip
2. Unzip it into a directory.
3. Run install.bat by double clicking on the icon.
4. Put a diskette in the floppy drive. Be sure it's blank or the data on there can be deleted- the data WILL be destroyed.
5. It'll say "Enter target diskette drive:" Type in "a:" (or whatever letter your floppy drive is in.
6. It says "Put disk in.." We've already done this, so press enter.
7. It'll do its thing, and the screen will go away.
8. Reboot the computer- memtest86 should run. It starts tests automatically, and will run endlessly. Let it run for a few hours at least. Overnight is ideal, your machine is unuseable during this test.
9. When you come back, be sure it looks like everything succeeded. Write down any errors that you got.
10. Remove the floppy, and turn off our your computer with the button on the case. Turn machine back on, you'll come back to windows

http://www.techspot....error-Help.html

Advertisements

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay, so I downloaded the memtest, and saved it onto a floppy. Then I rebooted, but the test didn't start, instead the computer launched into windows.

The tech help link you provided had this suggestion:

For Goalie's memtest-program to run, you need to go into the BIOS (press DEL or F1 or F2, will be shown on the screen at startup).
In there change the startup-sequence to A: or Floppy, save it, then reboot with that floppy in it.

When I went into Bios, the closest thing I found for the start-up sequence was the BOOT option, which then listed, under Boot device priority: ATAPI CD-ROM, Hard Drive (Maxtor, Bootable addin card), Removable Devices, and Network Boot.

Not sure how to manipulate this so that it will boot from the floppy and run the Memtest at startup.

Edited by lbr_008, 04 October 2005 - 06:00 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try highlighting boot option with the down arrow, then use page up key to show A or floppy as first boot device

Press the F10 key to save and exit then type Y to confirm, put the floppy disc in then press enter to reboot

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay, I got it to work.

Over 15 hours it did 20 passes and found 0 errors.

It was still running, but I had to go to work and didn't want to leave the computer unattended.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD then reboot.

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I don't have the windows 98 platform CD... I bought my computer used and didn't know enough that I should ask for it.

So although the computer ran ok, when I later tried to get in contact with the person who sold me the computer, he didn't return my calls. So I don't have the 98 platform.

Do I need it to run the repairs you suggest?