Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tough Infection: Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try the first one and then the second one to see how it gets on

My interest is in what is missing here

During the system file check, select ignore if it asks for a file to be replaced, when the scan is done, click details and post the number of files ignored

If scanreg runs and system file check doesn't ask for many or any files to be replaced, you are looking at hardware faults.

Advertisements

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The scan reg got 81% done, then it said there was an error in the system files that it was unable to fix.

When I ran the file checker, it found 1 fille it wanted to replace.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That was probably setup.exe

Try this

Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu.

At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.
Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I did it, and it gave me several days to pick from, from Oct. 2 to today... all of which were good.

However, it failed to restart on all of them except for todays registry.

Then it crashed on me... and I just now finally got it to restart. I expect it to crash again soon, however.

It got it running, but it keeps running out of resources sooner and sooner each time I use it.

Edited by lbr_008, 07 October 2005 - 02:51 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The concensus is a hardware fault, namely the hard drive

Are you able to have this checked

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
What would that entail?

An what about the spyware that is on my computer?

Does that cause any of the funky behavior as well?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should make sure the system is clear of malware before attempting to make permanent changes to the configuration because the malware will cause errors

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
LBR: I think you need to go with Keith's recommendation. It does not appear that you have any malware. Good luck.

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The Panda scan found 4 cases of spyware... I'm not sure what kind, since my computer would always crash before the Panda scan could finish.

My Spyboy is unable to complete a full system scan... it starts near the end of the scan, skipping 85% of the system. It has done that before, and every time it does, it is skipping over cases of malware. It was only after I had got the system somewhat cleaned up using other spyware programs, that I was then able to run a full spybot scan and clear up the other sectors it had been skipping over.

Because the Panda scan detected Malware, and the spybot isn't running properly, I suspect there is spyware on my computer.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Trend Micro has a new product that they offer on a 30-day trial. See if that works. If you can't get the scans to run and produce the results, I don't know how we are able to help you with that. I need to see what's running before I can tell you what is wrong.

It sounds as if it's a hardware issue that needs to get fixed.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will either remove or tell you what the spyware is, if the latter then post it here

http://www.trendmicr...m/spyware-scan/

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I ran the suggested spy ware program. The first run thorugh, it ofund two programs and removed both of them. Each further run through finds this program, which it removes. Then when I run my spy bot, the spy bot finds 4 programs to immunize against, instead of the three it normally finds.

If I then run the trend micro program after the spybot, it finds this same spyware program. On and on.

Here is the spyware it finds:

Name n/a
Database ID 44448

Path Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges\Range1
Description Privacy threats can create entries in your registry, so that they can store such things as configuration and personal information.

Threat
Threat Adware
Description AdWare is a type of software that displays advertisements on the computer screen while a computer is running. Typically, AdWare is built into software that performs some other primary task such as file sharing.
The justification for AdWare is for the software developer to recover revenue via advertising instead of for instance charging for their software. Some Adware will collect the computers usage information (e.g. sites visited) and send it up to a remote server on the internet where it is collected and processed for marketing purposes.

Produced By
Company Effective-i Inc.
Product Name UCmore Toolbar, IEextension
Company URL http://www.ucmore.com/
Privacy URL n/a

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
CoachWife 6 will deal with this for you

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

it ofund two programs and removed both of them.

What were the two programs?

Then when I run my spy bot, the spy bot finds 4 programs to immunize against, instead of the three it normally finds.

What are the four programs?

Go to start>>run>> and type in regedit

Navigate on the left hand side to this entry. Click on it. Tell me what it says on the right-hand side.

Path Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges\Range1

lbr_008

lbr_008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry, didn't think to write that down. The spybot program doesn't say what the 4 programs it is immunizing agianst. Perhaps there is a way for me to find out, but I'm not sure what the steps are supposed to be.

I was able to take the regedit to the internet settings, but it didn't have a pathway for the zonemaps. Here is what it showed:

Default {value not set}

EnableAutodial 00 00 00 00

ProxyEnable 0x00000000 (0)