Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing WIN98

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bamakodaker...Looks like you did a great job! :tazz:

However, It appears to me that your OS was installed in the "D" partition...which is ok. Let's take a look and see. Right click on the "D" drive and choose "Explore". Is the Windows folder there? If it is, let's rename this Partition "Local Disk". To do that, Right click on "My Computer" then Right click on the "D" drive and choose "Properties"...in the Label box, hilite "dsk1_vol2" and type "Local Disk" in it's place. If Windows is not in the "D" drive, repeat the "Explore" on the "C" drive and so on until you find it and name that drive "Local Disk". (This is not a big deal, it will just be less confusing to anyone troubleshooting problems later on.)

Next we'll take on the modem. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "Device Manager" tab, find "Modem" and click the + next to it...Right click on the modem and choose "Remove" and the click "Ok"

I just thought the CD was to be something like C rather than G.

Each partition on the HDD is counted as a "Drive" and pushes the drive designation up one letter...4 partitions C,D,E.F moves cd-rom to "G". (A and B are reserved for floppy drives)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 September 2005 - 06:48 PM.

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sorry about the delay. I didn't notice we had gone to a second page.
Modem - don't find any listing for a Modem where you said.
About D - which is listed as Dsk1_vol2(D:) When I do the right click I only see a trash can labeled Recycled !

Lloyd

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
When I tried to right click on E and F I get the message - .... is not accessible. A device attached to the system is not functioning.
Bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What about "C"?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
C shows a load of files and more. G also responded like E and F.

bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Here's some of those "Issues" I mentioned in post #5... :tazz:

Go to the Device Manager...are there any ? or !??

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Just to make sure I'm doing this right - right click My Computer and select Device Manager.
All items have names, complete icons, all have a + to the left.

Under Hardware Profiles I only have - Original Configuration.

Under Performance I see I only have 256MB of RAM but I have more than that installed.
System Resource - 81% free.
File Systems - Some drives are using MS-DOS compatibility.
Virtual Memory - 32 bit.
Disk Compression - not installed.
PC Cards - no PC Card sockets are installed.
In the window I see both Drive E and F are using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

bamakodaker

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

In the window I see both Drive E and F are using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

bamakodaker

View Post

This can cause problems.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Kinda what I thought. Let's convert E and F to FAT32.

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools >Drive Converter (FAT32)...Click "Next" and from the drop down menu, choose drive "E" and click "Next"...follow the prompts and do the same for drive "F".

wannabe1

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Going to where you said - Drive Converter (FAT 32)
There are no drives that can be converted to FAT 32.
The Drives window so only C and D and says they are already FAT 32.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was afraid of that....I've just asked tyger to join us....I'd hate to start over at this point. Multiple partitions in Win98 are not my best suit..... :tazz:

ALSO...we have an electrical storm headed in...if things start getting charged up around here I may have to shut everything down for a few while it passes over.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 September 2005 - 08:03 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
- - so I should stop loading software updates and other programs for I might have to do an fdisk and start over? I don't have any real software installed yet and I don't have any partitioning software. Do I need to start over?

bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Lets let tyger weigh in here. If you have your startup disk, we can work on the partitions through Fdisk. Worst case scenario Format and try again with Fdisk.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bamakodaker...

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you need four partitions on this drive?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
OK, I'm over my head again, but let's see what we can do. First, since you have an OS you've got more control over things. Windows won't allow you to format C: but you could do that with the other partitions, but you may not be able to if windows can't access them. Removing and replacing the partitions with fdisk, not the first one of course, it's working fine and has windows anyway, will cure the problem, at least it should. they will need to be reformatted afterward, but that will be very easy with windows, or even format.com. But you have to be careful with format.com. First I would open fdisk and ask for partition information, I routinely do that anyway to prevent errors. The first partition should be a primary dos partition, the others should be logical dos partitions.

What does fdisk tell you?