Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buildin a new pc PLEASE HELP! IMPORTANT!

• Please log in to reply

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
oh and btw i got the 64 bit windows and the 32 bit windows which is better? which should i install for gaming purposes?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
XMS usually isnt alot more but its a fair bit more in the 2Gb vareity it depends wether you want the C3 stuff or the better C2.5 and C2 stuff with the lower timings.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
oh ok, and btw what about 32 bit and 64 bit windows? read my last post.

THanks
~Peter

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
stay with 32 bit as of right now. Keep the 64 bit on hand for later. Totally up to you though. Thats my choice.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
64 bit windows is a little buggy, its better than it was, but vista is only a few months away i would wait for it, if you want to give 64bit windows a try though by all means do theres a couple of games that get a nice advantage ive always been curious to play the 64bit Far Cry. And they just got 64bit HL2 and CS:S out.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yea ima stay with 32 bit just cuz im familiar with it and btw whats vista?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Vista is going to be the new version of windows coming out next. I havnt even tried the beta and I wont for awhile.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
oh ok and btw i ordered a oem dvdrw drive by accident and it came in today, no cables or nothing else should i send back or does the motherboard come with some cables i can use?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Motherboard is suppost to come with them.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I looked and it shows a pic of one ide and one floppy cable.

Advertisements

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
o ok good, lol scared me a bit when i opened and nothing in it lol, btw jrm i applyed for GeekU :tazz: hope i pass or get in or whatever lol. :)

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
o btw whats the best way to format my old pc? put in xp disc? or is there better way because i dont want everything off i just want to keep word and a coupla things.

Thanks
~Peter

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I hope you do to. Good luck!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sticking the disk in is easier, you can get hold of versions of windows that have had things like word and firefox, avast etc. streamlined into them, youll have to look for yourself as im not sure if they are strictly above board.

You will need to reinstall windows because any new hardware wont have driver support on a windows installation from another computer, it only takes a half hour to load all the programs you need anyway if you have them read on a disk.

They let everyone in geek U that asks as far as i know, but we wouldnt know to much geek U is for helping with malware not hardware teching like we do here.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you had a spare harddrive you can install it in your old pc and transfer over or make copies of certain files. I dont think you can keep microsoft word. You might be able to if you copy the whole program onto another harddrive.

When you format the harddrive, everything is gone. You loose everything.

So, if you want to keep something back it up on a cdr or harddrive. Some programs wont let you use them if you transfer it over to another harddrive. Certain games wont let you do that because it has copy protection within the game and when you transfer it the registry gets changed and you cant run it. (Newer games)

You can save important files and most data to a cdr or a backup harddrive.