Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to tweak FireFox

* * * * * 7 votes

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
mrg201,

Was this a general question about an audio/video playback application, or was it a Firefox addon? If it's an audio/video question, then ask it here: http://www.geekstogo...diting-f87.html. If it's a Firefox question, then ask it here: http://www.geekstogo...owsers-f26.html

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
oh im sorry for the confusion

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
[Arrogant, unhelpful, and rude comments removed.]
This site is based on the open exchange of ideas. You're entitled to your opinion, but that don't try and infer we're idiots :whistling:

Edited by admin, 14 November 2006 - 09:43 AM.

broccoliboy98

broccoliboy98

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
mrg-i think you're looking for FoxyTunes, it allows you to control your music player from within your firefox browser. also, you can put it in mini mode, and use it outside the browser. here's the link: FoxyTunes

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
One good tutorial that goes into more depth is http://www.tweakguid.../Firefox_1.html, it is also a bit bloated like all his other tutorials.

Everything that can be tweaked can be done manually rather than with fastfox the problem with some of the tweaks is they increase the load on the servers you access which means you wont be able to access some sites as they will have banned people trying to use the tweaks. If you want speed go for opera or another browser firefox is for the extensions more than anything else.

That is partly true. The real hit of FasterFox is its turbocharger, a very aggressive pages catching method. It downloading the content of every link on the page, only a fraction of which you are likely to visit. And it does allow web designers to stop this by adding to the robots.txt
User-agent: Fasterfox
Disallow: /
If your struggling with keeping you web site on line because of bandwidth used I recommend this be used to prevent FasterFox making it worse.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

hey i have a question... does anyone know how to umm i saw on someone's laptop where they had like a menu thing across their desktop with controls... controls such as play, stop, pause, ff, rw, volume up and down, stuff like that.

Does anyone know where i can get something like that. I think its an application of some sort and it would look good and benefit me soo much with my laptop. I am using firefox 2.0 with the noia theme

That would probably be the extension called FoxyTunes. Link here.

I have updated the guide for FireFox 2.0. Some changes:

- Added information on close boxes
- Added new extensions
- Added section on downside to FireFox
- Removed image from themes to slim down guide
- Removed FasterFox (combo of FireTune\manual config of pipetuning more robust and faster)
- Fixed general typos

Edited by wm_hunter, 18 March 2007 - 04:28 PM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Wow, really great post. I love firefox and i also like the new "X" button on each tab so i didnt modify that :whistling:

Nice post well done and thanks!!

Gentoolink

Gentoolink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the tweaks! :whistling:

Kais3r

Kais3r

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I already knew about the tweaks, but not about that add-on. Thanks man, keep up the good work!

antmanbee

antmanbee

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I did the Firefox tweak
WOWIE ZOWIE! :)
browser much faster....
thanks

Advertisements

Ashley Poole

Ashley Poole

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
AWESOME how-to guide! There are tons of sites that you can only view using IE. I used to always use IE for browsing until I found Firefox and I have to say I will NEVER use another one!

I tweaked Firefox according to your guide and also downloaded Firetune and it's running faster than ever!

Oh...and BTW on Firetune the settings stay on 8 @ the step:
"Change network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to 8"

Good job...now I need to tweak XP to my liking =D

thanks a million
Ashley

Now....if only I can get rid of these pesky viruses... =( If anyone can help, please check my last posting

Transcriptionist

Transcriptionist

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have Firefox 3.5.2. Do I need to tweak it by using about:config and if so, how can I go about doing it?

NexRad

NexRad

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

I have Firefox 3.5.2. Do I need to tweak it by using about:config and if so, how can I go about doing it?

I am waiting on this answer too. This will be my first time :) using FireFox. I am going to remain subscribed to this thread b/c I need help with the transition from IE (feel I will need the help anyway).

Transcriptionist

Transcriptionist

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
NexRad

You couldn't have come to a nicer place. It may take some time because there are so many queries to be attended to, but I have invariably found the right answers in this forum.

NexRad

NexRad

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I completely agree. I fell in love with this site when I was searching for Malware Removal classes. I was going to apply at a few of them and then attend the first one that replied but after I saw this one I was hooked. :)