Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

repair problems

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.aurcity.c...ionsarchive.asp

about 3 quarters of the way down...there's a recovery console option...i'm trying to find a bit more info on this option for you

as far as the floppy goes...if you can get one...try it..

Advertisements

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Ok thanks for the info. I've never used ghost can I use it without windows working properly??+

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd skip the ghost option...as you would have to buy that...that's just a backup precaution in case the steps mentioned bugger the whole thing all the way up...so...in light of that...before we try anything in the recovery console...i would put the drive in another machine and copy out all your important documents..and files..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
boot to the recovery console from the xp cd

and do chckdsk /r ....let that run until it's completed...and report back

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
all right I'll do that. (btw, I have a legit copy of ghost) :tazz: I'd rather do it the other way though.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
well as soon as I can get into Recovery Console I'll start copying files. It keeps telling me the administrator password is invalid.. I never had a password.

uugh I hate windows

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried nothing as the pw?

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
yeah that's the first thing I tried.. followed by admin, password, Administrator and other various things

It let me in one time earlier before you found that link.. now it won't let me in..

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I wonder if I should just do a parallel install

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm leaning (at this stage) towards putting the drive into another computer...backing up your data...then starting over on this one...i dislike parrallell installs because they cause alot of clutter...and on occasion...serious problems

Advertisements

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I've backed up all the doc's (pics docs etc) and emails.. I forgot to save over the favorites and such. At this point.. since I can't get into windows at all to change anything I'm thinking cleaning it out is the way to go

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i always hate going that route...especially when there was a step that could have worked...but couldn't be tried (since your machine is no longer liking lettting you into recovery console)...but in this case it seems to be our best option..

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
hahaha I put in my old 2000 pro disk and got into the RC that way. I wonder if I can still copy over from C:\windows\repair over to c:\windows\system32\config without any issues.

should be ok to try anyway.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
recovery console is recovery console...as long as it gives you access to the same files it should be ok

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
looks like it's the same files to me

so much for XP security eh?