Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall OS after hard drive crash

• Please log in to reply

nativetexan2

nativetexan2

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

I was working on one of my older computers running XP when the hard drive crashed and I lost everything on the drive. I installed one of my backup hard drives to replace the bad hard drive. After reformatting the hard drive, my computer recognized the blank hard drive but I could not reinstall the O/S using the original CD. I get a "No Boot Record" message Did I miss a step with the replacement hard drive?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

I was working on one of my older computers running XP when the hard drive crashed and I lost everything on the drive. I installed one of my backup hard drives to replace the bad hard drive. After reformatting the hard drive, my computer recognized the blank hard drive but I could not reinstall the O/S using the original CD. I get a "No Boot Record" message Did I miss a step with the replacement hard drive?

Sorry but you have post on a tech forum asking for help but have provided zero information about your computer or it`s hardware, this makes it impossible for anyone to even hazard a guess as to what is going on.

Is the PC a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the CPU, MB and what OS are you trying to install, providing these details will enable folk to better help you.

nativetexan2

nativetexan2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Sorry, I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 running XP Pro. I run an older version of wildsoft which is a surveying software and will not run on win 7 and up. After the drive crashed, I formatted a disk drive I had and installed it. I changed the boot sequence in Bios and started the computer with the XP install CD loaded. The install disk started loading files but it got to a point and gave me a message saying No Boot Record found. I must have missed a step after I formatted the hard drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

The earliest drivers for the Dell optiplex 3020 are for Windows 7 so not even sure how you ever ran XP on it in the first place.

Is the XP Pro disk you have a genuine Microsoft disk and what service pack is it.