Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

computersomdumb

computersomdumb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. I checked out the link you provided to microsoft. Everything the article is referring to is about windows not starting or booting. My computer boots fine, I mean I do have errors once logged in, but I'm able to get in. I am able to run a few things in Safe Mode but the internet and most everything is locked including the desktop icons. It is pretty much usless.

I was going to do the repair but it is not giving me the option to repair it. Should I still go through the link you sent regarding the registry items. When booting from the XP cd, it is showing that I have spaced used on the c drive but it is like it wants me to start from scratch.

Any suggestions would be much appriciated. Thanks again.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
That's unusual. :)

Have you checked the hard drive for errors? Click Start, Run..., type, "chkdsk /f".

P.S. Hundreds of people view this topic every day. We can't individually support every question here. If you continue having problems, please post in the Windows XP forum.

roki

roki

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Admin.
I have a problem with my computer that doesnt allow me to reinstall windows. Even if I try to change the order in the bios the cd doesnt run. Im really desperate because I tryed it all and I just dont know what to do? Is there any other possibility how to repair or reinstall windows xp?
If you need more info I can copy paste some of my previous topics.
regards

pinestraw

pinestraw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have put in my windows CD to begin a repair. It seems to have stopped on installing window. It has been in the same place for nearly 3 hours. What ahould I do?

mikeguill

mikeguill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, new user and totally lost. I followed the instructions to repair. I'm on the second stage where it's running through the installation. It stalls out with 34 minutes left, the green bar is about 2/3 complete and says "Installing Devices" of which I have none currently attached except for keyboard and mouse. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 740 XP Pro and all the disk came with the computer. Any suggestions? And Thanks.

janssen

janssen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have exactly the same problem, repair also stops with 34 minutes left. Anybody has a solution?

mikeguill

mikeguill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I finally got it to work but now have a completely new problem with exceeding my profile memory, so I'm just going to grab the data in safe mode and reformat the whole computer.

To get through the pausing though I had to manually turn it off and on until it got stuck again and then turn off and on again. eventually it finally ran through the whole thing. This might have caused my profile problems but at least I can get in in safe mode and grab the data to an external. Just have to be patient but when you do get stuck just turn it off and back on (but don't be too quick to do so). I'm not a GEEK so take the above advice at your own peril; just relaying how I finally got through it.

janssen

janssen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, I will try this and see if it works. Luckely most of my data is saved.

Colonel Santiago

Colonel Santiago

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - really appreciate all the advice posted up until this point! Incredibly useful, so thanks!

I'm currently 'repairing' my Windows XP (Home), which was originally installed on my Dell Desktop using the re-installation CD provided by Dell.

Having followed all instructions, I've been able to follow them through until completion (or so i would seem) but now the computer will not boot (whether it's safe mode/normal etc).

It will take me to the black/white screen 'Windows was not shut down properly, do you wish to start in safe mode'. I can select and choose an option and windows appears to begin loading (XP logo and scrolling blue bar) but the computer then starts the boot process again as if it's been reset.

No matter which mode I try to load in, I can't get into windows.

Any suggestions on how I can get in and whether you think there may be underlying problems?

Many thanks,

The Colonel x

Edited by Colonel Santiago, 15 July 2009 - 07:54 AM.

cake87

cake87

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello.

My boyfriend's laptop had a problem with the program 'Help and Support'. The problem was it wasn't loading. It was the same when using Word or Internet Explorer and selecting help at the top, it wouldn't load.

Used the windows repair as explained above and bob's your uncle, all help features now load and work!

Just the tonic!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Advertisements

madeinoregon

madeinoregon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alrighty then. Now don't yell at me if I don't follow the rules :) But, I think this is the right place. Community leaders are so demanding! <<-----sarcasm.

I've been at this for days. Exhausting. Okay, got a malware, some fake ad thing that snatched my firewall right before my very eyes. I had a Norton firewall and ongoing virus scan...... ...My exhsb is one of you types and he was going to just reinstall Windows after I was days trying to rid of it and then did a repair. I had files on there that I know have on a flash drive..that I spent painstaking days getting off...... After I did that, I followed your cocktail and blah blah end of that. BUT, whooda thunk. I can't get my dang data OFF.

So now, I want to clean up my system..I have had my share of infestation so thought I'd get all my data off..applications I don't need and spiff it up. I figured it might be a good thing if there are hiding trojans too because they seem to be never-ending....or will that even fix it? I've repaired, reinstalled, hosed it out,washed it off.. and my DATA won't go away. So much for spending 3 days tenderly retrieving it.

So, is uninstalling/reinstalling a better solution than just a repair? Is it more thorough? If so, any ideas how I might have it rip all the crap out? If I sit and uninstall the files and apps manually, it will still leave all of that sitting somewhere and I want it CLEAN. Or am I obsessing? Should I just sit and manually delete my files I want off? Am I rambling?? It's hotter than [bleep] here. I can't think straight.

thanks a lot...you guys are da bomb...debbie

someone please help me find the send button before i start crying...

anan0289

anan0289

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help!

My laptop has recently stopped working, Windows wont load on it anymore. So I'm trying to fix it, I followed the instructions here but when I'm supposed to press R to select repair there is no repair option. It just says: To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press Enter. To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C. To delete the selected partition, press D.

So does this mean I have to delete all the stuff thats on my laptop or is there another way around it? like maybe if I took it to a shop they'd be able to fix it?

thanks,

Anna.

madeinoregon

madeinoregon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I came to have a look at anan02's reply, but actually Anna is also sending a question. I think we aren't quite sure how to stay on topic when we are having problems that involve 2 categories..malware and Windows XP. She has the opposite problem I do. She wants her data, I can't get mine off.

Today this... I'm looking for a XAMPP download and everywhere I went online, I would always end up on SourceForge's site and then as soon as I got to their site,the files would start going nuts. Later, I was trying to see if the application I have was intact enough so I can work on my dang website...and same thing..in comes the crap from SourceForge As soon as I touched the word XAMPP, it would get the stuff from SourceForge which was in Firefox and I had closed Firefox and opened up IE to try to run. None of those XAMPP files come off without trickery and a whole load of hide and seek.

I'll go look at the other post in XP as well.

cake87

cake87

• Pip
  • 4 posts
madeinoregon (Debbie)

First of all, a bit harsh calling us 'you types'!

It sounds like you've got a lot of files not being used and taking up space and these could be files installed that are no longer used temporary files. Try ccleaner, free and easy to use and very quick at freeing up space on the C: drive (main drive). Ccleaner cn be found on a the web.

The next suggestion i have is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Again free, quick and easy to get rid of bugs, viruses, malware etc. Again can be found on the web.

Finally I would recommend a repair only if your WINDOWS computer programs aren't working not programs you have installed yourself like real player or nero. Reread the very beginning of this article to see how it can benefit you!

Hope this helps Debbie.

cake87

cake87

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ps. as always back up data where necessary! Unless you are confident enough to not to do so.