Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

baguadragon

baguadragon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When Windows Media was downloading a codec it seems it has corrupted windows and created BSOD for my computer. I tried to boot in safe mode, but instead it gave me a BSOD. So I was told to do a windows repair in which I performed; however, I had issues during the installation in which it was asking for certain files. I was using a Windows XP SP2 CD. After the installation, it booted fine to the logon screen and as soon as I try to logon it asks to activate which I said yes to, but it would stall. It won't go anywhere? How do I fix this? I'm assuming it has to do with the face thtat it was asking for files whch I was unable to provide, but windows XP cd should have the files on the CD shouldn't it?

Advertisements

bebeliv

bebeliv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
• One free solution is to link your hard drive to another computer. You can change your password by booting from another computer. However this method might cause damage to your system if you did it wrong. A safe solutionis to boot from a bootable CD and then edit the registry windows\\system32\\config for password. I would recommend you to try it. They promise no-hassle refund if you can not get your work done.Check this out:"http://www.password-...n-password.html

hcs1108

hcs1108

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the windows login loop problem. I have a set of 10 system recovery disks for Windows XP. I talked to a technincian at Microsoft and she told me I couldn't use this to fix the problem, that i needed a Windows XP reinstallation disk. Does anyone know if there is a difference between these? I don't want to go buy another set of disks if I don't have to, but I don't want to accidentally clean out my system if the system restore disk is the wrong disk to use.

Nansi

Nansi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After I press F8 I dont get the repair screen. I get a screen that says

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on the computer.

To set up windows xp on the selected item press enter
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press c
to delete the selected partition, press D

Does this mean my old version of XPis to corrupt to repair? What do I do on this screen???

godly man

godly man

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What do you do if your icons do not work, everything I try the window pops up, 'Open With'. It also indicates the rundll32.exe is missing. I bought this computer from Best Buy and did not get the Windows XP cd with it. How can I get this fixed? Our computer is dead in the water.

GaryLS

GaryLS

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just tried to run a repair on xp pro dell computer. went fine until performing configuration then I got a message box that says "the instruction at 0x7643785c referenced memory at 0x0755e710. The memory could not be read." Now windows will not start at all, just keeps going to the setup and runs the same thing over again with the same message. Any help out there?

rjrvt

rjrvt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Trouble with my son's old Compaq Presario 2100 w/XP Home. Worked this morning, he's moving, did a shut down, unplugged everything, moved it to my house, set it up and bingo -- corrupt or missing \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|CONFIG\SYSTEM file. Did the repair console/recovery CD thing...everything is as shown except that, in the XP Home CD we have, when you bypass the recovery console step and proceed to the INSTALL part, we don't get a repair option, only the option to set up windows XP from scratch.... what am I missing and how can I get back up? This is the same as nansi's problem, I think...

Edited by rjrvt, 26 April 2010 - 03:27 PM.

haramer

haramer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi! I am new to this place, but I can really use some help here.

So I have no idea what has happened, but apparently Chrome stopped working and instead opened IE everytime. People said it was a malware, which may be a problem. I think it is mainly the problem with downloading some programs. Anways, when I turn on my computer, it shows the usual but it didn't even show the Windows XP logo with the blue bar loading thing below it. It just turned all black, and didn't go anywhere. Now, I tried your steps of repairing this, but everything went well untill it made me restart the computer, and went to the installing windows part. I thought it would be just like when I first downloaded XP, however it gave an error saying:

Fatal Error

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Incorrect funtion.

then I pressed okay and it showed me so many more fatal errors. I have no idea what to do now, and I thought of moving my harddrive to another computer to transfer the data/files then to cleanly reinstall Windows XP again. What should I do?

Jack28

Jack28

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Guys, First of all thanks to everyone that helps people like myself that does not know alot about computers and their systems. :) So thanks for all the Help.

Now for my Questions, I have Windows XP and recently Got that Horrible Green "Anti-Virus" Virus On my Computer. Thankfully I cleaned it off of my computer and Its running But it runs Horrible, so that's why I want to repair or reinstall my Windows XP. I have my CD
Now if I do the repair would I lose all my files on my C:\ Drive: and would the repair be the same as a fresh install?
Or if I do a fresh Install would I lose all my Files On my C drive?
I know the original post said I will NOT, But I really want to make sure before I go ahead with this.

Can someone please help me out on this? My Computer Is REALLY REALLY SLOW after the Virus and I know my Windows is really Messed up. I even had that Log-In & Log-Out Issue but got it fixed. I rather do a fresh Install of Windows from my CD but if repairing it is the same and I wont lose date I rather do that.

Thanks again for all the Help!!!

Jack :)

Edited by Jack28, 13 July 2010 - 01:12 PM.

nypbbob

nypbbob

• Pip
  • 1 posts
where would i find a repair disc? my laptop didnt come with one.. thank you :)

Edited by admin, 26 August 2010 - 01:22 AM.

Advertisements

lynnelle

lynnelle

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I cant figure out how to get to the reboot option on my dell. IT says i have a virus and gives me some codes. I cant get past the blue shutdown screen. Anyone know what to do? THanks.

keithxgraham

keithxgraham

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, After initially seeing the Black screen of death I couldnt even reboot in safe mode so the only option I had was to repair using XP recover disk. I did all of the above and im pleased to say it recovered my system and more importantly all of my data files perfectly putting them into a C:\My Backup folder, BUT the only issue I have is I cannot recover my historic emails. I had not saved my emails recently to a .pst file and was hoping the xp recovery process would save my emails into a .pst but I dont think it did, so im hoping you can suggest how I can find/recover my emails! Many thanks.

Rush4Rod

Rush4Rod

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I did the Repair Install. The problem is that after the Set up finished, it automatically restarted but won't finish restarting. It's stuck on a smaller versions (higher res?) of the Windows XP logo screen. I have the hourglass cursor and a message: "Please wait..." The cursor does move when I move the mouse. It's been over a half hour. Is this lag normal? Should I hold down the power button on the CPU and then turn it back on and have it start up again? Please advise.

batsdude

batsdude

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Very kewl answer to some of us, but it dosen't help those of us who came with the XP preinstalled. IE:no disks. If I could do that I wouldn't so desparately trying to reinstall Open Office 3.2 Which went to the trash bin on a reinstall. <[email protected]>

rcmichelle

rcmichelle

• Pip
  • 4 posts
you can try to google Password Genius