Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep as a uninstall would have returned the mbr to original form and then you should not be getting the request for the double boot then. By deleting the boot.ini and the mbr have not been corrected.

Another way to try and fix this is using the fixboot command in the recovery console. Take a look HERE to see what I am saying.

Advertisements

theaceman

theaceman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Was'nt there a 'FIXBOOT' cmd in the instructions I followed? I don't think I specified the drive letter (i.e. 'C') but wouldn't it have defaulted?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are correct there is a command in the instructions.
With that then the best option at this point is a fresh installation as everything in the instructions should have wiped out the old boot, mbr and everything and put a new file it their place. Seeing that didn't happen or the Win7 bcedit would have to be sued to undo the boot.ini then.
I'm going to ask another tech who is more familiar with it to chime in for a minute and offer some assistance.

theaceman

theaceman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Open the System Configuration Utility by going to Start, Run and typing in msconfig. Under the Boot.ini tab try Check all Boot Paths and see if you are prompted to do anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Interesting method Leurgy I never thought of that way. :D

theaceman

theaceman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Check out my screenshot. Note the highlighted and the adjacent lines in the 'main window' -

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot004.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is what my boot.ini looks like after following the same instructions above.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

If I''m correct that first line after [Operatng Systems]
needs to be taken out but wait for what Leurgy advises.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Yes I agree, that line shouldn't be there. If you are going to change your boot.ini, make a copy of it first and name it boot.ini.bak or boot.old and leave it in the same place until you are sure everything is working ok. Having said that, I don't know why you would be seeing an option for Win 7 when you boot as it doesn't appear to be coming from boot.ini.

theaceman

theaceman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think it might be time to break out the Champagne --- tuning the boot.ini file did the trick.

Great Job!!!

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thats great theaceman. Since I was late to the party I promise I won't drink it all. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great job guys.. Thanks Leurgy for the assist. :D
I have learned something through this also on how to check the bootable OS's on the system.

xzqzq

xzqzq

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Super helpful... Thanks !!

Ayyappa

Ayyappa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Excellent explanation.. i will try my best to post my knowledge as well :D

DunK

DunK

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I re-installed Windows XP a day ago and it worked fine the first time. Now I start it up and it gets to the XP loading screen and freezes or gets past it and the screen stays black. I started it in Safe Mode and it worked, but because its Safe Mode I cant do everything I want to. I formatted so i cant restore it. Please help...