Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I re-installed Windows XP a day ago and it worked fine the first time. Now I start it up and it gets to the XP loading screen and freezes or gets past it and the screen stays black. I started it in Safe Mode and it worked, but because its Safe Mode I cant do everything I want to. I formatted so i cant restore it. Please help...

Answered in your original OS topic HERE. :D

Advertisements

henrykipson

henrykipson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey...Really informative thread ...Thanks for sharing with us.

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
So I'm trying to figure out how to fix the "Boot Failure" too. It prompts me to insert the Windows XP disc which I do. It then says it is installing several files. After that I get the choices of Exiting (F3),Enter to continue, or "R" to repair. Since I want to try to do the Repair I am entering the "R of course but the problem is the keyboard won't work no matter which one I try! It's like there's no keyboard even hooked up to the PC. Arrow keys don't work either. I know the keyboard works as I'm using it now to type this from my laptop.
How do I complete the repairs so I can boot my old PC?
Thanks

Nords.Tech

Nords.Tech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
great ideas.. i want to learn more and i want to be an computer expert just like you admin lol.. serious!..

Attached Thumbnails

• 187268_1420310471_3115779_n.jpg

Nords.Tech

Nords.Tech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
you try to figure out your bios settings first and then find if your keyboard support is enabled or not.. there are different bios programs in different pc's.. are you using usb keyboard? then enable your usb keyboard support in your bios..

Attached Thumbnails

• 187268_1420310471_3115779_n.jpg

glenny_g

glenny_g

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This has been disastrous for me! Followed the instructions. When Setup reboots I get a fatal c000021a error (The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly). I can't restart in Safe mode because the Setup won't work in Safe mode and it restarts the system and I'm back to fatal c000021a error and blue screen again. In short, I can't boot Windows any more!! Please help.

lionheartirc

lionheartirc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hopfully someone reads this as its from 03 :)

first this helped me vary much in fixing the problem i had with my computer not wanting to start up after things started going weird i restarted it and would not start and was saying missing dll for kernals as posted. ran drive checking etc but no errors.
i have been able to get it back up. had to update and reinstall some programes that just wern't on it anymore (firefox, IE8, and some others) now i am running in to some problems with a few (so far, haven't been able to check all yet) programes that are now saying somthing to the like "the application or DLL C:\Program Files\( FILES NAME) \ is not a valid windows image please check against your installation disk". or just says that not valid windows image unable to open file. the programes are still on the drive in the same fiels and folders they were before the problem.
however some don't work but others have no proplem opening.
my question is can these files (programes) be saved? as they are without haveing to reinstall them? as quite a few are from "giveawayoftheday" but others from still work. any help would be greatfully welcomed

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
From your description of the problem, you will have to reinstall those programs that are no longer working. However, you won't lose any data associated with them. For example if it were a game, your saved games should still be available after reinstalling.

lionheartirc

lionheartirc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok so the programes that had keywrappers on them are just bad now as they are only good for the day they came out.

another question i have tried to reinstall miro (had it before and it worked), but now it gives me an error saying "An unknown error prevented Miro from startup. Please file a bug report at http://www.getmiro.com/bug.html." i have tried to but that site addy isn't there. thought someone miht know tried googling it and nothing there that helped. thanks again

Mediokrates

Mediokrates

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Will this work with recovery discs or a partition?

I have an HP Pavilion, and had to swap out my motherboard last year.

I'm having some minor but annoying issues with my settings in windows explorer, which a system restore did not resolve.

When I boot with my recovery disc, I get 2 options: Standard Recovery Console; and Format and Restore to Factory Settings.

Thanks,

Advertisements

Dean *H*

Dean *H*

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have recently had this problem and flowed the steps of this guide, I think the problem started when I powered down my system during start-up. I am however stuck. The repair gets some way into the "Installing Devices" phase when a text box pops up called "NVIDIA NForce Network Adapter INF File" inside this box it reads as follows;

"Some files on NVIDIA Network Bus Installation Disk #1 are needed.

Insert NVIDIA Network Bus Installation Disk #1 into the drive selected below, then click "OK" "

When this dialog box pops up, I lose the use of my mouse and keyboard so I am unable to do anything, I have tried simply inserting my 9 series installation disk at this point however nothing happens as I am un able to click "Ok".

Any ideas and help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Will this work with recovery discs or a partition?

I have an HP Pavilion, and had to swap out my motherboard last year.

Generally no. You need CDs that are bootable, and will run Windows Setup. Most recovery CDs do not run setup, but a custom restore script. However, I have seen restore CDs that boot to Windows setup on occasion.

P.S. If you don't have restore CDs, you can order from HP for about $16.

http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c00810334

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

"Some files on NVIDIA Network Bus Installation Disk #1 are needed.

Insert NVIDIA Network Bus Installation Disk #1 into the drive selected below, then click "OK" " ...I have tried simply inserting my 9 series installation disk at this point however nothing happens as I am un able to click "Ok".

Windows is looking for drivers for your nVidia motherboard, not video card. If you still have the CD that came with the motherboard, insert that. If not, you should be able to download the latest nforce drivers from nvidia.com

Dean *H*

Dean *H*

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

Thanks for your fast response.

I am still however having problems. I do have the other CD for the nVidia drivers however every time I start my pc now, it continues with the repair. Therefore I need to enter my xp CD for it to make progress, when I get to the part where it asks for those drivers I would have to remove my XP cd and insert the one it asks for.

When I do this though nothing happens as my mouse and keyboard remain unusable and I cannot click or select the "Ok" button.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
That's really outside of the scope of help we can offer in this topic. I'm afraid if we diagnosed everyone's issues here, this topic would be 200, or 2,000 pages long instead of the already very long 20 pages. You'll get the best results starting a new topic here in the Windows XP forum.