Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

hao hao

hao hao

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i t may be useful for me , thank you for giving this useful infro

Advertisements

LA Fred

LA Fred

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The Repair option did not appear, so I opted for Install. Instead of installing OVER the old Windows, it installed next to it.

I now have two Windows XPs on the C Drive. The new one works perfectly, but all of the programs and Data are over on the one that doesn’t work.

Is there a quick way to merge the two so that I have one good working system?

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I've posted this in the main section as well, but I didn't know if I should post this here. If you need to remove/move it somewhere else, that's fine by me.

Here's what happened.

About 2 months ago I loaded a fresh copy of XP onto my second harddrive. So I had an original copy on the C drive, and a new copy on E.

I was using the E copy and everything was great.

I decided I no longer needed the C copy anymore. So I deleted it and formatted it using the harddrive's format utility through DOS (this was probably a bad idea).

IHow do I get my E:\Windows back? I really don't want to have to transfer everything back over to C:\Windows.

I can only see the boot.ini for C:\windows which doesn't have anything for the E: copy.

Please Help!

Thanks!

Are you sure you weren't using the original all along? If your bios was set to start in c first, I don't see how you could have been starting in E.

LA Fred

LA Fred

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I looked on Explore at my C Drive and found Windows installed 2-9-06 and Windows.0 installed on 4-1-08.

So, yes, they are both on the C Drive

Oops, excuse me. I don't think the above post concerning which drive was aimed at me. But that fact may be significant to know.

Edited by LA Fred, 02 April 2008 - 08:04 AM.

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I looked on Explore at my C Drive and found Windows installed 2-9-06 and Windows.0 installed on 4-1-08.

So, yes, they are both on the C Drive

I don't know of a way to "merge" the two copies of OS.
When you were given the choice to install, it should have also given you the choice to install in the original location. You must have chossen a different one since you now have two. You may be able to delete the second copy and try another reinstall and this time in the same location as the original. You will lose any programs installed since first setting your computer up but not personal data.
On the other hand, you should be able to access the programs in the original OS from the newer one.
I did almost the same thing, but after I had the second copy installed so that I could gain access to my computer I reinstalled over the first copy to repair it and now my unit boots from the first and does not even give an option to boot from the second.
I hope this is not to difficult to understand , and hope it helps.

LA Fred

LA Fred

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I saw Mooseye’s suggesting above concerning the use of the Recovery Console. I figured that I might as well give that a shot.

When I got to that point, I was told to insert the Recovery Console CD. What? I never heard of such a thing. Inasmuch as I didn’t have one, I exited – or, rather, I tried to exit.

The thing wouldn’t let me exit. It just kepi on installing Windows. I even held down the power button until the computer cut off. When I restarted the PC, it went back to installing Windows. I just could not stop it.

Now, there are THREE sets of Windows XP Pro operating systems on my C Drive: Windows, Windows.0 and Windows1.

Some people have the knack for this kind of stuff. I obviously don’t.

I’m tempted to simply delete the last one, but that might further screw things up because something in there already knows about it. It now offers the option of using that version at boot-up.

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi
I recently went through this procedure, and when I got to the " Administrators password" I knew there wasn't one, so i just pressed enter, and was immediatley shown the dos prompt. is this normal? I tried it twice with the same outcome.
Davy

hayley8882000

hayley8882000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop computer, about three years old that runs Windows XP. Today, the computer was on and our power went out. When I tried to start it up, it gave the error:

stop:c0000135 {unable to locate component}
this application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

I want to try repairing XP, but will it cause me to lose the programs on my computer? Specifically, will my McAfee still be there after I repair XP?

nr1baby

nr1baby

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I went into repair windows but, could not because the c: drive was corrupt and it stopped. So i reboot the computer and windows logo start up the restarts again. Now I can't come into windows anymore. How do I get back into windows. HELP HELP PLEASE!!!!

rebbiejaye

rebbiejaye

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My fiance's computer appears to be in some dire straits after attempting to install service pack 3. Realized halfway through that Mcafee was throwing errors so he aborted it, and it appeared to be restoring all his system files. But now it won't start windows at all in any mode. We suspect it needs a repair install, but he only has the update cd and cd key which he says does not have the repair install function on it. He believes we are SOL but I hold out hope... is there any way to do a repair install with such a CD? Or in only buying the update cd did we effectively not purchase this function?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Note: If you need assistance with a repair installation, please start a new topic in our Windows XP Forum. This topic is also open for comments, but not all will receive a reply.

Hi to everyone,

If you are seeking specific help instructions, our Administrator posted this in the very first post of this thread. Please, click on the link above and start yourself a new thread (by selecting the "New Topic" button up near the top right of the screen), explaining your problem in as much detail as you can.

Someone will be along to help you shortly. :)

Troy

diehackersdie

diehackersdie

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
i was never given a windows xp or any other disc for that matter with my compaq presario 6000. so how can i repair windows xp without the disc? i have lots of files missing from windows after i was helped by essexboy in removing malware. i informed that i had many problems after the fix but i never got an answer back and the topic was deleted. i need to be able to use my printer again and i cant cuz he had me remove usbscan.sys "otmoveit" i do believe. i really need help in fixing this. its keeping my business and schooling at a standstill not being able to use my printer scanner fax machine. i really do appreciate the help i got in getting rid of the virus'. but just leaving me hanging with my bareass in the breeze was wrong. please help!!!! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there diehackersdie,

Your Malware thread is located here, and you did not respond to Essexboy, so it was closed. If you are still experiencing issues, I suggest you send him a PM and finish the thread completely before asking here for further assistance.

On that note, please read post #138 (two up from here) where we are asking for people to create a new thread for each issue.

Cheers

Troy

kukla

kukla

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI,
Thanks for the Windows XP reinstall info...but how do you do this without a CD....My windows is sooo messed up...I thought maybe by re-installing it....it would be better...Firstmy problem was the Windows Installer and the msi.dll is missing....now I'm just as lost...
I've Enabled the Windows installer 3.1.....but I'm still getting the msi.dll missing pop-up..

Help!

Thanks

kukla

okippiko

okippiko

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I want to thank you for your quick response. I will try this and get back to with feedback.

Len