Malware how-to guides information

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

z12sz

z12sz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello i have a problem with my desktop. its full of malware which i got from some p2p software download. i managed to run my avg with multiple scans and it reported win32/heur and win32/cryptor. i am so screwed because although i can run avg scan it drastically slowed down everything else and redirects me. i cant even manage to install other antivirus or antimalware to kill them off. I am thinking of reformatting my comp atm because i cant seem to do anything. i am posting on my laptop and need help! :)

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
z12sz,

Please go to this thread and follow the instructions for posting a Hijackthis log in this forum. Start your own topic and give as much information as possible, including what you've posted here. Someone will come along and help you out.

Alex05

Alex05

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
hi there. so i started and followed your instructions on how to treat malwares(win32/heur) but i know, there are some loopholes in it. i need an assistance as to how to remove them.....especially right now, that my excel files can't be opened... please help me. my job is in on the line...seriously.

and i tried to run Erunt and at the end, it displays an error message..

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Alex05,

Please go ahead and start a topic in the malware forum and post your hijackthis log. Be sure to say what you've done so far, what you can't run, and what your symptoms are.

Alex05

Alex05

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
uh, i know this will sound pretty dumb but where will i start my problem in which malware forum? where is that?

i have so far tried, and i know i shouldn't, fixing it myself, getting all these malware removal programs. i ahve malware bytes ad aware,and no-adware but i don't know which one is more effective. i have AVG as my antivirus. and i downloaded those softwares that were sugegsted in here like the erunt and ntrogept, but like i said, it displayed an error message for the erunt..

i have fixed the excel things.. theyw ere infected but healed. but i know i'm not completely virus-free, as far as Win32 is concerned.

one more thing, the virus vault says it's alreday full but i'm afraid i will be deleting some important files when i remove all in the vault..

where should i post my hijack log?

Alex05

Alex05

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
forget that. i found the malware foruma nd hijack this log forum

Langlaise69

Langlaise69

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello,
Just a few questions for clarification, please! :)

1) Is everything (ATF clean, ERUNT, scans, HJT etc.) to be done in safe mode or normal or doesn't it matter?

2) Should system restore & screensavers always be disabled (heard that sneaky things hide there) or doesn't it matter?

3) If you can't install 1 or more of the programs (for me it's SysRestorePiont & Sunbelt Firewall) does this mean you still have a "nasty" lurking & should post on the HJT forum or is there more you can do to check before?

4) If you can't control something you used to be able to, despite having apparantly cleared out a "nasty", does it mean it's still there or just that it may have left a hole in the program it used to control?

5) Are all these antispyware programs to be used 1 after the other, do you pick & choose which to install according to your Internet use... or what?

Thanks in advance for a reply when you're not too busy, Messieurs, Dames!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts

1) Is everything (ATF clean, ERUNT, scans, HJT etc.) to be done in safe mode or normal or doesn't it matter?

Should be done in normal mode

2) Should system restore & screensavers always be disabled (heard that sneaky things hide there) or doesn't it matter?

They should not be disabled

3) If you can't install 1 or more of the programs (for me it's SysRestorePiont & Sunbelt Firewall) does this mean you still have a "nasty" lurking & should post on the HJT forum or is there more you can do to check before?

Just continue on with the rest of the steps. Sometimes programs don't work for whatever reason

4) If you can't control something you used to be able to, despite having apparantly cleared out a "nasty", does it mean it's still there or just that it may have left a hole in the program it used to control?

Possibly.

5) Are all these antispyware programs to be used 1 after the other, do you pick & choose which to install according to your Internet use... or what?

Yes one after another.

Langlaise69

Langlaise69

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the reply!
I am now less ignorant than I was a couple of minutes ago :)

Thelostlink

Thelostlink

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Quick question that involves the speed of my computer. I've heard here that sometimes two programs that are designed to work toward protecting you work against each other and either leave you exposed, or at least give you a slow computer.
Out of this list of programs, are there two or more that are incompatible to be running at the same time?
-Spysweeper+Antivirus
-Ad-Aware
-Spybot Search and Destory
-Malwarebytes
-Spywareblaster

If there should be no problem running these programs together, than could someone please point me towards a topic where I can find out why my computer's been going slower [I'm very sure that it's not due to malware infection]?

Its not like super slow, but sometimes when I'm watching videos or listening to music there's skips, or when I'm typing it can't quite keep up with me.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
If you have the real-time protection of Spysweeper/Ad-Aware/Spybot running then that will conflict

Thelostlink

Thelostlink

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks Rorschach, I usually just keep Spysweeper and Ad-Aware on, and then turn them off to run Spybot, but I guess I shouldn't be running both.

Arlyanna

Arlyanna

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Admin,
I am currently a Norton AV subscriber, had to pay for it and thought I was doing the right thing before I came to this site. Norton 360 isn't bad but I don't feel protected by a lot. What goes well with 360 as a paired protection to help with finding virus/trojans? Can't run 2 anti-spywares, but is there a way to detect things better? Do I have to quit my year subscription and add something from your list. Norton let me get the WinPC adware and I removed it with StopZilla, then I unistalled StopZilla (because I know better).

Stupid Norton 360 is designed so that you will call the number to Norton Live and pay $100 for the protection you thought you paid for when I was prescibed to it in the first place. I can find the beeping viruses better myself with the windows search engine!

I hope I can run something with Norton so that I can sleep at night.

Thank you for helping everyone on the site and the articles are everything we need and more.

Edited by Arlyanna, 04 May 2009 - 10:24 AM.

JadeScrpion

JadeScrpion

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I apologize profusely for posting here knowing that this isn't the place to do it, but my problem seems to be a little deeper. I am on a friends computer due to the fact that something has infected my ieplore.exe. Whenever I try to open it it gives me the message "Runtime error: this application tried to terminate in an unusual way iexplore.exe" I can not open my browser, download anything, uninstall any programs, or check my mail. But strangely I can still use my yahoo messenger. When my computer first started acting strangely there were a few games that I tried to un-install and it simply removed half of them. I am starting on-line classes next week so I'm freaking out just a tad bit. Thank you very much for all the help and great site :) I'd almost given up hope!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
JadeScrpion,

Can you follow the directions below, but download the programs to a USB drive and then transfer them to your computer? Then you can run them and start a new topic in the Malware forum.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.