Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
No anti virus you just need to go on have a look at one page and see if it works, Then exit.
I have not got round to putting anti virus on my machine in the past month or so.
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
I have reset the CMOS/BIOS back to floppy
Checked network name / computer name / workgroup and that TCP/IP is shown
Plugged in cable did ipconfig its 192.168.1.70 - 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.1.254 and wait for it ...........

THEY CAN SEE EACH OTHER !! - and I tried the WWW and can see that - one page and exited :blink:

Thank you so much :whistling: - what do we do now

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok 1st step is make a restore point.
then look for your data
The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account
copy all of this data out as we will end up dumping the 1st windows install. So please try this and install any missing programs you may have noticed missing. DO NOT install any AV or ZA yet or BT hub software
Do you know how to use backup? if not I will post instructions.
After we have all the data secured we will try wireless networking. 1st step will be to try and let windows handle the wireless connection if not then we will use BT software.
Then anti virus, Maybe ZA (not really needed)
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
I will get on with this as soon as possible - the outside world has interupted me and I have to go out !!

Do you know how to use backup? if not I will post instructions.

I dont know about 'backup' so would appreciate instructions if you have time

I had thought that I would not reinstall ZA as you advised the Hub firewall would be ok

Thanks - I'll post again ASAP

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

1st step is make a restore point.

OK done that

then look for your data
The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account

I've moved the whole folder out onto the destop plus a few other bit and pieces
Luckily there is not much on this machine
Next step when you are ready
Thanks very much :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok in my opion only you should not keep data in the Documents and Settings as this is a folder that gets reset with windows reinstall. If you do keep data here then you will have to be ontop of your backups.
I will post backup info after we get the wireless running. If its all right with you we will backup then remove the original install of windows then backup again. Just in case you find later on there is a file missing.

Ok Lets plug the wireless dongle in, unplug the wired network and boot up windows should find your dongle and install it.
The next steps were stolen from Spacecowboy706 Network guide
I know it's not a laptop but same thing. If you fall over on a step don't post in the forum like it says come back to me.

54. Turn Laptop A on (WIRELESS PC) and wait for it to completely Boot.
55. Hold down the “Windows” key on the keyboard, and then press the “R” key on the keyboard. This opens the RUN Command.
56. Type in: devmgmt.msc :and press the OK button. This opens the Device Manager.

57. Scroll down to NETWORK ADAPTERS and expand the category by clicking on the “+” sign next to it
58. Verify that there are no Yellow !’s on the devices. If there are, please stop following this guide and submit a post in the forum requesting “Help Loading Network Card Drivers”.
59. From here we now want to disable the Wired Portion of the Pc and Enable the Wireless Portion. Right Click on you Wired Network Card and Select DISABLE, Then right click on your Wireless Network Card and Select ENABLE. Red X’s are now OK as they mean the Devices have been Disabled.
60. Now Click the FILE Button in the Upper Left and select EXIT.

61. Hold down the “Windows” key on the keyboard, and then press the “R” key on the keyboard. This opens the RUN Command.
62. Type in: ncpa.cpl :and press the OK button. This opens the Network Connections Window.

63. Locate your Connection Type (WIRELESS) and right click on it to select PROPERTIES.

64. Click on the GENERAL tab
65. Under “This connection uses the following items:” make sure that only the following components have a check in the box next to them:
Client for Microsoft Networks
QOS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
66. Left click on “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” one time and then click on the
PROPERTIES Button.
67. This opens the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.

68. Click on the GENERAL tab and verify that the bubbles for “Obtain an IP Address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically” are selected.
69. Click on the ALTERNATE CONFIGURATION tab and verify that the bubbles for “Automatic Private IP address” are selected.

70. Click the OK button. Taking you back to the “Wireless Network Connection Properties” screen.
71. Now click the “Wireless Networks” tab Verify that there is a Check in the box for “Use Windows to configure my wireless network Settings”, Verify that there are no SSID Broadcasts listed in the PREFERRED NETWORKS box (if there is select it and click the REMOVE button).
72. Click the ADVANCED button and click the bubble for “Any Available Network (Access point Preferred)” then click the close button. Taking you back to the “Wireless Networks Connection Properties” window.

73. Under “Available Networks” click the “VIEW WIRELESS NETWORKS” button, and left click on your SSID broadcast and click the Connect Button.

74. You will now get a pop-up like the one below. Just click YES, as we will add security Later.

75. After a few seconds the list will refresh and it will say “Acquiring Network Address” then it will say “Connected” like this

76. Now click the close button or red x in the upper right hand corner, taking you back to the “Network Connections” Window

77. Now we want to Right click on the Wireless device and select STATUS, then the GENERAL tab. From here we want to verify that under “Activity” the Packets Sent and Received number is 1 or above. If it is not then please submit a post in the forum requesting “No Wireless Connectivity”.

78. Next click on the SUPPORT tab and verify that the “Address Type” is Assigned by DHCP. Click the CLOSE Button, taking you back to the “Network Connections” window. Close this window out now also.

79. Restart the Laptop

Can you still see Dell and www.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 27 April 2007 - 03:39 PM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

If you fall over on a step don't post in the forum like it says come back to me.

As usual so I dont foul up on anything I'll ask first
I unplugged the cable plugged in the dongle - Windows finds the dongle but does not install it - its asking me to install the software for a new device do you want me to use the CD that came with the dongle
Thanks

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 28 April 2007 - 03:43 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Yes please. It was worth a shot to see if windows had a driver for it.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
Hope you didn't mind me being ultra cautious about installing the dongle in my last post - we have come so far and I didn't want to spoil things now
I have installed the dongle using the instructions that came with it

Step 59 instructs to disable the NIC (which I've done) and enable the dongle - there is no option to enable it so I assume its ok as it is

Step 65 Should I disable 'AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v3.2.0.3' and 'File and Printer sharing for MS networks' to just leave the 3 items that the instructions say

I'll stop until I hear from you - being cautious again sorry

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

we have come so far and I didn't want to spoil things now

I agree.
Leave those 2 items as is.
Do an ipconfig is it ok if yes can you see the dell and the www.
If not tell me the ip details. Has the icon for wireless shown up in the task bar. Has it picked up the SSID?
If not try the rest of the steps
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

Leave those 2 items as is.
Do an ipconfig is it ok if yes can you see the dell and the www.
If not tell me the ip details.

I left things as they are up to step 65 and did an ipconfig the Systemax reads "Media state ......... Media disconnected
They cant see each other and I cant see the WWW

Has the icon for wireless shown up in the task bar

The icon for the wireless connection shows in the task bar but with a red 'X'

Has it picked up the SSID?

I dont think its picked up the SSID because the other icon which shows the signal strength does not show a signal (if that makes sense)
'Network connections' shows "Not connected"

If not try the rest of the steps

Now on step 71 I'm on the 'Wireless Network Connection Properties' screen - there is no 'Wireless Networks' tab only 'General' and 'Advanced'

Please advise - I cant do this step or 72 or 73 or 74 and 75

Thanks - doesn't get any easier does it !!!

PS Is this anything to do with 'Windows Zero Configuation' in Administative Tools > Services

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 29 April 2007 - 10:00 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
So close yet so faaaaaaaar
Ok lets try manual
can you go in to the wirless set up and set the SSID and the channel - check the settings on the dell and see what they are, You should be able to manually input them. Any better?
If not then turn on WZC - right click on it and click start. does this help
if not then in my network places do you have setup a wireless network icon If yes try that.(screen shot attached)
We will leave the other steps out for now.
I am suprised that the BT software did not make an auto connect. Can you remember what happened the 1st time you set it up?
Cheers
Peterm

Attached Thumbnails

• Wireless_setup.jpg

Edited by peterm, 30 April 2007 - 01:16 AM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

can you go in to the wirless set up and set the SSID and the channel

Sorry not sure what you mean by this - where should I look - is this different to the Wireless set up wizard you mention later in your post

I am suprised that the BT software did not make an auto connect. Can you remember what happened the 1st time you set it up?

I havn't run the BT software only the driver CD for the dongle - you said in a previous post Here not to install the BT software
I used the BT CD to set it up 1st time
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
When you click on this

The icon for the wireless connection shows in the task bar but with a red 'X'

do you get options then to set up the SSID.
What about the wireless connection wizard in my pic. If not then only one other choice. BT software.
Sorry I thought that when it installed the dongle it would have installed the software also. So many different products out there it makes it had to know which one does what.
Cheers
peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi peterm

Sorry I thought that when it installed the dongle it would have installed the software also. So many different products out there it makes it had to know which one does what.

Thats OK as I've said before BT stuff is a bit of a pain at times (I say that with feeling as I used to work for them !)

The story - I clicked on the red 'X' the window that opened advised I could not use that to set up as another program was set to do that and to try switching on WZC I did that and but it made no difference.
I was going to use the wizard when it suddenly occured to me that the program refered to above was possibly a BT one previously installed
So I clicked on the signal strenght icon in the try and it opened the 'BT connection manager' I entered the SSID and the Wireless key and with the sound of thunder and a roll on the drums and a blast of trumpets - THE TWO PCs CAN SEE EACH OTHER AND I CAN SEE THE WWW !!!!!! :blink: :help: :help: :)
There was a tick box in the BT connection manger - "Let this tool manage your wireless settings" - no doubt why I cant see all the tabs and programs referred to in the guide and your posts
I have stopped and disabled WZC
Thanks so much - what now ? :whistling: