Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
next step will have to wait till tomorrow(sorry)
We install anti virus - you can do that now but check both dell and www after.
Then I will give instructions for 2 types of back up I want you to do. Then we remove old windows install.
then I see if nickyboy wants a hand whilst I still work on the 98 & ME threads I have going.
Glad we are nearly there and thanks for your effort and not giving up
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi peterm

next step will have to wait till tomorrow(sorry)

Thats great no problem

We install anti virus - you can do that now but check both dell and www after.

If I have time today I'll instal AV and check its all still ok after

Thank you too for not giving up !
I'm sure nickyboy will be glad to hear from you :whistling:

PS I have now installed AVG v7.5 so I should be ok to go on the WWW now

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 30 April 2007 - 08:47 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Please read all before starting
Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the Startup and Recovery window, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window (boot.ini) will open...copy the contents of that window and paste the information here for me. Be sure not to change anything you will know when you close the notepad screen as it will ask to save changes , If this happens say no.
If you want to be double sure then
Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
4. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
5. Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the Context menu, and then click Folder.
6. Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
7. Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

Then
How to preform a backup XP
Go Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>backup click on backup
this will start a wizard click on NEXT backup files and settings NEXT
Put a check next to Everyone's documents & settings NEXT
Click on browse if this gives a message box asking to insert a floppy click on cancel.
Pick a place where you can find the file - Desktop is ok if you are going to burn the file to CD/DVD. If you have a network you can pick that location.
Give the file a name that you will know.
Click on NEXT
The next screen will be completing the Backup or Restore Wizard
Click on finish.
After it has backed up burn the backup file to a cd/dvd check that the files are on the cd/dvd and if happy delete the backup file you created & burned.
We will then edit your boot.ini & dump the original XP install.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 30 April 2007 - 06:59 PM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
Here is the copy of my boot.ini as requested

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I will get on with the backup today and let you know when its done

May I start installing windows updates now?

May I also ask you 2 questions about the programs installed on the original (non booting) Win XP?
1. When we dump the original copy of XP will the software installed to it be lost?
2. Is there a way to 'reactiveate' the software on the original XP without reinstalling it - I have reinstalled several already but the BT software may be a problem because its not on the CD as setup files the software is downloaded and installed from their site but to get to that stage you have to go through the set up of a wired or wireless web access I fear that may ruin what we have set up now?
Does that make any sense?
They do not appear in 'Add/remove programs'

Thanks for the help

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 01 May 2007 - 08:55 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Yes you can do the updates
Sorry the only way for the programs is the hard slog of reinstalling them
Why do you need BT software ? It isall working now is it not?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 02 May 2007 - 01:02 AM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

I will get on with the backup today and let you know when its done

I have now backed up XP on the Systemax and stored the file

Yes you can do the updates

I will instal the Windows updates ASAP

Sorry the only way for the programs is the hard slog of reinstalling them

I'll get on with that

Why do you need BT software ? It isall working now is it not?

Everthing seems to be working ok - PCs networked and I can see the printers on the network too
The reason I asked about the BT software was because it includes some software that I use sometimes (their browser for example) but I'll try to work round it and maybe ask them how to download their stuff without using the set up CD.

We will then edit your boot.ini & dump the original XP install.

I'm ready for the instructions to dump the non bootable XP - does that remove the folders labelled 'Windows' and just leave 'Windows0' ?

Another question - sorry
Early in our marathon thread a member told me I could plug a printer into the USB port on the Hub. Is that something you would recomend and does it give any advantages over what I have (I assume I would not have to have the PC that the printer is currently plugged into switched on) I notice there is reference to a 'Thomson samba server' on the network which if clicked takes you to 'Add printer'

And another question - sorry again
Would you leave the NIC disabled in device manager ?

Thanks again

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

their browser for example

Why do you want to use the bt browser

Edited by peterm, 02 May 2007 - 11:09 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I was waiting for the printer question

Windows' and just leave 'Windows0'

yes

Another question - sorry
Early in our marathon thread a member told me I could plug a printer into the USB port on the Hub. Is that something you would recomend and does it give any advantages over what I have (I assume I would not have to have the PC that the printer is currently plugged into switched on) I notice there is reference to a 'Thomson samba server' on the network which if clicked takes you to 'Add printer'

never be sorry - Thats why we are here.
Yes printing to the usb is better as you do not have to have the other computer on. But from all my research it has problems.
But i am sure we can beat them

Would you leave the NIC disabled in device manager ?

This came from spacecowboy706. No reason not to but if you have to connect via lan at sometime then just goback and enable At present you don't use it so leave it off. Will post clean up instructions a little bit latter tonight/your morning
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

Why do you want to use the bt browser

I dont WANT to use it but it is the default for some stuff on the other PC - so I suppose if I havn't got it installed then it wont be defaulted too
BT stuff is a pain I am only with them as I used to work for them and their internet seems pretty reliable it seems to be 'on' most of the time - its their software and set ups that cause problems.

never be sorry - Thats why we are here.

Thats very good to hear it just that I feel I'm keeping you from more important things (helping others with major problems)

Yes printing to the usb is better as you do not have to have the other computer on. But from all my research it has problems.
But i am sure we can beat them

I thought it was but as I usually have both PCs on and as there are problems with it I might as well leave well alone.
I said eary in the thread that using the USB printer lead had caused problems and I had gone back to a centronics/printer lead.
I could always PM you and start another thread (Oh my god no !!!)

I'll leave the NIC as it is then.

Will post clean up instructions a little bit latter tonight/your morning

Look forward to them

Thanks and Thanks :whistling: I'll get back to Windows updates - 56 to install !

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Thats very good to hear it just that I feel I'm keeping you from more important things (helping others with major problems)

Not at all my other threads are still being worked on.
Lets give the printer a try. in for a penny in for a pound
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

Lets give the printer a try. in for a penny in for a pound

Your brave - OK then after the old XP is dumped we (or rather- you) will go for it !

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
3. Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
4. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
5. Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the Context menu, and then click Folder.
6. Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
7. Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

Then
Edit the Boot.ini File
To view and edit the Boot.ini file: 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.
4. Remove the last line (The one I have in bold)
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
5. Click on file, then click on save. This should close notepad your file should then looklike this
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
6.click ok to exit the properties screen.
7. Double click on my computer, Double click on C drive. You should see a windows folder.
8. Right click on the folder click Delete - It will say the file is to big for the recycle bin and ask do you want to delete the file from your system click yes.
9. Reboot. The system should start and go straight to Windows.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 02 May 2007 - 11:11 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok We hope the computer has booted.
1.Add your printer normally as if its attached to your machine. (local printer attached to this machine in the add printer wizard)
2.Once added right click on properties then on the ports tab.
3.Click add port, choose Standard TCP/IP Port, click New Port.
4.Enter 192.168.1.253 as the IP address any thing you like as the name.
5.Click custom then settings.
6.Choose LPR as protocol Queue Name: LPT1 check LPR byte counting as enabled, click ok.
7.Finish the wizard.
Print 1 page - Test page will do. Then open a document and try to print another page.
It can be picky of when it wants to work. If it stops working unplug the usb port for the printer on the back of the hub cancel your print jobs then plug it back in again. If this happens then let me know

Open your browser and in the address line type 192.168.1.254 press enter or press Go.
Does this open the BT Hub?
If yes then you have access to the Hub and do not need BT software.
Once connected, you will be prompted for a username and password (Username: admin, Password: admin), and then you'll see the main configuration screen.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 02 May 2007 - 11:45 AM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
Thanks for the continue assistance and advice I am learning quite a bit about the two metal cases under my desks at home - you know the ones with all the wires coming out of them !!

I have backed up and edited the boot.ini file when however I try to delete the 'Windows' folder I do not get the message about it being to big for the recycle bin, it just didn't do it - can I delete the files a few at a time ?

Will a reboot work or must the 'Windows' stuff be deleted first ? OK found out it will boot with the 'Windows' folder still there - I had to pop out and so the PC had to be switched off - when I came back it booted just like you said it would
I will delete the 'Windows' stuff a bit at a time

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 03 May 2007 - 03:06 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
:whistling: