Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sari's grammar thread

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Thanks for the information Brian wink.gif

Brian

A bit egotistical here aren't we? :)

Nope - was referring to Mr. Howett, whose name is also Brian :)

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
thats what happens when you have a bunch of people running around with the same name :) :) I made the mistake of naming my son after me, it was cool when he was growing up we just called him little Brian. Now he is about to turn 16 and hes not so little anymore :) we always get messed up with people calling the house asking for Brian, we go to the same doctor and one time the doctor had this funny look on his face and asked my son if he was my age :)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Whilst I realise this is Sari's grammar thread, I thought the following, relating to spelling might be of interest:

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

ChewMouse

ChewMouse

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm unsure how to post here, but I simply must say that Sari, you did beautifully and covered every single thing I would've discussed that fouls English grammar, spelling and simply appropriate writing. I have noted that often it is "geeks" who misuse the written language and before anyone gets upset, I need to add that my perception of this, in teaching, is that "geeks" are so wound up in their topic that they simply go and go without regard for the old-time good English.

I teach nursing and my students that are the poorest spellers are the ones I'd trust with my own family's healthcare; the ones that demonstrate charting without grammar or punctuation are often the students that are most wanted for the best nursing jobs. Please note this is just my perception of it, I have no source except myself.

It is obviously more important to get your own point across than to write beautifully, but as "geeks", you are honored as people that know things, unfair as that is, and others do follow your example whether you are in high school, college, technical school or in business. For this reason, it is so important to learn the things that Sari has covered; failing that, hire someone! Ahem. I'm available.

I am so pleased to see this thread that I just had to write "thank you" and also "congratulations" to Sari.

If there is a single error in what I just wrote, I'm going to dig a hole in the backyard and just climb on in for all eternity.

Happy Friday, all!

ChewMouse
jitcrunch_34.jpg

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Oh no! So, I'm not a true geek because I can write in grammatical sentences? :) Thank you, ChewMouse, and thanks for joining this thread. I've followed some of your posts and appreciate your humor and writing style. Feel free to contribute anything you feel is missing.

ChewMouse

ChewMouse

• Pip
  • 8 posts
You know, now don't get me wrong! I love men, I've married three of them!

The truth is that women, being XX in chromosomal makeup, have a jump on men, who are of course XY. I encourage students to see XX and XY not as letters but as designs. It then makes sense that we have one-fourth more genetic wiggle room than men do.

What do we do with this? Studies say there are two things (NOTE: there are surely more but these are two that have been tested): we bear pain much more easily (think of childbirth) and we can multitask. Working in psych, I've seen how men can be very focused and intent. But a woman can do the same with the same results while also making a grocery list in her head, talking to her daughter on the phone, mentally rehearsing a report she has to present tomorrow, deciding which shop to take the car to since it makes a funny noise and wondering what rap music is all about.

Men simply cannot. In talking to them, I find that they can do, at most, two tasks in a superior manner at once. And usually they can only do one.

So I believe that XX (women) are able to be geeks, yes, and maintain good grammar while men are far more likely to be unable to function in the same way. I have some excellent information both online and off if anyone wants....oh, I see the men have drifted. They're over at the window. They have entirely lost the ideas set forth. haha!

Thank you, Sari, I should not even be here since I know nothing but it started as an urgent need to get an image converted to JPG and I just stayed.

And finally, I've only married ONE man, and we are at 21 years of marriage, 23 years of loving one another. I just wanted to make at least one person say, "Whoa!" on a Saturday morning!

ChewMouse

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The nine year old daughter keeps saying "Boo-yeah!" (spelling approximate) whenever her little brother gets hurt, scolded or has some sort of unfortunate event. This is done with a hand on the hip and a triumphant look on her face. What is a "boo-yeah"? Did this come from a TV show? I am feeling older every day.
Johanna

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Rules are just for Breaking
Local Newspaper Poem - The Weekend Bulletin

We'll begin with a box and the plural is boxes;
But the plural of ox should be oxen, not oxes;
The one fowl is a goose, but two are called geese;
Yet the plural of mouse should never be meese;
You may find a lone mouse or a whole set of mice;
Yet the plural of house is houses, not hice;
If the plural of man is always called men;
Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?
And if I speak of a foot and you show me your feet;
And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?
If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth;
Why should not the plural of booth be called beeth?
The one may be that and three would be those;
Yet hat in the plural wouldn't be hose;
And the plural of cat is cats and not cose;
We speak of a brother and also of bretheren;
But though we say mother, we never say metheren;
The masculine pronouns are he, his, and him;
But imagine the feminine she, shis and shim!
So English, I fancy you all will agree;
Is the funniest language you ever did see!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
That is funny.

Welcome Back FPVDriF6.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Welcome Back FPVDriF6.

Where did I go? :)

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You took a small vacation I remember a post about it somewhere.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I wish! It's good to know someone is looking out for me, though! Can you find the post again?

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

I wish! It's good to know someone is looking out for me, though! Can you find the post again?

You forgot to go on vacation?

This is damaging to the xy group here.

You are only supporting the personal beliefs that chewmouse has! :)

(of which, by the way, I read every word while eating and doing algebra homework) :)

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

The nine year old daughter keeps saying "Boo-yeah!" (spelling approximate) whenever her little brother gets hurt, scolded or has some sort of unfortunate event. This is done with a hand on the hip and a triumphant look on her face. What is a "boo-yeah"? Did this come from a TV show? I am feeling older every day.
Johanna

Real Definition.

Most likely definition behind your daughters use. Definition 3 # 3

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how about the difference between Do and Does and Don't and Doesn't

Do is generally used when the subject is plural, like "they do" or "we do"
Does is generally used when the subject is singular "he does" or "she does"