Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Women in IT

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:)

IT Crowd, right? It's been ages since I watched that stuff.

Advertisements

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Yea, I couldnt resist the joke was there.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think the lack of women in IT positions is probably one of a lack of supply...and much less a lack of demand... with certain jobs (roughnecking on an oil rig, logging, truck driving, auto mechanics etc...) there is a stereotypical view of things being "men's work" or "women's work"...but with computers and other tech jobs...i don't know that those stereotypes hold up as strongly...since MOST of what "we" do is mental work...

i know in my company (the U.S. portion of it anyway) we've got 22 locations and probably about 50 or so IT people distributed around those locations (quite unevenly i'm the only one here but other locations have like 6 IT folk) and i only know of 2 women in the IT/IS departments...one of whom really doesn't do IT...she just balances the IT budget for her location and such...

surprisingly the Japanese portion of our company (i.e. in Japan) has probably about 75 females in the IT group (granted the IT group there has about 1,000 to 1,500 people in it) they do mostly programming and web design though