Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format and reinstall XP error

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets check something here.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Advertisements

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thank you so much for your help ... it is running!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Chkdsk or the XP?

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
says ... chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on volume.

what does that mean? is the hard drive good now??? or time to shop for a new one?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun it and if you can please write down the errors it finds and fixt. Post in your next reply.
It does verify the findings from post 19 that the drive has some serious issues. :D
It may be the root of the problem now that we have used 2 different methods to test it.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
it doesnt say what errors it fixed ... just that it found and fixed one or more errors on the volume

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
re-running now

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK between post 19 and this chkdsk finding errors I am very suspicious of using this drive. I would suggest rerunning the chkdsk /r to just see if it finds any more errors.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
how hard is it to replace a laptop HP ZD8000 hard drive? how much do they cost? I have changed out hard drives in desktops but never in laptops.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Original hd is a Toshiba 80GB hard drive 5400 RPM
Replacement drive you can get is HERE for 39.99 plus shipping from NewEgg
Now the question is do you have the recovery disks for the system?
Changing the drive is actually easier then it is on a desktop.
On the bottom of the laptop you should find a panel marked Hard Drive or HDD that is secured with a screw. You take the panel off and you should see the HD there. From that point the removal and replacement is much like a desktop.

Advertisements

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Bought a new Windows XP Pro cd and code ... so that shouldnt be a problem! Good thing it acted up before I have been able to connect to the internet to activate it!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I agree. The only issue then will be getting the drivers and we can find all that on the manufacturers website when you are ready for them. :D

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
well its complete ... just says chkdsk has finished checking the volume.

so what does that mean?

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I just talked to her before it finished ... she said if we are sure its the hard drive to go ahead and order one ... but is there any guarentee that will fix it???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try to run the hd diagnostics again but at this point i would say the hd is bad.
Guarantee no one would say that for sure.
We have checked all the other hardware and you have a brand new installation disk. The only issue we have been able to find is a faulty hard drive through all this.
The probability that the hd is the culprit is high but guaranteeing the issue will be resolved no respectful Tech will do that.
I would say it is the most logical reason for the problems since even a brand new installation did not work and that most likely is due to the bad sectors the hd diagnostics found earlier.