Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes & BSOD - Is it Software or Hardware?

• Please log in to reply

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Ok - all understood, but I need to take a time-out, as I need the pc for something else at moment , and I cannot afford it to have degraded or offline (as in re-starting)

Thanks
UnderSiege

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I cannot afford it to have degraded

As you need to do of course.

My recommendation will certainly not degrade anything ALL you are doing is obtaining an analysis report of the fragmentation of the HDD together with the details of that including the MFT. It is really only the MFT I am interested in.

and indeed I would like to see another comparison for the voltages.
It is also necessary to make other checks on certain hardware.
At your convenience whenever you are ready.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Many thanks for your patience Macboatmaster.

The defrag report on the MFT is :

Total MFT size = 193MB
and
Total MFT fragments= 17
It doesn't say whether this is a percentage of the total MFT fragment count, or an absolute count.

I ran Sandra Lite and here is a scrnshot of the processor module test

sandra.jpg

and for comparison here is the same for Speedfan

speedfan1.jpg

Are the differences significant?

Undersiege

Edited by UnderSiege, 30 November 2011 - 04:37 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On SandraLite please see my screnshot.

Click on Mainboard. Scroll on window that opens, to voltages and check against previous readings as the only voltage on your image is the CPU core voltage.
If the voltages on Sandra Lite are nearly the same as Speedfan you do not need to post them unless of course you so wish
Please keep Sandra Lite for the time being on your computer
I will come back to you later on the - voltage readings on speedfan.

MASTER FILE TABLE
The size of the MFT is considered correct as Vista
Starting with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the MFT uses a fixed 200MB zone reservation so as not to reserve space that will never actually be used (note that the zone reservation can be used by data once the remainder of the volume is filled up - this is the same as in previous versions of Windows).

and the small amount of fragmentation is nothing to concern us.
The reason I asked for this is that the chkdsk report indiciated errors in the MFT

As I said the MFT is vital and may I caution you that some of the unwanted tweaking - make it go faster programs, believe, usually incorrectly that they can alter aspects of the MFT space allocation etc. Some even suggest that they can move files closer on the HDD to the MFT.

Generally speaking Vista is GOOD at managing this.
I have no idea if you have deployed such software but I would caution you against it.

Once we have completed this please run a Windows Memory Diagnostic and then unless there is an adverse report I think we have done most checks that we can and YOU may of course post on this thread, to which I will remain subscribed if you experience the problem again.

FOR WMD - F8 on boot - Repair My Computer and then on the next screen WMD.
See this please.
you select Repair Your Computer and then you are presented with this screen

Now choose

. Memory diagnostic.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Click on Mainboard. Scroll on window that opens, to voltages and check against previous readings as the only voltage on your image is the CPU core voltage.

The Mainboard in my copy of Sandra Lite does not have any voltages recorded anywhere in it.

On my machine, pressing F8 launches a BOOT order selection. However, I discovered an alternate method of launching the WMD. By typing "memory" in the search box on the Start button, it found a Memory Diagnostic Tool , which when launched presented me with this dialogue box:

WMD.jpg

WMD then ran on re-start and F1 allows the user to choose between a BASIC, STANDARD, or EXTENDED test, and other settings. I ran the STANDARD test and WMD reported no memory errors. This is good news which is further reinforced by plenty of "cold" starts now, with no re-occurrence of my orignal problems. So, I am reasonably confident that between Rockmilk and yourself, we have cracked the problem. :thumbsup: I shall start to add other peripheral devices, one by one, and monitor the PC's performance.

Unless, you see anything esle that concerns you, then I am happy to see this issue as Resolved.

Well done and thank you

Undersiege

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting back.

Your previous screenshot of Sandra Lite was processors.
I have never known SandraLite not to include voltages on the Mainboard screen, but it does depend what SandraLite can read.

I now suggest that you remove the programs I asked you to install, unless of course you wish to keep them, but Speedfan, SandraLite
may now be uninstalled.

If you DO encounter problems I recommend a WMD on extended test, and a Memtest - if BOTH report no errors you may be assured that there are not. - 99.9% certain.
MEMTEST
http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Thank you for being so great to work with and good luck with it.
Finally - I still have a slight concern regarding your voltages on speedfan, on the -12 and -3.3
If you DO start to re-encounter errors in addition to Memtest etc I would consider a PSU test.
The old idea of a mutimeter job - is not worthy of trying for that possible fault.
The best test is - try with a known good PSU if possible.

Regards

My screenshot of SandraLite is attached.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Your final concerns about memory and voltages are noted and understood.

It's good to know that I can come back to you, if I encounter further problems in the future. Fingers crossed I won't need to bother you again.

Thanks again

UnderSiege :) :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome