Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow, crashing processes and freezing internet - Refer from Malware

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah that readyboost is not going to work on the external. BTW why are you running it anyway as the main drive should be fast enough.
You won't be able to move the paging file to a external because it would need to be plugged in always to allow the file to work. That is why it says you can't use it.
2 gigs of memory OK now we are getting somewhere. Is your OS a 32 or 64 bit version?
Also do you know the total memory that can be installed on your motherboard and if not do the following.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Advertisements

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Its 32 bit

Lenovo ThinkPad T400 Series Laptop/Notebook

DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500
Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 1

2GB
EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK IMHO I think if you were to add another 2 gigs of memory you would see a significant increase in speed. Now that being said I will tell you that a 32 bit OS will only utilize up to 3.5 gigs of memory. In order to use the full 4 gigs you would need to format and install a 64 bit OS.
If you don't want to double the memory add another 1 gig simply because it will increase your page file and your virtual memory. This in turn will help the speed and opening\closing programs.

Your post shows a couple of different memories that can be used. Do you know which one you have exactly?

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Nope for the memory question.

I have no clue how to install more memory for a laptop im more of a software guy :(

The 32bit OS is what the laptop came with, im assuming to swap i would have to buy it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The 32bit OS is what the laptop came with, im assuming to swap i would have to buy it?

Correct

As far as the memory if you look at the bottom of the laptop you will see a compartment marked either with Ram or Memory.
Unscrew the screw and the cover should come off to see the memory.

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Nope theres no compartments.

Is this as far as i can go really software wise with speeding up my system, what about for say Minecraft if i gave it its own dump file would that make it fast or increased its CPU Priority

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
nortan360

Do not be concerned about me coming in on the thread.
rshaffer61 and I, do work together sometimes.

He will take the lead but to settle your mind regarding the memory

Upgrade and expansion is a step harder than most notebooks, but still very simple. To gain access to all user-replaceable parts, you simply remove five screws and carefully remove the palmrest and keybard. Here you gain access to an open WWAN slot, another for Turbo Memory or UWB, two DDR3 memory slots, and your wireless card. At this stage you can also see the processor and heatsink, but a few additional items must be removed before you can lift those items out. Although this setup does seem like Lenovo is trying lock the user away from upgrading parts, they fully allow anyone to handle upgrading or adding components to their notebook without voiding the warranty. Processor swaps or messing with other advanced components might not be as kosher though. The hard drive is the only item accessible from the outside of the case (besides the battery) and is easily removed with a single screw

and, I can tell you that while the job is not difficult, it is easy to break some of the clips, when you remove items. IT IS NOT a job I would recommend to you.

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Okay, i may consider buying some more memory where is a good place to buy and what am i looking for?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Store or online?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
nortan360

I do not know what sort of training you are undergoing with Dakeyras at 247Fixes, but just to ensure you have it AS I posted - IT IS NOT A JOB to undertake, if you have never done such before.

ALSO once you start on that sort of dismantling - antistatic precautions are vital and please do not be offended, but cleaning the inside of a computer with a vacuum cleaner, presuming you mean some sort of household cleaner is NOT the way to go about things.

MORE to the point I have just had a look at the thread in Malware.
MY STRONG advice is to ensure all your data that you value is secure on that external drive as the number of errors reported on some of the scans are worrying.

What is Q drive please. Windows allocates drive letters on somehwat of a random basis but Q tends to suggest that you have many drives installed or have been disconnecting active usb devices that are shown as drives without stopping them in safely remove hardware.
USB devices are hot pluggable - but frequently require stop in safely remove hardware.

The other matter is, when you left Malware your computer was reporting that an anti virus was NOT installed and you were recommended to uninstall and reinstall DID YOU PLEASE and is it still so reporting.

ALSO I see indications that Windows Defender is running in real time with AVAST.

That will cause a slowdown.

STOP Windows Defender.please

Advertisements

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Hi Mac,

Im in the Anti-Malware Academy at 247Fixes, the reason i dont have much experience with hardware is because im taking an A Level Computing course, its really on how all the hardware works not really how it all fits together. For example this week we was learning about Hard drives the difference between FAT and NTFS and Defragmenting and Fragmentation.

The laptop came with the partitions already assigned, Q is Lenovo Tools, it contains things like factory recovery and 'take a tour of your laptop' things.

What do you mean by the number of errors? Would you suggest my Hard drive was failing?

And Windows defender isnt a real time application? I cant see it running in Task Manager i havent ran a scan with it in months

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well HOW you manage to get errors on a drive that you say is Lenova Tools and I do not doubt what you say - is most concerning.
Of course IT IS NOT a separate drive it is merely a partition of a drive.

PLEASE check that Windows Defender.
http://windows.micro...ender-on-or-off

as according to what I have seen it is running.

In answer to the hard drive - I have NOT read all this thread. I have read most of the malware thread.
Have you checked it.
I think I remember seeing you had.

When you were in the Malware forum you mentioned the size of hyberfil.sys and the pagefile.sys. Are they still of that size or how much please.

With the SMALL and as rshaffer61 told you - inadequate free space, do NOT even think of running hibernation on that computer
Hibernation writes the content of memory to the hard drive.
Go Control Panel Power options and TURN off Hibernation.

If you do NOT I think you could, if you still have little free space be at risk of a crash.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above I am signing off it is 0200hrs UK time.
Back about 1800hrs UK time.

Re hibernation
Windows has two power management modes that you can choose from: one is Sleep Mode, which keeps the PC running in a low power state so you can almost instantly get back to what you were working on. The other is Hibernate mode, which completely writes the memory out to the hard drive, and then powers the PC down entirely, so you can even take the battery out, put it back in, start back up, and be right back where you were.

Hibernate mode uses the hiberfil.sys file to store the the current state (memory) of the PC, and since it's managed by Windows, you can't delete the file.

What is the size please and the size of the pagefile.sys - file.

In advanced properties, advanced tab, performance section, settings button, advanced tab, virtual memory section - what please is the total paging file size for all drives.

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Hi,

Posted Image
Heres the pagefile, Hiberfil isnt there

Posted Image
Heres my partitions and drives.

I decided to run a scan with the lenovo hard drive test it froze on SMART Test and has been there for about 30 minutes so i closed it.

Edited by nortan360, 08 January 2012 - 07:41 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions