Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen/Blinking Cursor [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok got it ... also when I get to the link Secunia Software Inspector (Make sure your applications have all of their updates .. part)I click on that link and it opens to a strange a page on my computer that I am using now and if I click it with the one we are fixing it says WOT waring This site has a poor reputation based on user ratings

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I also dont see a link to d/l the free TFC

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

I get to the link Secunia Software Inspector

Download and install FileHippo from here by saving it to your desktop. It is easier to use then the Secunia tool!

link to d/l the free TFC

Here is the link, just save it to your desktop and run it from there when you need it. It does not install.

Regards,

CompCav

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
HI Ok after I updated all applications that were out of date using the link you sent me in your last post .. I had to reboot. I walked away from the computer for like 5 min and came back and noticed my computer booted up to pug page ... I think it was cuz my usb drive was in the usb port not sure .. but I removed it and rebooted and it booted up fine. Not sure if that means anything but thought Id mention it to you....

I will continue tomorrow .. I left off at Anti spyware in post 180 ...

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
HI! I have finally done all that you recommended on my computer ....

There are a few things tho ...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK first I have no idea what you mean by this ->

One of the most important steps is to backup your data regularly.
you mentioned a plan to purchase a new external drive. When you do be sure to back up your personal files, especially documents, spreadsheets, photos, and emails.

Free drive image programs I have used that work well include:

EaseUs Todo

DriveImage XML

The best purchased one I have used:

Acronis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then ....

I noticed I cant log into geeks to go from that computer now?! Dont know why ... I can log on on this computer but not that one .. think its something I may have installed from the list of recommendations that you sent. I log in .. It says it was a successful log in but then Im not logged in. I can see our posts ... but I cant add a reply or have access to the forum to post or my account.

The other thing is .. I have another computer (actually my 12 yr old sons computer) that needs to be cleaned .. its slow but not sure what is wrong with it .. how do I go about fixing that one? I can pist it here or do I have to start a new thread?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Btw ... this is what I see on the bottom of the page ...

[attachment=56702:photo.JPG]

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

I noticed I cant log into geeks to go from that computer now?! Dont know why ... I can log on on this computer but not that one .. think its something I may have installed from the list of recommendations that you sent. I log in .. It says it was a successful log in but then Im not logged in. I can see our posts ... but I cant add a reply or have access to the forum to post or my account.

You cannot connect because of NoScripts in FireFox, please go to Tools >> Add-ons
Then Disable No Scripts and restart FireFox then it should all work.

OK first I have no idea what you mean by this ->

One of the most important steps is to backup your data regularly.
you mentioned a plan to purchase a new external drive. When you do be sure to back up your personal files, especially documents, spreadsheets, photos, and emails.

Free drive image programs I have used that work well include:

EaseUs Todo

DriveImage XML

The best purchased one I have used:

Acronis

You should back up your data to an external drive. These three programs can be used to do that.

The other thing is .. I have another computer (actually my 12 yr old sons computer) that needs to be cleaned .. its slow but not sure what is wrong with it .. how do I go about fixing that one? I can pist it here or do I have to start a new thread?

You will need to start a new thread but we will get to it quickly.

Regards,

CompCav

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi ...

I tried what you recommended for Firefox to be able to log on to geeks to go .. but it didnt work .. still cant log on. I disabled it and restarted FF .. but still cant log on

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Im I going to have this problem for sites that I have to log into? :(

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Open Firefox
Click Help
Click Restart with Add-ons Disabled...
Verify you can connect to Geekstogo.

Step 2.

If you can now log in we need to determine which add-on is causing the issue.

To determine which of your disabled extensions was causing your problem, you can re-enable each extension one at a time.

• At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP), and then click Add-ons. The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
  • In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the Extensions panel.
  • Click the name of an extension in the list to select it.
  • Click Enable to enable the selected extension.
  • Click Restart Firefox.

After you find the extension that was causing your problem, disable or uninstall the faulty extension and re-enable the other extensions in the Add-ons window.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I disabled all of them .... and still couldnt log on. I disabled them all to see if I can log onto g2g but still couldnt ...

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Can you log on with Internet Explorer?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Yes .... I can log on thru IE

Think after I installed all the last of what was recommended .. I tried to log on thru FF and couldnt

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK I will propose a fix to my instructor and get back to you when it is approved.

Sorry this happened but we will get it!

Regards,

CompCav

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OK thank you ...

In the meantime ... Now that you and your instructor has fixed my computer I want to say thank you from the heart! I am very appreciative in all that you both have done for me and I know you all do this on your free time.

Is there a section of the forum to post my appreciation so all can see?