Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Linux distro will work for me?

distro memory install

• Please log in to reply

josiah13

josiah13

• Pip
  • 6 posts

It seems that you have been refered to Ubuntu. True, Ubuntu is easy to use, but becasue your computer is not, shall we say, new, Xubuntu would be a much better choice because it uses much less system power, and even on my new(ish) computer,  it is faster than lightening. Also looks great. Download Xubuntu from:  http://xubuntu.org

Advertisements

josiah13

josiah13

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Not to say that Ubuntu is bad, It`s really just personal opinion.

Edited by josiah13, 22 May 2014 - 06:02 AM.

josiah13

josiah13

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Try Ubuntu. it's the easiest Linux distro for beginner.

Just read the instructions carefully. And be prepared to study lots of new stuff.

just download the image from their site,

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

burn it to the dvd-r, boot from it and answer the questions.

Have fun!

Looks like you didn't read that I started with Ubuntu and it won't work on my older computer...need a smaller OS suggestion.

Try Xubuntu, the lighter version of Ubuntu: http://xubuntu.org

imort

imort

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I am almost completely clueless when it comes to computers and totally dumbfounded by linux OS requirements. Giving up Windows XP (support ended), I'm trying to install a linux based OS. Two days have gotten me no further to understanding and finding the OS that works for me! I'll outline my pathetic computer specs (it's a dinosaur) and what I would like to be able to do. Then I would be extremely grateful for suggestions! Remember, I'm a newbie and don't understand all the lingo so please dumb it down for me. I'd prefer any installation involving DVD-R. I bought ten so I could use one to load UBUNTU (not enough space).

Hey

I can suggest you to try LinuxLiteOS on your setup

It's a very old configuration but I think you still be able to work on it

If you can find one more 256 Mb memory line it will be much better though

cook90

cook90

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Definitelly DamnSmallLinux. You can read more about it at doanassignment

there are few articles about linux

Edited by cook90, 22 August 2017 - 07:16 AM.

Linux Loser

Linux Loser

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I use LXLE because it is for older computers as a replacement for windows. It is sort of like getting a new computer Windows XP was so slow and it hung up constantly.  LXLE uses the gdebi package manager which basically automates the installation of some of the apps that are available instead of having to use the command line all of the time. LXLE is also quite versatile for customization of its panels, where the program launchers of your choice can be put. One you get used to it its simple to use and it works right out of the box. It is also low on resources.