Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cannot install 3 updates and 4 drivers.

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Did you replaced the graphic card or upgraded with a new one?

Advertisements

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

No, I have not replaced anything at all.

This Dell was given to me this past spring and the drivers were not missing then. What I have been doing is updating wherever I can to bring it up to speed as much as I can for this OS and desktop model.(  I am a Mac user so this is all new to me. )

I see "malware removal" by your pic. I have been running malware bytes each week as was suggested. The last time was on Friday and 8 "things" came up

and I quarantined and removed them. Does that mean anything?

I don't know if this helps but it happened that I lost the drivers right after I was using Slimdrivers to delete duplicate files. Could I have deleted files that

I was not supposed to or is that possible?

Or does these questions even make sense for this issue?

:huh:

PS Where do I find the graphic card?

Edited by itsmesunny, 15 December 2014 - 12:32 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

No, I have not replaced anything at all.

This Dell was given to me this past spring and the drivers were not missing then. What I have been doing is updating wherever I can to bring it up to speed as much as I can for this OS and desktop model.(  I am a Mac user so this is all new to me. )

According to the Dell page for the machine you have and the device ID information you post for the graphic card, the card was upgraded at some point, that's ok we only need to install the correct drive and not the one available at the Dell website.

Please visit this AMD page to download and install the WDM Integrated Driver or the full Catalyst Software Suite

I see "malware removal" by your pic. I have been running malware bytes each week as was suggested. The last time was on Friday and 8 "things" came up
and I quarantined and removed them. Does that mean anything?

On this section of the forum isn't allowed to work on malware problems. One thing you can do is to run a scan again and if the program reports new problems you should create a new topic on the Malware Section of the forum then after getting a clean bill of health return to this topic.

I don't know if this helps but it happened that I lost the drivers right after I was using Slimdrivers to delete duplicate files. Could I have deleted files that
I was not supposed to or is that possible?

Or does these questions even make sense for this issue?

That's is most likely the source of your problem, you should never remove duplicated files that you don't know. It's ok to remove duplicated *.doc, *.xls, videos and photos but not system files like *.exe, *.dll, *.sys, etc.

:huh:

PS Where do I find the graphic card?

Inside the computer it's a card similar to the following image...

670px-Disable-the-Onboard-Graphics-and-I

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Ok. I installed catalys software suite.

Although, if I go back and click on the link I get this: http://support.amd.c...load/incomplete

So I took a look around and found this and installed these 2: http://support.amd.c...rofessional/Hom

So I do not know if anything is different. It seems the same.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

It seems the site doesn't accept direct linking but the first link I post works fine.

Your second link don't work for me so I'm not sure what you installed, only one of the packages is needed.

Can you post a screenshot showing the Device Manager window?

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I do not know how to post a screen shot on a pc.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I do not know how to post a screen shot on a pc.

Check the following guide.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Here ya go! I hit "show hidden files" too.

Hmm - I guess not:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

It is attached.

Attached Files

Edited by itsmesunny, 19 December 2014 - 08:40 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

- Open the Device Manager again, right click on the Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA compatible) entry's and click Uninstall to remove them

- right click the computer on top of the tree (SUNNY) and click Scan for hardware changes

- post a new screenshot showing the Device Manager window (you can save the image a JPG or PNG to get smaller files)

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Video Controller Uninstalled

Video Controller (VGA compatible) did not  - I get this pop up message

"failed to install the device. the device may be required to boot up the computer"

I hit Scan for Hardware Changes and this is what came up:

The window "Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard"

I click on it and hit "Next" and Video Controller comes up with a big yellow ? It searches and I get this message:

"The hardware was not installed becasue the wizare cannot find the necessary software."

I've been there before ...

Well, I cannot attach it like I did last time. There is no SAVE option. I have no idea how I did it last time.

So I opened up the one above that I attached and compared them.

They are EXACTLY the same.

So, I don't know what to do now. :no:

Edited by itsmesunny, 19 December 2014 - 06:05 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Do you have the Windows XP CD with the same Service Pack and edition used to install the OS in to the machine?

The OS seems very damaged (never seen Network Protocol with a Video Controller on the Device Manager) and a Repair Install it's the best option to fix that.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Nope.

You think that that is the only option? What about Revo Uninstaller to Uninstall the Service Paks and then Reinstall them? Maybe one at a time?

Grabbing at straws and probably not cuz support this really old OS does not exist - ?

Although, there is a guy downtown who may have one though. You think that is my best bet?

Just cuz I am curious - under Sound, Video and Game Controllers pic I posted above - do I need all that stuff?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Nope.

You think that that is the only option? What about Revo Uninstaller to Uninstall the Service Paks and then Reinstall them? Maybe one at a time?
Grabbing at straws and probably not cuz support this really old OS does not exist - ?

I don't think reinstalling a Service Pack will solve the problem.

Although, there is a guy downtown who may have one though. You think that is my best bet?

Yes, doing a Repair install using the CD will retain all your files and most programs (some may need to be reinstalled/repaired).

Just cuz I am curious - under Sound, Video and Game Controllers pic I posted above - do I need all that stuff?

Yes, that is normal and the Driver for the Sound Card you have is also missing.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Well, I am on the hunt for a Windows XP retail CD. I would need to bring the heavy old tower from this fossil of a PC down to him

and have him installl the OS.

PC's really are kind of a pain in the butt. On my MacbookPro I could just get the CD from the Apple guy downtown - who just burned me a copy

of the retail OS CD for $15 or get it from Apple for $20.

The guy said you cannot do that with Miccosoft. I would need to bring it in and it would cost about a $100. No thanks.

So I am just going to look locally and on Craiglist and Ebay etc - even Amazon Prime - for a retail Windows XP Install CD.

Here is one: http://www.ebay.com/...=item418d47a5a7

Here is another one: http://www.amazon.co...installation cd

Thanks for all your help Sleepy Dudue!

Edited by itsmesunny, 02 January 2015 - 09:57 AM.