Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer acting strange, Unresponsive pages at times

Windows 7 Firefox Chrome Adobe Flash Player

Best Answer iammykyl , 16 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

Net user,  when enabled, allows access to the original Admin Account instilled with the OS, (now hidden)   It allows you to manage user accounts, users on a Homegroup, computer on a Domai... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Sorry you are not happy with the results and the service we have provided.

We are volunteers on the site but do have lives to lead as well.

I may have been on line and been reading your post, probable 1 of 8 or more.   I then start replying to the first one downloaded and work through them, Sorry I did not get to yours.

Hope the computer keeps going for you.

Good Luck. 

Advertisements

Leroyman

Leroyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

I know we all have lives,

I was not expecting an answer right then.

I just meant that instead of editing my post, i posted a new reply so that way all would not have to read back through the same stuff and all said party reading the post would get a notification that there was a new post to the topic they just read.

I am not unhappy with the service.

I just feel like this computer is the least of my problems right now and so i will use it like it is. Everything still works so its not much of a problem, I just don't have a restore to fall back on if and when something goes downhill.

In a few months (4-7) not sure how long?

I will come back and show specs of the new pc and be running at the top of my game,  then maby discuss what improvments can be made on the new pc. which i will keep all documentation, disc's, & receipt's of so we never have to go back through this again.

Once again, Thank you all for trying to figure something out on my old pc.

But please don't think it's that im unhappy with the services.

If i was unhappy i would not come back.

Cheers guys

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for your reply Leroyman.

When you are ready to configure a new computer, please start a new topic and we will do our best to ensure it does what you want it to.

Cheers.

Leroyman

Leroyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Hi, I am back faced with the same situation. But i have done some research and have new thoughts about my main problem.

Please feel free to jump in and tell me im stupid at any time, For that makes no difference to me at this point.

http://windows.micro...and-a-homegroup

http://prntscr.com/6hbi6k

http://prntscr.com/6hbizs

Now i have read all there is to read on this subject. I am on WORKGROUP which "All computers are peers; no computer has control over another computer" http://prntscr.com/6hbjcx

So my thinking if correct, Tells me that me being in a 'workgroup' instead of 'Homegroup', Means i would not have the rights to do anything critical to the system such as create a restore point. (Creating a restore point to fall back on if what i was about to do to the computer was a fail....) I hope im making since to you, It makes perfect since in my head i may just have problems describing what im thinking, Or leaving some important details out of my thoughts..  Before this all started getting messed up, I remember changing my names of the computer but i was unaware it changed my Admin rights. If this made any sense to you, would you reply with thoughts or opinions on this matter. 

The reason i ask these questions now is because

i typed cmd and brought up comand prompt right clicked ran as administrator and when it got to where it said

C:\Windows\system32>

i wrote   'net user'   It said

C:\Windows\system32>net user

User accounts for \\MICROSOFT

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Administrator                      GhettoWatta                            Guest

Leroy                                   new                                         smith

C:\Windows\system32

Now i don't know exactly what that is telling me,

But... 'Leroy' is an account i just made trying to fix this system restore problem a month ago, 'new' account was made after 'Leroy', so the 'new' account is right around a week old. and 'smith' was the original account first account made on this pc.

i have 5 user accounts to choose from when logging into windows. ( other, 'other', Leroy, new, smith,) The second 'other' is the user profile i use. i have passwords to each and everyone of them. (This is my computer.) so please don't think i am trying to steal info or what have you. 

Edited by Leroyman, 15 March 2015 - 07:22 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

"Computers running Windows on a network must be part of a workgroup"   You are connected to the internet, (a network) so, yes, you are part of a workgroup.

"Computers running Windows on home networks can also be part of a homegroup,"  You are not connected to another computer  (Home network) so you are not part of Homegroup.

You should not be using CMD to explore or mess about with Windows, you must know what you are doing, otherwise you will break the system.   You are not a Net user, so ignore it.

As you are the sole user of the computer, there need only be 2 accounts, the admin, and the user.   Every account created gets allocated space and resources.   To understand User Accounts, start by reading this article.    Do not make alterations to accounts at the moment, get back. > http://www.pcworld.c..._windows_7.html

Leroyman

Leroyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Yes i have read that link. There were only 2 user accounts on my pc. But with all the useless crap on the internet i tried many things to try and go around erasing all my data and installing windows 7 and microsoft office again. At one point i had to transfer all of my data to a new user profile because one was corrupted or had a virus or something? Not sure exactly.. A friend of mine did that for me. and that was a few years ago. i was able to create a restore point after he swapped my profiles. But what i do not inderstand is my computer saying the above ^

"C:\Windows\system32>net user

User accounts for \\MICROSOFT

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Administrator                      GhettoWatta                            Guest

Leroy                                   new                                         smith

C:\Windows\system32"

GhettoWatta was the name of my User Profile that was deleted.

new is the one of the newest account i have. and only reason i made it is because i tried adjusting the admin rights and it made me create another user account because there had to be 3 user accounts to do what i was trying to do.

I have not made any more adjustments or deleted any user accounts.

But i did have to download a stand alone browser to get my Windows updates because my computer would never install them without it. It would say they installed and tell me to restart my computer, Once restarted it would show all of the downloads i just installed needed to be installed.

I just feel like me changing the name of my computer and user accounts created this problem because it all happened after i created the new name and user accounts

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
✓  Best Answer

Net user,  when enabled, allows access to the original Admin Account instilled with the OS, (now hidden)   It allows you to manage user accounts, users on a Homegroup, computer on a Domain. Network configurations and more.  

I don't think you should delete any accounts, just log on with your normal account.   If you get a "denied" when making alterations, then run as admin.

IE, when set to Default, should allow Microsoft updates.   If you get a yellow bar warningat the top, click the Allow.  

Here is a Tutorial on the update options. > http://www.technorms...ndows-7-updates