Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rootkit scan ruined starting Windows 7 Ultimate [Solved]

Rootkit scan Win 7 sign-in screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi,

I was about to give a good report on operations until I updated Avast!, restarted the computer, and tried to open IE. It may not have anything to do with updating Avast!; I'm just reporting the prior steps. IE opened a window but went to "not responding."   Screenshots of Task Manager showed this:

Task Mgr processes.jpg

Task Mgr serv PID 340.jpg

(Is the PID always the same for sevices?) Unfortunately, I didn't even look at the second process line or I would have taken a screenshot of those services as well, so I doubt the effectiveness of this information. At any rate, it seems to be an more or less ongoing issue. I do know that the instant I took the shot that line had suddenly dropped from 400,000+ k to what it shows. The other thing that is a constant with IE is also an issue on my Asus laptop so I will mention it here and perhaps you can point me in the direction of where to find a solution, which is that every time I close a tab IE I get the same error box.

IE error.jpg

I feel very fortunate to have gotten you as my problem-solver!

BTW I notice that I have 88 updates. Please advise as to when I should start on those. Thanks.

Edited by mtnester, 11 April 2015 - 02:26 PM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

I was about to give a good report on operations until I updated Avast!

Hmm, may just be coincidental as your computer has been through the mill so to speak so far. Though myself personally am not a fan of anything Avast related being honest, would you consider using MSE(Micorosft Security Essentials) and further down the line some further advice I can provide about what is known as layered security ?

I feel very fortunate to have gotten you as my problem-solver!

Thank you for the compliment, much appreciated!

BTW I notice that I have 88 updates. Please advise as to when I should start on those. Thanks.

Leave those for the time being as may very well actually exacerbate things all told.

Scan with MTB:

Please download MiniToolBox and save your desktop.
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator to start the program.
  • Check/select the option Select All
  • Then click on Go and post the result (Result.txt) in your next reply.
Note: If the log generated is too large to post conventionally merely attach it to your reply.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi,

would you consider using MSE(Micorosft Security Essentials) and further down the line some further advice I can provide about what is known as layered security ?

Short answer: yes, if you think I can handle layered security without messing it up. :unsure:

Would that be better than paying for a full-featured program like Comodo?

MTB scan looks pretty large to me, so I would attach here, except that when I select "More Reply Options" to get to the box that allows attachments I keep getting kicked back to the simpler box with formatting options, so what would you like me to do since I cannot access the Attach Files post box.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi,

would you consider using MSE(Micorosft Security Essentials) and further down the line some further advice I can provide about what is known as layered security ?

Short answer: yes, if you think I can handle layered security without messing it up. :unsure:

MTB scan looks pretty large to me, so I would attach here, except that when I select "More Reply Options" to get to the box that allows attachments I keep getting kicked back to the simpler box with formatting options.

so what would you like me to do since I cannot access the Attach Files post box. I hoped I could sneak around the problem by posting, then choosing to edit the post and select the Full Editor option, but it just kicked me back to the regular posting box.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi again.

I did not intend to make that double post, but don't know how to delete the extra copy. Sorry!  I did have the idea of switching browsers from Firefox to IE and now am able to attach the file you requested.

post the result (Result.txt) in your next reply.

Attached File  Result.txt   28.98KB   256 downloads

I'm glad I could finally complete this step.

Shall I go ahead and download MSE and install now?

Edited by mtnester, 12 April 2015 - 01:20 AM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

I would not advise anything Comodo related and if you are happy with Avast, absolutely fine. If it is not playing nice like last time, carry out the below again:-

Repair Avast Installation:
  • Please click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Control Panel >> Uninstall a program or Programs and Features
  • Click once on Avast Free Anti-Virus to highlight >> Uninstall >> and wait for the Avast Installation GUI(graphical user interface) to load.
  • Once it has click on the Repair option >> Continue, upon completion click on Restart Computer.

I did not intend to make that double post, but don't know how to delete the extra copy. Sorry!

Not a problem I assure you.

Shall I go ahead and download MSE and install now?

No real need and do try the above if required. However if you do decide you wish to stop using Avast just let myself know. In the meantime I will research the MTB log and be back later today sometime with further advise/instructions for you.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Dakeyras,

I think I would rather try using MSE since it seems to be working pretty well on my Asus, plus I can avoid the ads to upgade. It does have a program updating feature, though; would that be helpful to me?

Thanks. I will do the above steps re: Avast! in the meantime until I hear from you again, however.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi,

After doing the repair I got a popup that Windows Defender is turned off. Is that supposed to be on?

Thanks.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

I think I would rather try using MSE since it seems to be working pretty well on my Asus, plus I can avoid the ads to upgade. It does have a program updating feature, though; would that be helpful to me?

Ok that's fine, we will remove Avast and replace with MSE next time round.

After doing the repair I got a popup that Windows Defender is turned off. Is that supposed to be on?

We disabled that a while ago so it would not hinder the malware removal process. Also when MSE is installed it will stay deactivated as the aforementioned has part of the Anti-Spyware technology as it's core engine along with the Anti-Virus side etc.

Regarding IE 11, I suspect the actual installation is corrupted and hence the prior repair did not improve anything. So I think the best way forward for now would be to remove IE 11 and then providing IE 10 is working correctly we will then reinstall IE 11 later on at the same time we install a new version of Java for you.

Roll-back IE:

The below process will remove IE 11 and IE 10 will be restored...
  • Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Control Panel >> Uninstall a program or Programs and Features.
  • Then on the left hand side click on View Installed Updates >> scroll down until you locate Windows Internet Explorer 11 listed as an update.
  • Click once on Windows Internet Explorer 11 to highlight >> Uninstall >> follow the prompts.
Note: The above may take some time, so ensure you do not interrupt the roll-back/uninstallation process until it is complete. Reboot the machine afterwards if not advised to.

Next:

Let myself know when completed the above and if IE 10 is working correctly or not. We will then go from there, thank you.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi,

Reporting back that I did the rollback last night. Coincidentally after I rebooted I was unable to get back online. It had nothing to do with my computer, however, since neither of my smartphones could connect either. The problem is now fixed so I will do some testing of IE and report back.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Acknowledged. :)

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi,

Worked with IE and so far things are going much, much better.

Ready for next.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Worked with IE and so far things are going much, much better.

Good, please download the following to the desktop:-

Avast Uninstall Utility

Microsoft Security Essentials Installer

Remove Avast Installation:
  • Reboot your machine into Safe Mode if it is running and or boot it up into the aforementioned if it is not.
  • Once in Safe Mode:-
  • Right-click on avastclear.exe and select Run as Administrator >> follow the prompts.
  • Once the tool has finished processing and Reboot Now is denoted, click on that.
Note: If unsure how to boot into Safe Mode, merely right-click on avastclear.exe and select Run as Administrator whilst in Normal Mode and the application will offer to reboot your machine into Safe Mode if you select Yes. Then run the application as per the instructions above etc.

Install Microsoft Security Essentials:
  • Right-click on mseinstall.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Follow the prompts to install >> when asked if you want to turn one the Windows Firewall, agree to this...
  • Update >> Perform a Quick Scan >> let it fix/remove anything it finds.
Note: This article explains the various features of the software, Getting started with Microsoft Security Essentials

Next:

Let myself know when completed the above. If any problems encountered or not and we will then go from there, thank you.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi,

Short update--I hibernated the computer with IE still open to this page; however, while the computer came out of hibernation, IE didn't and wouldn't respond to any clicks or refreshes and then went into "Not Responding" so that I had to kill IE and start again.

Now I will read your note and perform steps given.

Thanks.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Dakeyras,

I have completed the uninstall of Avast! and installation and scan of MSE.  I don't know if I had a problem with starting in Safe Mode or not. I was attempting to Restart the computer and F8, but when that didn't work after a couple of attempts,  I shut down completely, waited, then started and hit F8 to go into Safe Mode with no problem. I'm just not familiar with whether or not Safe Mode is supposed to be achievable from a Restart.

Ready for next.