Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  None of the F numbers seemed to make it load from DVD, so I went to boot menu and selected DVD and entered and it went to the Boot Windows from CD screen and I got it done.  I selected fix my computer. The DVD drive does seem to be working.  I don't know how long this takes.  I hear the DVD coming on and off.  Hopefully it works.

I'll let you know either way.

I think it was a white flag because that is what I have on Win 7 and that is what I thought it was when it came up and it said PC issues 2 web cam not compatible and the other was the driver update required.Hopefully it wasn't malware...Right now this computer says Solve PC issue 1 message and I'm sure that was the same thing on the other computer.

Thank you,

Ali

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

If this DVD drive is no good and this is the case. Someone would have to burn an ISO image of Windows 8.1 disc to a USB flash drive. Unless you can try this DVD Drive in another PC make sure first.Would be Repair my computer be towards the bottom left of installation screen.

There you go, what i was saying before White flag in notification area asking to solve issues, meaning if this was anything to do with driver update too or whatever issues were actually saying before. Yes, possible webcam not being compatible with Windows 8.1 or drivers used.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

CD Rom worked and I was able to use Windows 8.1 disc.  I chose to fix my computer and I tried a refresh; it went though the process but says the disc my Windows is located on is locked, please unlock disc and retry!  What does that mean and how do I resolve it?  

Thank you,

Ali

Edited by Alikhat68, 16 April 2015 - 10:11 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I've found some useful stuff here. thank you guys !!!

If this was a help to you, you can use up arrow to the right of post, thank you

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

As i am not familiar with this kind of error try following the steps in this tutorial, mainly try to first run a checkdisk. Can get through by using repair disk, select an option for command prompt there can run a checkdsk.

Although this link gives you way through windows 8.1 advanced option, but if unable to boot will be hard to do it this way.   Would copy paste this into comand prompt then press enter         chkdsk c: /f /r

Thought i asked you to try this once before chkdsk

http://www.thewindow...alled-is-locked

Edited by jds63, 16 April 2015 - 11:18 AM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I can boot from CD now.  It was my monitor that wasn't connected before.  I don't know why the CD ROM was not "compatible" with the reset before but I can boot with the disk and use the troubleshoot options.  I'll run check disk and I think you also wanted me to check the RAM?

I checked online and found others that got the "drive containing Windows is locked" but I don't understand the instructions for repairing that on one page but another page seems to indicate  that a check disc may explain it.  I do have a partitioned hard drive...

http://www.thewindow...alled-is-locked

I'll run the check disk and get back to you.

Thanks again!

Edited by Alikhat68, 16 April 2015 - 01:30 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Running the chkdsk is one solution. As said not familiar with this issue. Try also a System file checker at command prompt again too as shown before copy and paste this into it          sfc /scannow

Never the only one with similar issues on just about anything.   Yes there is also a RAM test on same screen, although not as efficient as others you can use, but it will not hurt to check,does have to do with issues right now. Hard to check a CD-ROM that i know of in your present condition now, but if it is reading the disc for now, could be failing as it is a hardware with moving parts what usually fails is it's ability to read and write on these types of hardware.

Edited by jds63, 16 April 2015 - 02:07 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Chk Disk done.  Replaced bad clusters and says no further action required.  I did not try to boot up but running sfc/scannow.

Thank you!

Ali

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Just so you know, I'm still working on it.   I've completed both actions above and now trying to boot.  The computer is currently in the process of repairing disk errors.

Thank you again.

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Chk Disk done.  Replaced bad clusters and says no further action required.  I did not try to boot up but running sfc/scannow.

Thank you!

Ali

O.k. hopefully at sometime we will be able to see the checkdisk log. Your most welcome !!

Just so you know, I'm still working on it.   I've completed both actions above and now trying to boot.  The computer is currently in the process of repairing disk errors.

Thank you again.

Ali

O.k. keep me informed on how it goes! Welcome, again !

Edited by jds63, 17 April 2015 - 02:46 PM.

Advertisements

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

How can you see the check disk log?  Is there a way for me to save it on a USB while computer is in this condition?  I tried to boot after both scans and repairs but still didn't work. I'll run through again and if you tell me how I can show it to you, I'll do it.

Thank you,

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

How can you see the check disk log?  Is there a way for me to save it on a USB while computer is in this condition?  I tried to boot after both scans and repairs but still didn't work. I'll run through again and if you tell me how I can show it to you, I'll do it.

Thank you,

Ali

Your welcome ! I know of no other way check it if the PC will not boot to Windows. Question is what are you seeing now when it won't boot is what you need to explain more ? Could be another hardware issue even though things were working fine way back.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Now it's the standard, Windows did not boot properly and give the options to reset/ refresh or advanced options...I selected advanced options and am running disk checks again.  you also mentioned something else I should check...I'll look back and see if I missed anything.

Thanks,

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Now it's the standard, Windows did not boot properly and give the options to reset/ refresh or advanced options...I selected advanced options and am running disk checks again.  you also mentioned something else I should check...I'll look back and see if I missed anything.

Thanks,

Ali

Advanced options get you to use safe mode and other options  look down on bottom of this link page http://windows.micro...tings-safe-mode

If there is a hardware issue, we are not sure, possibility since PC is older model. Seems your best bet at this point may be to reinstall Windows 8.1, not a refresh or reset but a clean custom install.

Edited by jds63, 17 April 2015 - 05:49 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I was going to try running safe mode before re-installing when suddenly my computer booted up with Win 8.1 and looks normal but not exactly acting normal.  Everything is very slow.  Do you suggest I exit out and run in safe mode?  Is there something I can do while I have it up that would provide you with details?

I may just do a quick check to make sure there are no files or data that I may not have backed up just in case a new install is what I have to do.

Thank you,

Ali