Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Alright, as we know there are 2 choices on disc, upgrade which you can not do with a full version of windows 8.1 (if this what the disc is) and custom install. Now if you want to keep this partition that has original Windows XP recovery look at this tutuorial, scroll down to the yellow box marked Tip!

Also remove partition completely leaving you no option to go back to XP, also shown in tutorial. Since XP is no longer supported, best to remove it, but i believe never had recovery discs made, be your choice.

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

Edited by jds63, 13 May 2015 - 05:49 PM.

Advertisements

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I didn't do upgrade option.  I tried custom install and it did take time gathering files.  I'm not sure why.  The last time I did this, I had no problems at all.  Installed easily and I was surprised.  I don't know what is happening during the install because it takes too long for me to wait and see.  This time it was 38% gathering files and when I came back it was at the black screen prompt asking boot disk type.  Clearly did not install.  

I am okay with deleting the other partition except that it may have original manufacturer information and it is not possible to copy it to an external drive at this point, is it?  

I can't go back to XP.  It wasn't working, which is why I wiped it and installed 8.1 in the first place.

I can run check disk again but am not sure how to get to the command prompt at this point.

Thank you,

Ali

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Okay I am trying clean install again per the instructions in the link...I already did that on my own and it created the 350 MG partition for system, but this time it doesn't look like it did that.  I'll let you know what happens.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I didn't do upgrade option.  I tried custom install and it did take time gathering files.  I'm not sure why.  The last time I did this, I had no problems at all.  Installed easily and I was surprised.  I don't know what is happening during the install because it takes too long for me to wait and see.  This time it was 38% gathering files and when I came back it was at the black screen prompt asking boot disk type.  Clearly did not install.  

I am okay with deleting the other partition except that it may have original manufacturer information and it is not possible to copy it to an external drive at this point, is it?  

I can't go back to XP.  It wasn't working, which is why I wiped it and installed 8.1 in the first place.

I can run check disk again but am not sure how to get to the command prompt at this point.

Thank you,

Ali

I do not know exact steps you took the last time compared to this time. Been long topic with a lot said, now you are saying you wiped whole drive removing Gateway Recovery partition before, but asking now if there is a way to copy it. Is it gone or not ? There are programs to clone to another hard drive or system image to another drive, in this case it's used when a hard drive is failing people want to move it to another. In your case you just want this partition moved. Only tool i know of if it still exists is this one can try to move partition to a USB Flash Drive   http://www.minitool-...ion-to-usb.html

You would see a partition during a clean custom install of Windows 8.1,when you redo it if it is there you will see 2 partition, one from Windows 8.1 System partition and the other. Since you are not doing an upgrade to Windows 8.1 from XP you would delete all partitions until it shows all being unallocated space. Then on drive want to put windows 8.1 on, highlight it and click next.

Okay I am trying clean install again per the instructions in the link...I already did that on my own and it created the 350 MG partition for system, but this time it doesn't look like it did that.  I'll let you know what happens.

Yes that system partition you see is for Windows 8.1, usually a 300MB. Possible error before could be due to as article said, hard drive issues or something with existing partition. That Gateway partition holds Windows XP and software came on system and drivers for Devices came on system. Thinking of a way for you to possibly try a checkdisk at this point, if possible because OS not completely installed Windows 8.1 is different in recovery options then previous OS. See here had to of made a recovery USB or DVD  http://windows.micro...covery-overview

Recall before you were unable to do a refresh or reset.

Edited by jds63, 14 May 2015 - 12:05 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

it does get rather confusing after all this time.  No I did not delete the original partition yet.  I'd rather save, clone or whatever first.  But if the only way I can get this thing possibly to load is to remove it and lose forever whatever Gateway info may be on it, I am willing to do so.  That being said.  right now, I will try the mini-tool and see if I can move the old partitioned drive to a USB and then I'll delete everything.  Just to keep things clear.  I am only going to do one thing now and then I'll be back.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Okay, I'm back.  The mini tool to clone drive...does it require operating system?  When I tried to open it after download it asked about changing this computer, but I don't want it for the computer I am using but the non functioning computer...Did I miss something?  Download the wrong thing?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Okay, I'm back.  The mini tool to clone drive...does it require operating system?  When I tried to open it after download it asked about changing this computer, but I don't want it for the computer I am using but the non functioning computer...Did I miss something?  Download the wrong thing?

Again if computer is not functioning, not going to work, as is a software needs to run on PC. Just showing you a program i knew of for this kind of process. Do not know of one can work otherwise. As said before this is used beforehand when feel drive is failing or if doing what you were doing before all this happened to save the partition in case of. I told you what i felt was on this partition, no valuable info from Gateway i have formatted many drives and wiped recovery partitions with no ill effect.

We are still not sure what happened form time you put it on before till starting having issues needing to reapir the OS yet. Faulty hardware, drivers and or imcompatibility.

Edited by jds63, 14 May 2015 - 12:59 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Ok.  So I am going to delete all partitions and then try installing the 8.1 fresh.  We'll see what happens.  Hopefully, it will do it.  

I did run another check disk and it does say there are about 32 bad clusters.  I'm not sure what that means.  It also says that has made the corrections and no further action is required.  

At this point, I don't think we'll know why it failed.  I just need to see if I can get the OS installed and then prevent the re-occurrence by updating all drivers as possible. Hopefully, this will be able to be resolved.  I can tell you that the last time I installed Windows 8.1 DID NOT partition the recovery so only my original recovery and the OS system partitions were there.  Each time since that I've tried to install it creates the 350 MG recovery partition (so I end up with 3 partitions).  So if it had created that the first time I may have been able to use the recovery options when the problems started.  For some reason it didn't load the same way the first time.

Thank you,

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Ok.  So I am going to delete all partitions and then try installing the 8.1 fresh.  We'll see what happens.  Hopefully, it will do it.  

I did run another check disk and it does say there are about 32 bad clusters.  I'm not sure what that means.  It also says that has made the corrections and no further action is required.  

At this point, I don't think we'll know why it failed.  I just need to see if I can get the OS installed and then prevent the re-occurrence by updating all drivers as possible. Hopefully, this will be able to be resolved.  I can tell you that the last time I installed Windows 8.1 DID NOT partition the recovery so only my original recovery and the OS system partitions were there.  Each time since that I've tried to install it creates the 350 MG recovery partition (so I end up with 3 partitions).  So if it had created that the first time I may have been able to use the recovery options when the problems started.  For some reason it didn't load the same way the first time.

Thank you,

Ali

Bad clusters are not an issue, bad sector count would be, wish i could of seen the chkdsk log. This point assume best bet is to delete all partitions at advanced install option on the installation of Windows 8.1. One other post ishowed you a good tutorial from Eight-Forums, this gave you all your options for clean install. Let's do this, then we will work on rest, like drivers, checking the hard drive again. Let's get past it, get it running.No need to go back to XP as not a secure OS anymore, not supported and have windows 8.1 disc.

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

Edited by jds63, 14 May 2015 - 01:44 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Ok.  so it now cannot install required files.  The file doesn't exist.  Error Code: 0x80070002.  I looked this up and when upgrading or installing an update and has to do with some incompatibility but I'm installing clean.  Other option is that the DVD Drive is problem.  I can create bootable USB and I tried to but can't get it to load properly.  I created ISO image and I used USB/DVD download tool but it's not working.  It copies but says not bootable.  Can you help?  Maybe this has all been problem with DVD Drive and incompatibility w/update as I saw others problems like this after an update.  

Thank you,

Ali

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Ok.  so it now cannot install required files.  The file doesn't exist.  Error Code: 0x80070002.  I looked this up and when upgrading or installing an update and has to do with some incompatibility but I'm installing clean.  Other option is that the DVD Drive is problem.  I can create bootable USB and I tried to but can't get it to load properly.  I created ISO image and I used USB/DVD download tool but it's not working.  It copies but says not bootable.  Can you help?  Maybe this has all been problem with DVD Drive and incompatibility w/update as I saw others problems like this after an update.  

Thank you,

Ali

Never got this error code, many reasons for it as you saw. Bad disc, bad dvd drive, hard drive and something is incompatible. Seen this more with update, like windows update, store app updates and when people upgraded to 8.1 through windows store.

Similar to what you see ? The file does not exist. Makes sure all files required for installation are available, and restart Error code:0x80070002.

DVD Drives do not need a different driver, but can be either something wrong with it, since it worked last time.

Need a Bootable ISO or ISO image to use the Windows USB/DVD Tool

If disc is  dirty or bad, creating this bootable USB flash drive may not work or if some other cause, is causing this, we are not sure yet.

If want to try, download Burnaware free http://www.burnaware.com/download.html

Select make a boot ISO. Either use Windows USB/DVD Tool or you can use Rufus to copy it to the USB  Flash drive  https://rufus.akeo.ie/   After need to select the USB flash drive when you boot, instead of the DVD drive, with it plugged in before boot, will be on list after press F8, F9,F10,F12 whichever you use for your system get you to the boot manager.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by jds63, 15 May 2015 - 03:34 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I'll try it.  Disc is new only used for initial install and again recently.  It was purchased retail version.  I'll try to use burnware and see if I can get install off USB.  DVD drive could just be A problem and not the only problem.  When I looked up this code almost all the same code problem were people trying to install an update or upgrade not clean install, so I'm not sure why I would get this error code.  Files it needs should be on the install disk not looking on hard drive, right?  At any rate. If I can get bootable USB it would at least answer that question.  If it works, then I know DVD is going bad or is bad. 

Thank you!!

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

True, i never dealt with this error code, an installation update error, can even be received with regular windows updates when using a PC. Odd if reading the DVD at first, then decides not to, as most problem with drives are reading or writing, could also be something with compatibility of how it is hooked to motherboard, SATA controller issues.

Yes i believe so, being on disc, should not need even a network connection to update. I believe i know what part you mean during the install of Windows 8.1. Is it second to last part where error occurs, says it's updating ? Not easy when not right in front of the PC.

Know find any pics of exactly what i mean. You are welcome,btw!

Edited by jds63, 15 May 2015 - 05:01 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

A part of Windows users met the problem of blue screen. No matter Windows 7/8 /8.1 or recent Windows 10. How can we avoid Windows blue screen, how can we start Windows in safe mode? I also want to get the answers.

Googling always help you get these answers  http://windows.micro...tings-safe-mode

Need to state the exact problem you were getting and how, plus make and model of system. This member has not responded back, since May 2015 to know if all is resolved.BSOD Blue screen of death can be caused by many reasons, going into safe mode or clean boot as shown using MSCONFIG matter by the problems you exactly been having.If stuck on blue screen or get them randomly.