Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about System 76 Laptops.

warranty software Linux swap OS

Best Answer SuperSapien , 28 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

SuperSapien said: ... one of there customer service agents told me that you can replace the default OS with whatever you want ... And they should certainly know better than an outsider abou... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SuperSapien

SuperSapien

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

I'm thinking about purchasing a System 76 Laptop and I was told that you can install what ever operating system you want on there computers without voiding the warranty. And I was wondering if anyone here can testify for that? I really like the idea of having the basic freedom to install whatever I want on my hardware without voiding the warranty I just hope it's true. :geek:

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Booting and running whatever *nix OS you like on say a Dell or HP laptop shouldn't void the warranty. I do it all the time. It doesn't hurt anything. Plug in the USB stick with your favorite OS and boot it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System76

They are notable for their support of open-source software, only offering Ubuntu as the installed operating system

Edited by SpywareDr, 27 July 2015 - 07:24 PM.

SuperSapien

SuperSapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Booting and running whatever *nix OS you like on say a Dell or HP laptop shouldn't void the warranty. I do it all the time. It doesn't hurt anything. Plug in the USB stick with your favorite OS and boot it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System76

They are notable for their support of open-source software, only offering Ubuntu as the installed operating system

Yeah but I'm talking about replacing the OS with another. And one of there customer service agents told me that you can replace the default OS with whatever you want and if he wasn't mistaken then that's awesome because I would love to have Linux Mint running on it. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

The warranty is for the hardware/labour, can't see that another OS would break it.

You should be aware that the Motherboards do not support UEFI, only the older BIOS.   Not so important for Open Source but some work to do if you install Windows.

> http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Windows_-_Add_MS_Windows_to_Your_System76_Machine  

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

SuperSapien said:

... one of there customer service agents told me that you can replace the default OS with whatever you want ...

And they should certainly know better than an outsider about their company's warranty.

SuperSapien

SuperSapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
✓  Best Answer

SuperSapien said:

... one of there customer service agents told me that you can replace the default OS with whatever you want ...

And they should certainly know better than an outsider about their company's warranty.

I reverified that today by calling them again and yes you can replace the OS with whatever you want.

I guess I was little skeptical at first its just so unheard of, although I'm very please to know that they allow this. :spoton:

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Carry your favorite *nix Operating Systems on bootable USB keys on your keyring. Many(/most?) computers today will boot and run them with no trouble whatsoever. Works for me. :)