Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 dead USB ports

hardware USB Port Lenovo

Best Answer Roger Blair , 06 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

amarkkassery, I think I've got things fixed. I started having a variety of other problems, so I decided to restore my system. To my consternation, every reboot left me at a blank page where nothing... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest that guide doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me, it says "To enable the update for a specific device" yet how can you get the specific devices id number etc if the usb device plugged into the port doesn't show up in the first place, unless it does show up but just doesn't work?

sorry i don't have a windows pc up and running to run through the guides and give you exact steps but maybe this link will better help you find the correct numbers :- http://blogs.msdn.co...mentPosted=true

steps 2 and 3 from here also tell you how to find the correct numbers :- http://www.thewindow...working-windows

might be a bit late now but i hope you backed up your registry like the guides tell you to so we can always go back to where you started from and try these edits again if we need to.

on second thoughts lets forget about editing the registry further at the moment and try something else, open the device manager and uninstall everything that shows up under universal seriel bus controllers then reboot the machine and see if things now work when windows finds and installs them again.

:popcorn:

Advertisements

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

terry1966, Iuniinstalled all the USB devices, then rebooted. The devices  came back, but the ports still don't work.

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Roger, what do you mean by the "two ports do work" when you tried the OpenSuse disk boot? How did you check it?

Can you load up BIOS (UEFI), and check to see if your "dead ports" work, by plugging a USB drive into it and seeing if you can see that on your boot order (It might show up as HDD or as USB). To load into UEFI:

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
  • Under PC settings, tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
  • Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
  • Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.
  • Tap or click UEFI Firmware Settings.
    If you don't see the UEFI Firmware Settings option, tap or click Advanced options, and then tap or click UEFI FIrmware Settings.
  • Tap or click Restart.

Edited by amarkkassery, 31 August 2015 - 06:52 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok answer amarkkassery first then we'll start from the begining.

for the malfunctioning device mf\cc_0c0320 can you click properties and then look under device status and see what if any error code is there, then maybe we can figure out why you can't install a driver for it.

post-405950-0-50361000-1439851475_thumb.

if the code is 43 see if this solves the problem :- http://blogs.msdn.co...th-code-43.aspx

also can you check to see if there are any lenovo programs installed that may mention anything to do with usb3.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

amarkkassery, a USB stick plugged into a dead port does show up in the boot order.

terry1966,

• the error number is 28 (missing driver), not 43; and
  • I could find no Lenovo-supplied that specifically referred to a USB3.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok roger can you run windows troubleshooter, maybe that can fix the problem :- http://windows.micro...ith-usb-devices

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

amarkkassery, when I said that "both ports work" under Linux, I tried using the mouse and it worked.

terry1966,

• First, I misspoke about the usb devices ethe devices earlier; the devices I spokie about were under "Miscellaneous Devices" (the ones I could not find drivers for)--they came back on my next reboot. Ijust deleted the tems under "Universal Serial Bus' and rebooted; those items did not come back on the next reboot. (BTW, how do I bring them back [other than refreshing my system]?)
  • I have yet to perform the other registry hack you mentioned earlier--I need to locate the emails. where that was discussed.
  • I tried running the suggested troubleshooter--it did not apply to my system.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok so here :-  post-405950-0-94258700-1439834752_thumb.

you no longer have universal serial bus controllers listed? so no devices under that at all?

try uninstalling the 4 unknown devices again then power off the laptop put the mouse in one of the non working ports and reboot and now see if windows will find and install drivers.

to be honest if you can't install drivers for the unknown devices then i think there must be a windows problem somewhere so it may well come down to a refresh unless you have a restore point from when the ports where working.

can you go into your bios and see if there is a legacy usb setting somewhere and if so disable it and then see if the ports work now.

I have yet to perform the other registry hack you mentioned earlier--I need to locate the emails. where that was discussed.

from my understanding those registry edits should no longer be needed anyway because a windows update should have fixed the problems those hacks were for, speaking of which is your os fully updated can you run a manual check and install everything it suggests.

Edited by terry1966, 01 September 2015 - 09:26 AM.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

terry1966, I didn't have a restore point from before I got this problem; the best Icould is restore the USB devices.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest you shouldn't need to restore to an earlier point for the usb hubs to be found and drivers installed again, windows should find them on a restart and even if it can't install the drivers for some unknown reason they should still show up as more unknown devices in device manager.

before doing a restore can you try and install the drivers again from this post :- http://www.geekstogo...s/#entry2524131

and this post :- http://www.geekstogo...-2#entry2524402

don't worry if any are older than what you have installed just install them anyway if possible.

you may need to try and install the win 7 driver in compatibility mode :- http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

if still no luck can you show us everything in device manager again like you did in earlier posts before we decide to go the restore to an earlier date route, must admit if this was my machine though i think i'd have just backed everything up by now and then done a clean install/refresh of win 8.1 because i'm running out of ideas on what to try next to fix this problem.

did you run the windows update tool and make sure everything was upto date?

also can you do a clean boot and see if the usb ports work :- https://support.micr...en-us/kb/929135

Edited by terry1966, 01 September 2015 - 08:13 PM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok roger can you run windows troubleshooter, maybe that can fix the problem :- http://windows.micro...ith-usb-devices

think i gave you the wrong link before, can you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter :- http://windows.micro...talled-properly

and see if it can find and fix your problem if nothing in the above post has worked so far.

Edited by terry1966, 01 September 2015 - 09:21 PM.

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Roger, The only other thing that I can think off is to go follow these instructions, to create a bootable USB. While you boot into the USB (from following instructions for advanced startup, and to boot into that drive), and plug your mouse into those dead ports, check to see if it works. If it does, then you'll need to follow terry1966's suggestion to refresh your PC or to reinstall Windows from scratch. (You'll loose all data, if you don't have a backup, and you'll need to make sure that you have installation media for all your installed programs.)

Sorry, that I couldn't be of any better help to you.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
✓  Best Answer
amarkkassery, I think I've got things fixed. I started having a variety of other problems, so I decided to restore my system. To my consternation, every reboot left me at a blank page where nothing worked except cutting the power and starting over. Therefore, I decided on the "nuclear" option--rebuilding the system from the ground up. I've gotten the system up to 8.1, and I'm in the process of putting the rest of the system together now. (The wireless mouseI guess this closes the case; MANY thanks to you and terry1966 for all your help (and especially all your patience).

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry we couldn't find an easier fix for you roger but without the machine being in front of me then the "nuclear" option was probably the only thing left i could think of to try anyway to be honest,

i take it all the ports do work fine again now?

I started having a variety of other problems

this bit does concern me slightly so it might be a good idea to run a check of your hard drive just to make sure it isn't failing.

usually the best thing to do is find the make of the hard drive then go to it's web site and use their hard drive testing software.

eg. for a seagate drive there's seatools :-  http://www.seagate.c...es/desktop-hdd/

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

terry1966, thanks for the suggestion. Iran the Seagate tester, and it found no problems.