Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot stuck on aswrvrt.sys after Windows 10 to Windows 7 revert

Windows 10 Windows 7 bsod Avast

Best Answer SleepyDude , 10 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hi, According with image you posted the OnChip SATA type option on the BIOS can have other values RAID, Legacy IDE, IDE -> AHCI try them all see if any of those option allow you to have th... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hi,

Now you lost me! So you didn't use the feature included on Windows 10 to revert back to Windows 7?

Restoring the image from one machine to another with different hardware usually results in a failed boot and lots of problems due to the different drivers used, etc. also Windows will deactivate the license.

Did you restore a full image containing all the partitions or only the OS partition?

Yes I did use the Windows 10 feature! But after that my computer got stuck in the reboot loop. When I tried to boot normally and with safe mode I was prompted to create the Windows 7 Repair Disk. I did that and tried the different options there and that's when I apparently chose the wrong image file and messed up my computer.. As I was still unable to boot I thought that it was the correct image for the computer and that I didn't do anything wrong. After that I posted my problem to Avast forums and they guided me here.

Yes. For example my screen is unable to go to 1920x1080 resolution and license is deactivated.

I think it was a full image. The backup was dated about a year ago so I'm not 100% sure. Are there some data recovery programs that could be helpful?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I think it was a full image. The backup was dated about a year ago so I'm not 100% sure. Are there some data recovery programs that could be helpful?

I don't know of any program that can recover data when it was overwritten with new files.

At this point the only option I see is to delete everything and start fresh by reinstalling Windows 10 or Windows 7.

If Windows 10 was previously installed and activated, now when doing a clean install it should activate automatically.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I don't know of any program that can recover data when it was overwritten with new files.

At this point the only option I see is to delete everything and start fresh by reinstalling Windows 10 or Windows 7.

If Windows 10 was previously installed and activated, now when doing a clean install it should activate automatically.

Okay so then I'll just do a reinstall. I'll mark this thread as solved. I learned many new things while trying to fix this. Thank you really much for your time and trouble over such a long period of time and with such a complex problem. I'll recommend you guys whenever any of my friends might need help with their computer problems!

-kajari-

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Okay so then I'll just do a reinstall. I'll mark this thread as solved. I learned many new things while trying to fix this. Thank you really much for your time and trouble over such a long period of time and with such a complex problem. I'll recommend you guys whenever any of my friends might need help with their computer problems!

-kajari-

Ok. We all learn something :)

If you need more help don't hesitate to ask.