Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update error after new HDD recovery

windows 7 update error Aussietim home home premium

• Please log in to reply

Aussietim

Aussietim

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hey Guys,

So Ive received alot of help from this forum in the past and now i'm back again with a new issue i cant fix.

Ive searched for a fix, there is a few related fixes but nothing worked for my computer

Story goes:

Everything was running well when my hard drive crashed and was causing huge issues and wouldnt even boot, so basically i brought a new hard drive.

Installed it, Used my original recovery disc's to reinstall windowns 7 home premium. (screen shot attached of system info)

Now i have began the process of updating driver and windows.

When i go to 'Windows Update' i get this error message saying (attached a screen shot)

"windows cannot check for update due to the service not running, You may need to restart your computer"

Of course i have resarted my computer several times and tried a few fixes ive seen on the forums but no avail, still not able to update.

Is anyone able to help me?

I'm more than willing to learn and be easy to work with.

Thanks,

Aussietim

Attached Thumbnails

• Systen info.JPG
  • update.JPG

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

In the Search box, type:

services.msc and then hit Enter.  That should bring up the Services Menu.  Scroll down until you find Windows Update.  This is the service that supposedly isn't running.  Is it running?  If not, right click on it and select Properties then verify that the Startup Type is set to Automatic (Delayed Start).  If it isn't then change it with the down arrow and then APPLY.  Try and Start the service.  Do you get an error message?

You can also run the System Update Readiness Tool:  https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=20858

.Sometimes this will help.

Also Windows Repair All In One has an option to repair the update.

:http://www.tweaking....all_in_one.html

Download it and save it then run it by right click and run as Admin.  Skip to the Repairs Tab.  

Unselect All then check the Repair Windows Updates box then Start Repairs.

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot. 

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).
sfc  /scannow

(This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint?  IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt 
notepad \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt 

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

(Second time you run vew it will overwrite the first log so copy it to a reply or rename it first.)

Aussietim

Aussietim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hey RKinner,

Thanks heaps for your help.

1. I've opend the services.msc and followed the propmpts, the service is running and currently on automatic (delayed start)  - I changed nothing in this step.

2. Tweaking.com windows repairs prompts me to reboot the computer, which i do with no issues.

3. I've downloaded the system update readyness tool - i attemp to run it but i have an error message come up before the application opens (screenshot included)

4. the command prompt scf scannow completes and states that it could not fix everything, hence i move onto the next step.

5. after copy/paste, ive attached the note pad to the reply, its labled 'cmd C-p'

6. ive downoaded and ran the attached file, system note pad is attached as 'system'

and application selection is attached as 'applicaton'

Ontop of all that, windows update is still coming up with the same error....

Tim.

Attached Thumbnails

• system readyness update error.JPG

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Don't see VEW Applications log.

System log just shows Search is having problems but that's common.

See if anything on this page helps:

http://answers.micro...fc-68b599b31bf5

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  Download, Save and Install it.  

Close all browsers and open progrms before running Speccy.  Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.)  Save the file and close notepad  Attach the file to your next post as it is usually too large for the forum (Click on More Reply Options then Choose file, select the file, Open, Attach this File) Uninstall Speccy.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Also its it an Intel system?   If so see:  http://kb.macrium.co...ticle50229.aspx

Aussietim

Aussietim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Sorry, it appears as if i had attached the system log from VEW twice, i've attached the applications to this post.

I've installed the Intel rapid storage technology program it seems to have changed nothing.

I've had a look at the link youve provided on the microsoft website but i struggled to follow alot of it.

I've installed Speccy and attached the text file below. its called GATEWAY1-PC.

(also had deleted the serial number as instructed)

As i was typing this reply a notification came up from next to the clock on the bottom right of the screen notifying me of updates being installed.

It now appears as if the windows update is functioning and installing updates. i've attached a screen shot to this reply too. 

Question:

I plan to update to windows 10, am i able to do that without installing all updates, can i just skip to windows 10?

Attached Thumbnails

• Update.JPG

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I wouldn't try updating unless I had all the updates.  I would also uninstall my anti-virus before doing the upgrade and reinstall it after the upgrade.  That way tends to work better tho you can probably live without an anti-virus. Win 10 has the beefed up Windows Defender which is pretty good.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/12/2015 12:51:47 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 257 Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was: -583.

This is probably why updates were failing.  Make sure this error is no longer happening.

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot. 

2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* Application
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Aussietim

Aussietim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Ok thanks, i'll be sure to update before uprgading to Win 10.

I've done as instrcuted and below is copy/paste from the notebook VEW.exe has produced.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 13/12/2015 4:33:12 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
'Application' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/12/2015 5:59:25 AM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 6004 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
The winlogon notification subscriber <TrustedInstaller> failed a critical notification event.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/12/2015 5:59:12 AM
Event: 6006 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
The winlogon notification subscriber <TrustedInstaller> took 300 second(s) to handle the notification event (CreateSession).

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/12/2015 5:55:12 AM
Event: 6005 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
The winlogon notification subscriber <TrustedInstaller> is taking long time to handle the notification event (CreateSession).

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you get new instances of the  <TrustedInstaller> errors in VEW Aoolications after your next reboot, then see MowGreen's answer on http://answers.micro...46f2de7d?auth=1

There is also an MS fixit on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/836941