Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer Recorded shows from DVR to Computer?

USB External Hard drive dvr firewire recorded shows

• Please log in to reply

UltiTyler

UltiTyler

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, this is my first post here so helpful feedback as how I did would be nice. I'm having issues trying to figure out if I can at all possible transfer 9 specific TV shows on my Motorola DCX3501-M (DVR) to my computer. Before posting this I took a glance at the back of the DVR box. It comes with the following ports. Firewire, esata, and USB. Notice I only have a USB external hard drive, I do not own anything esata, or firewire that i know of. So at first I tried to plug in my external hard drive into the USB port. However it never registers or gives me an option to load files onto it. So I unplugged it and searched the web a bit but got no helpful results. My only other option here. Is to hook that television up to my computer and my DVR box at the same time. Record that monitor or TV with some software that I have for 9 straight hours while I play the shows back to back from my DVR.I don't even know if I can do this but even if I could this is obviously not an efficient use of my time so I ask does anyone have any ideas to help me avoid this tedious use of my time?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest i think your only option is to play them and record them in real time on the pc with something like this.:-  http://www.hauppauge...ata_hdpvr2.html

the recordings are encrypted while stored on the dcx i believe so even if you took the hard drive out and connected it to the pc and copied them across you wouldn't be able to play them anyway.

don't see how your idea of recording the tv picture with a screen capture program on the pc will work either, considering the tv picture will be on a separate channel to the channel your pc is on and why you'd need the above device to go in between the dvr and tv so it can intercept the videos and pass them to the pc.

you may even need a hdmi splitter so the dvr thinks it's connected directly to the tv and will decode and play them too. :- http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B006KZBC92

don't forget depending on what country your in copying the videos to another device may be illegal. ;)

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 16 February 2016 - 12:38 PM.