Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV sound system issue

TV soundsystem xbox audio

Best Answer Nyser , 04 March 2016 - 08:00 PM

Hi MannyTheManster, Unfortunately I can't answer your question exactly but I may have some information for you. The best way is to connect your receiver to your TV via HDMI and optical au... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

MannyTheManster

MannyTheManster

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Say I have my Xbox One connected to my TV with a HDMI cable and my TV connected to a sound system with a digital audio cable. Will the sound system play the audio from my Xbox or will it only play the audio from the TV itself? 

The reason I ask is because someone I know said that the digital audio cable only plays the audio from the TV itself and not any devices connected to the TV. They said if I want to play the audio from a separate device like my Xbox then I would have to connect it directly to the sound system via HDMI cable.

Advertisements

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi MannyTheManster,

Unfortunately I can't answer your question exactly but I may have some information for you.

The best way is to connect your receiver to your TV via HDMI and optical audio cable, for all your other devices hook them up to your receiver with HDMI as well. If you run the devices off your TV your audio might be limited to plain 2.0(Depends on what type of TV not all TVs limit the audio) instead of 5.1/7.1 or whatever you have.

I would recommend using a optical cable instead of HDMI ARC because on some TVs/Device you can have a lot of issues with it.

In short the best setup is, connect receiver to TV with HDMI and optical, connect other devices to receiver with HDMI. This way you avoid TV limitations and HDMI ARC issues.