Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer; Idles @ 70+% Memory

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Your BIOS pic shows XMP to be disabled, did you take it before enabling and saving the XMP setting in the BIOS.

High voltages and CPU usage again showing (see attachment below for comparison)

Voltage
CPU CORE: 1.224 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.736 V
+3.3V: 3.456 V

Could be a faulty MB or PSU, the PSU being most likely I would suggest that if you can you borrow a known good and compatible PSU for testing, any PSU must be a minimum of 450 Watts and produce 32 amps on the +12V rail.

Advertisements

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Your BIOS pic shows XMP to be disabled, did you take it before enabling and saving the XMP setting in the BIOS.

I initially thought that setting "Ai Overclock Tuner" (the first option) to XMP was what you were referring to, but I completely missed the option just below it. I went back in to the BIOS, but the eXtreme Memory Profile option is greyed-out. I went through all 4 of the Ai Overclock Tuner options and none of them un-greyed out the XMP.  The four options for Ai Overclock Tuner were Auto (which is what it originally was), Manual, XMP (what I recent selected), and then some other option that I forget the name of, like DRAM or something like that.

Could be a faulty MB or PSU, the PSU being most likely I would suggest that if you can you borrow a known good and compatible PSU for testing, any PSU must be a minimum of 450 Watts and produce 32 amps on the +12V rail.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU, or know of anyone who has one.

Any other ideas? Should I try one of the other BIOS settings?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Did you check the XMP info in the MBs user manual, if you do not have a copy, download from here

If you cannot borrow a PSU ask a local tech store if they can test yours for you, some will do it free of charge and others for a small fee, please ask them first.

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I checked the motherboard manual. It says that XMP is only available if you install memory modules that support it. When I set "Ai Overclock Tuner" mode to XMP, the XMP settings are greyed out set to disabled, so I assume that my memory modules do not support it.

There is an OC Tuner Utility, which says that it will automatically "adjust system parameters and reboots several times for the best overclocking result." Should I give that a try?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Would have to agree with no XMP, the RAM being quite old makes reliable info difficult to find  :(

There is an OC Tuner Utility, which says that it will automatically "adjust system parameters and reboots several times for the best overclocking result." Should I give that a try?

Worth a try, you can always reverse it if things do not run smoothly, I do not overclock and do not recommend it tbh but auto OC is less likely to cause problems than tweaking voltages manually unless a person knows what they are doing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you dvd7e, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

The issue hasn't been resolved, but my effort to fix it has been running low on steam. I don't have a backup PSU, and haven't put in the time to find, and go to, and a store to get it tested. I guess I can still try the AI overclocking thing.

Otherwise, is there anything else to try or look at?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Trying the AI tool and having the PSU tested are about your only two options left I`m afraid  :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you dvd7e, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I tried running the Auto OC Tuner Utility, then restarted my computer and let it idle for a few minutes. Here's my latest Speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.pirifo...pqHngF6DQYRnXQF

And here's the SpeedFan report:

SpeedFan_20161023.jpg

Memory usage is still >50%, although system temps are quite a bit higher. I also had to move my computer b/c my toddler kept getting into it, but I can't see any reason why that would affect the temps, so I imagine that's due to the overclocking. Is there anything of note that jumps out at you here?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thank you for the update dvd7e  :thumbsup:

The AI program is making things hotter so I suggest that you disable it asap.

Cost and convenience wise you are only left with having the PSU tested now, the high temps are effectively frying your hardware which unfortunately may have already suffered long term damage, the MB itself is the only other thing that controls voltages going to such items as the CPU, RAM and PCI-E/PCI slots by way of voltage regulators (VRMs) and MOSFETS, if faulty they generally are not a cost effective repair.

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

So I reset to the BIOS defaults, and the temps are back to normal. I ordered an ESD wrist strap online, and I think I might have found a coworker who has a spare PSU that he can let me borrow.

What's the minimum number of  hardware elements that I should disconnect from the old PSU and connect to the new PSU? Can I (in terms of a best-practice, not if it's physically possible) leave my current PSU installed in the computer tower, but just hook up the motherboard to the new PSU, while leaving the new PSU sitting nearby on the floor?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Everything from the present PSU needs to be disconnected from the MB and best/safest practice is to remove the PSU altogether and then fit the replacement, before disconnecting anything, write on sticky tape where each connection from the PSU goes then attach it to the particular PSU connection concerned.

Please note that any replacement PSU should be of adequate quality and output, a 450/500W bronze rated PSU is the minimum here as recommended by your graphics card manufacturer. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I still need assistance, I'm still planning on switching out the power supply but I haven't had an opportunity yet. This has slipped a bit on my priority list, haven't forgotten about it though, so it might be a month or so before I can make time to do it. Once I get the new power supply switched in, I'll get SpeedFan and Speccy reports and post them, and then I'll try and wait for a reply from you before switching back out to my normal PSU.