Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Required?

CPU GPU

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hello,

I have recently been trying out the BF1 beta on my PC and this has made me start to think that my system needs an upgrade of sorts however im unsure where to start or even if an upgrade is needed as the game i was "testing" on is still in beta.

But basically my system is.

i5 3470

8GB Ram

R9 290 Tri X OC

I play games on my PC mostly but also do photo editing to a professional level.

I play in 4k and dont mind adjusting my graphical settings to Low on most modern Games which is what is required for a 60fps+ experience.

However on BF1 im getting strange drops in FPS as low as 25FPS for what seems to be no apparent reason.

To test this i have sat staring at a wall or static section of a map and found the FPS is around 65-75fps only to drop off down to 25fps for several seconds then the FPS to shoot back to as it was before, this seems to happen every few minutes.

I checked on MSI afterburner and found the GPU going from 100% flat to wildly yo-yoing for several seconds from 100% to 0% I checked the temps etc and this was 78-79C (fine for 290) 

However I did notice that the CPU was hitting 100% load for several seconds and only dropping to around 95% I tried changing resolution and although this did help a little the issue remained IE the FPS was around 90 dropping to around 30-35fps then back to 90 again.

Is this simply something i'm worrying about with no need to as the game is still only in beta, or is it an underlying issue with aging hardware not able to keep up with modern titles? Should i start to look at upgrading? If so where would i start as in which component/s?

Thanks again,

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday joybz.

Is this simply something i'm worrying about with no need to as the game is still only in beta, or is it an underlying issue with aging hardware not able to keep up with modern titles? Should i start to look at upgrading? If so where would i start as in which component/s?

No need to worry.   After reading a few reviews for the game, many people having similar issues.   The game is full of bugs, after all, Beta software is released for testing.   

Your CPU is very good, an i5 Skylake is marginality better.   Not worth the $s to upgrade.

GPU, good.  Look at the game results from this review, the R9 290 is up there,  again not worth the $s; reckon you would need to go to a GTX 980ti for a substantial performance gain, even then, 4K gaming is pretty limiting. 

http://www.guru3d.co...z-review,1.html

Possible upgrades.

Install an after market cooler and permanently overclock the CPU, help to limit the choke point.

Editing.

16GB or RAM is often beneficial for most editing software.

Depending on software, 3+drives.

A scratch disk/volume,  

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Thank you again for the help, iammykyl.

The CPU I have and as I understand cant be overclocked, i5 3450 not then i5 3570k. 

I know 15 years back you could overclock a CPU with the FSB.

I'm addition I also have a budget Asus board which is a non overclock-able board. Obviously if i am wrong i would love to know how i can go about overclocking this CPU for that little bit more performance, I do actually already have an aftermarket cooler a noctua cooler which i purchased for looks more than functionality although it did help cool my CPU at the time of purchase regardless.

I think the best option at the moment is to just wait while BF1 is released then try again? I was actually eyeing up the to be released kaby Lake i5 xxxxK along with looking out for news on the RX 490, however in the whole im happy with the system as it is it was just BF1 open beta made me feel i was somewhat lacking on the newest titles and all my testing (dropping resolution + lowest settings in game, monitoring the CPU/GPU/RAM in game) seemed to point at the CPU running at 100% load and bottlnecking my GPU.

Thanks again,

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcome :thumbsup: 

I am not much of an overclocker, so you will need to find a decent guide.  If you MB has it, try  "Turbo Boost", part of the JJ video. > http://www.pcper.com...w/Overclocking-

It is possible to o/c Ivy Bridge CPUs on MBs with the Z77, Z75 and H75 Chipsets, and as far as I understand, on even low end MBs. > http://www.anandtech...er-point-ssds/2

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Thanks again,

I think mine being on a budget board is locked.

What I may do is wait until Kaby Lake and wait untill BF1 is actually released then do a little more testing with the possibility of refreshing my sytem to a Kaby lake i5 "K" series with an overclockable motherboard and a few more features, like ram slots USB3 and crossfire so this sort of issue i am having now does not resurface again in a few years time.

I have tried MSI OSD and found my CPU is fine in all the games im playing however in BF1/4 i see my CPU being pushed much closer to and including the 100% value on 4 cores.

Thanks again for your time and i will update this thread with my decision in several months time.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Although topics are left open, so you could come back here later, other Tech helpers will see it is old, has many replies, so may not browse it.   I suggest that when you are ready, start a new topic.   You are in my lists, so will see it and you will get fresh eyes as well.

You are very welcome :thumbsup: 

Good luck.